ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does De-icer damage paintwork, seals etc

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
Does using de-icer damage the paintwork, the window seals n all that, just that ma pal is saying this just want to know if he's talkin crap, or if its actually true, i think hes talking tbh, and i know theres a few folk on here that do bodywork paint spraying n stuff.
Cheers guys

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I was under the impression it wasn't good for the rubber. No idea how bad but it was enough to make me stop using it.

Renault Scenic 182
Yes i have had and seen many damaged paintwork coming into me, trust me it wrecks paints natural shine with repeated use, a decent scraper and some arm work is more than adaquete.

the 5 minutes you save deiceing, you will spend TRYING to get the shine back come summer time, so tell your mate he is most definatly right :)

Jap Box
Its done nothing to my paint or seals, but the paints a mess anyway so id rather spend less time out in the cold and use the de-icer!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I use it when i forget to put a blanket on my screen, and i don't spray it on my paint

Renault Scenic 182
But it runs off and onto paint with how some people put it on and on some cars worse than others, its obvious if you think about it, ever heard the statement nothings free in life? in the same way, somethings not gonna be easier to do with a trade off end result?

Flame Red Delight
simple answer is yes, as said above does infact create marks which are very hard to get off paint and does wreck seals (coming from someone who has a friend who works for autoglass)