ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dont trust your petrol read out!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
well i dont usually believe everything the trip computer says, but yellow fuel light came on, 40 miles left on the trip computer, thought it would get me to a place 8 miles away, ended up dead at traffic lights 2 miles from destination!!

first time its happened, best bit was i couldnt get hold of anyone, so Big Iain was the knight in shining armour who came down to help out (legend!!)

The irony was the car quite literally turned 54k when i was going down the hill to the lights that she died at, just didnt weird, no music on or air con etc and the rev counter just started to dip under idle then stop. I was pretty popular at the lights!!

OH well, i had got 378.6 out the tank and the Gallons read out was at 10.1, so given its a 10g tank, thats pretty impressive!!

First time the lights came on and a small short trip couldnt be completed.

Mini Cooper S sport
oooh that could've happened to me the other day..

Petrol light came on, and the computer said I had 40 miles left - but then the readout went blank! I got a bit worried and instead of going home I went straight to the petrol station about a mile away. Guess it was just as well..

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
That happened to me in my 3rd month of ownership...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72855

Never since though. When it happened to me it was from a cold start and I was booting it a bit (it was still almost brand new) - and I ran out about 15 miles later.

good thread dig up.

the farce of it was that the light came on and about 8 miles after it, no petrol!!
usually its an indication thats theres under a gallon left.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
i ran mine very low, just filled up! i got a good 40+miles from when the light came on, i was drivin like a granny tho;)

oooh that could've happened to me the other day..

Petrol light came on, and the computer said I had 40 miles left - but then the readout went blank! I got a bit worried and instead of going home I went straight to the petrol station about a mile away. Guess it was just as well..

Mine always does that. I just ignore it and fill up approx 40 miles from when the light comes on. Hav'nt run out yet (touch wood), the least I've ever run it down to is about 7 litres.

That readout is really usefull the way it goes blank just as you start to approach filling up time. Not!

I ran out of petrol in the valver once, luckily i was just passing my house lol, so managed to coast in and grab a can of petrol that was meant for the mower... oops...

Mk4 .:R32
my trip computer doesn't show the amount of miles left when the petrol light comes on for some reason. just shows 3 dashed lines

Clio 182
I've also driven nearly 40 miles on the motorway with my light on.. I did start to get a bit worried after about 10 though!

My saab's trip computer shows how much petrol you have to the last mile, I've had that show 4 miles once! I really should stop being too lazy to stop at the closest services, thinking "it'll get to the next" one day my luck will run out :p

Trophy #267
they all do.
ahem i only ever ran out of petrol 3 times. 1st time was middle of nowhere but luckily 50ft from a petrol station. last time was on way to work but just round the corner and my boss helped me push it to work :O

sport 172 mk2
I run mine until the light comes on, then its prob no more than 8 miles to fill up. I Always reset the trip too. Only use it as a guide as to when the light comes on (seems to be about 35-40 miles left). Bit of a worry though if they are innacurate, if in doubt fill up I suppose.

Its no good running too low as you start to pick up the nasties at the bottom of your tank...

320d
I dont particually like digital fuel guages, if i want to be accurate i use the mini self diagnostic thingy that tells you exactly how much fuel you have left on board in liters.

This happened to my mate in his pug 307. Light came on and he ran out less than 8miles later.

OH well, i had got 378.6 out the tank and the Gallons read out was at 10.1, so given its a 10g tank, thats pretty impressive!!
50 liter tank officially so in theory will take about 11 gallons.
The sensors not that good have a good tolerance in it so at low level it just gives up showing miles left.
trip computers only work accuratly if u reset them every trip
Nope not true if you drive the same all the time then the longer you leave it the better if you chnage your driving style when the flue light comes on etc then it isn't as accuate as it won't take as good enough account of your chnage in style quick enough.

I remember about two months ago I was going down to my mums and the miles left to go was 78miles, now there is a shell not far from where they live 76miles.

Do I or don't I risk it. I was in a devil may care mood and chanced it.

Made it :D

Niiice.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
i reset the trip everytime i put fuel in. my petrol light comes on at 35 miles and i never risk going above 30 once its on, but also never under by much so it must be pretty accurate!

Megane 230 R26
The estimate by the trip computer is obviously based on your mpg, if you get a good mpg because a lot of your miles are on longer journeys on faster roads e.g. motorways, then that's what it's telling you - that you can do X amount of miles before you run out of fuel, doing that type of driving.

If that's the case and then your run to the petrol station is urban with lots of traffic lights, queues and stopping/starting, your remaining fuel is going to carry you quite a few less miles than estimated. If you bear this in mind, you should be fine.

Luckily it's the opposite for me, due to the amount of heavy traffic I encounter to/from work I tend to be lucky if I get a fairly pitiful 26mpg average over a tank, so when my light comes on I know that if I'm on a journey where I'm making reasonable progress, it gives me an additional factor of safety ;) (My mpg can be seen to gradually drop when I'm on my journeys to/from work, and gradually rise on other journeys)

FN2 Type R GT
my trip computer doesn't show the amount of miles left when the petrol light comes on for some reason. just shows 3 dashed lines

Same, i was driving round the other day on it as before the light cam eon its said 60 miles left so i assumed it wasnt reading cos it wants me to fill up!

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I normally get to between half and quarter of a tank before refills , the wife runs the 138 to the petrol light all the time, its going to kick her in the ar-se one day.

BMW F21 125d
Mines showing 76 miles left now, the guage is close to the button line (red line) but the fuel light hasnt come on yet... from reading through this post it suggests the fuel light comes on with about 40 to go? Ive never owned a car with such a small "red bit", every other car i have had had a section, rather than one line!

My old micra used to go to below the last red line before the petrol light came on! Always knew exactly when it needed filling up though, still haven't got used to the clio - I just wait for the light to come on (I think mine comes on when it reckons there's ~60 miles left in the tank?) then fill it up as soon as I get to the end of my journey to or from work.

Althouh that is a 21 mile trip so after reading this thread I'm a bit worried and may start filling it up before the light comes on!

Anything from the fleet
I ran out at a set of lights a few weeks ago - got 33 miles on the light then the revs dropped and I stopped!

Seat Leon Cupra R
could somebody tell me what each reading says on the trip from saying your overall mileage ie 23k onwards please. know the miles to gallon and amount of miles left to the tank but others i dont get. owners manual says it all in french i think.... i have an mod import so pardon my ignorance :(

Hyundai i40
i get about 40 miles out of it before i feel im pushing it a bit to far and get to the petrol station

going to work and back is 40 miles ive often had the light go on on the way home near the start of the journey and get home and think to fill it up later. dont do it, get up late and not have time to detour to a petrol station so drive to work absolutely shitting the last few miles!!! lol not ran out of pet yet but i know it will happen sometime

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
could somebody tell me what each reading says on the trip from saying your overall mileage ie 23k onwards please. know the miles to gallon and amount of miles left to the tank but others i dont get. owners manual says it all in french i think.... i have an mod import so pardon my ignorance :(

mileage
trip
mpg
gallons used
miles left
avg speed

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
amusingly this happened ish to me last night, petrol light came on when i was on my way home so bout 5 miles away from home and it was late and i was tired so thought i would get fuel in the morning, went to start it in the morning and it kept dying... no fuel in it...

managed to keep it running and get it some juice..silly car

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
amusingly this happened ish to me last night, petrol light came on when i was on my way home so bout 5 miles away from home and it was late and i was tired so thought i would get fuel in the morning, went to start it in the morning and it kept dying... no fuel in it...

managed to keep it running and get it some juice..silly car

bring back the rallye