ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doh! New radiator.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
Mine's leaking :( (52 plate 172 with A/C)

It's not leaking much, maybe losing a centimetre or so of fluid from the reservoir every time I drive it (only seems to leak after being driven then stops). Just been topping it up with water for the last couple of days.

I've been told by the local garage that because of the A/C and the fact it's a bumper off job they'd charge me £165 just for labour!! Seems a bit excessive to me. Renault say it's £146 for labour, plus £35 for the coolant.

Also, is it safe to drive and keep topping up? I know eventually the coolant would need to be replaced properly but is it doing any damage to anything else? Temperature is fine when being driven btw. Reason being it's Bank Holiday weekend and I need to get about. I'd rather not have it sit there until next week when I can source a new radiator.

I'd just carry a few bottles of water in the car with you so you aint caught short bud.

And even that rad weld stuff in the blue bottle may be worth a shot ;)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...rumb_33958-31345-58755_parentcategoryrn_58760
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...rumb_33958-31345-58755_parentcategoryrn_58760

or this bars stop leaks is similar stuff though more expensive.

And if your worried about weakening your anti freeze mixture with topping up with the straight water all the time.

I'd buy an anti freeze top up and add that as well.

P.s you never know the rad weld may stop the leak for ages, as if it seal/stops your leak i'd try running it with it till you can get it fixed ;)

Cheers will try some Radweld first. Stupid question cos I've not used it before but where does it go in, in the fluid reservoir?

Megane 250
Id just buy a new rad and fit it yourself mate, happened with me on sat. It only took me 2 hours and im almost a r****d when it comes to fixxing cars lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Does it ever go below the min mark? Cos mine if i fill it to max it uses some then stays smack bang between min and max, if i top it up it just goes back down to that level.

BMW M135i
Do not use radweld, it'll probably cause more problems than it'll solve. Just change the bloody thing, its not that hard.

Valver
Yeah as above I've heard very bad things about using radweld or any kind of radiator sealent.

Clio MK 4
Will be fine topping up. Mine went and couldnt get it into garage till a week after and i just filled it with water every 2 days (was leaking quite a bit) and then had it fixed.

Cheers Christophe.

Will get it replaced next week. Won't try myself as I have no clue what I'm doing.

Clio MK 4
just make sure you DONT let it drop very low as you will do damage to your head gasket which costs £££ to replace.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If it's never been below min how do you know it's actually using any? Could just be settling?

The pool of fluid under the bumper after every journey gave it away!

I spotted it when it was right on the MIN line.

Just a quick bump and some info for future reference. The RT419 is the correct radiator for a 172 (Feb 2000 onwards) from Advanced Radiators:

http://www.adrad.co.uk/new/prices.php?id=RT419&model=CLIO&make=RENAULT

£72.96 delivered (free delivery if ordered online).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was charged £145 for fitting (inc. VAT). Job was quoted at 2hrs labour. I supplied both radiator and coolant.

Renault did say it needed a small modification to the bracket to get it to fit, but wasn't a problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Litres of Category D Coolant from GSF (Genuine Renault stuff) - £14.50

I bought an extra two 1 Litre bottles for top-up at £3.25 each.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps any future members searching for rad/coolant help.

Last edited: