ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Don't use cheap K&N filters

Golf GTD Mk7
When i had the clio serviced in October i had the TB cleaned for the first time after 48K (looked cleaner than these pics). Anyway, put a K&N cone on at chrismas and now look at it. Took it off, gave it a clean and you can see the difference.

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

It made a nice sound i might add, but i was never convinced it made a difference to throttle response. This sort of proves the opposite. I think the noise tends to make us think that there is more power there.
I've stuff the OE filter on for now with the acoustic valve caf disconnected and it sounds just as good. Got a V6 box waiting to go on (maybe). Still can't decide.

Moral of the story, dont buy cheap filters.

Also, stupid question, but is the plenum supposed to be wet inside? :S

Golf GTD Mk7
the acoustic one is the one which attaches to the right hand side of the box. easy to disconnect

It made a nice sound i might add, but i was never convinced it made a difference to throttle response. This sort of proves the opposite. I think the noise tends to make us think that there is more power there.

You'll have probably been down on power with it due to the fact it'll be heatsoak city in there with an open cone.

Black 197
I wanna ask a question as everyone bangs on about "Heatsoak"

I was at the south Mimms meet last weekend and had a good chat with the boys from JMS Tuning about this heatsoak business, Ok so we know the colder the air the denser it is but if you think about it the engine bay temp is prob around 40 degrees but the actual air intake plenum (sp?) is prob at around 100 degrees if not hotter.

So does it really make a difference if you try and lower the temps in a standard box with a CAF, By the time it gets in the plenum (sp?) it'll be heated right back up

Aftermarket filters are no where near as good in terms of filtration as paper elments, however the oily deposits have come from the crankcase breather!

Golf GTD Mk7
100 degrees in plenum? didn't feel that warm after a good journey round the block. I see your point though. Think its just to aid the engine temp on input

Golf GTD Mk7
Aftermarket filters are no where near as good in terms of filtration as paper elments, however the oily deposits have come from the crankcase breather!

It never used to do this though. why now? it was a bit oily by the breather pipe in the elbow. It looked like there was oil in the plenum when i looked in.

RS RIP
the TB is'nt getting dirty by a "cheap" K&N (which are good filters) ..

The crankcase breathertube connected to the elbow frequently spits out oilfumes/residue which is sucked in to be burned .. Evironmental friendly design , sucks if you want to keep the TB clean. That would be you moist inside there also m8

You can disconnect the tube, block up the hole on the elbow (or buy a nice aftermarket one without the hole) and stick a little breatherfilter on the end of the tube, or a oil-catch tank which can also look pretty damn nice in the bay.

I just went for a breatherfilter, sometimes the burned oil-smell travels through to the cabin though..:dead:

Black 197
I used to run a Powertec IK from K-Tec on my 182, sounded awesome but as many say no gain to be had, I used to clean it regular though but i never had muck like that in my throttle body... Could be from the breather like others have said

Golf GTD Mk7
it has never done this before though. why now? is it a problem having oil in the plenum also?

Which is best then? a breather or catcher?

Any aftermarket filter cannot meet the filtration quality of an OEM filter its not all from the K&N but it will be letting more crap in than the standard paper element

Black 197
I doubt having a minor residue of oil in the plenum will be a problem as it'll burn in time or be sucked into the combustion chamber and be burnt, Im no expert but from the schematics of things it cant be a big problem unless it was pis*sing oil in

Black Gold Trophy
LOL at the absolute tripe written in this thread!

That build up of black sh*t on your butterfly is actually from the oil breather hose which is connected between your plenum and your filter, so it has about as much to do with your filter as the lottery numbers!

Vauxhall ecotec engines are possibly the worst for this and you will find many an example where you can't see any of the metal on the throttle due to the extent of the sludge build up!

I have counteracted this problem on my 182 by fitting a baffled oil catch tank.

K&N filters are more expensive than OEM ones, and the OEM paper ones are used because they are 'cheap'

Last edited:
  RS RIP

Why do'nt they filter as good ? The paper ones are i think used because they're good enough and a LOT cheaper. When they would fit all these cars with ITG like foam filters from factory you would be paying more for the car when buying it new. Manufacturers want to keep the price down..

The leading names in filters are just as good/ better than OEM.

And i also had a "puddle" of oil when looking at the elbow.. got sick of it + cleaning TB so off it went and on came the little filter thingy

edit*** repeats in other words Jack Davey ;-) ****

Golf GTD Mk7
you're missing the point, and its not a vauxhall ;) I;ll conceed there it wasn't the filter. why has it only just started doing it? too much oil in it?

Black Gold Trophy
It will always do it, but some fast driving round corners etc can often cause a heavier build up. Then clio cup race cars have an oil catch tank fitted too.

Golf GTD Mk7
where can you get the catch tanks from? I can find the breather filters. Incidentally, the cup racer uses the green set up no? why does everyone go on about maxogens if these are used on the quicker racer?