ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

does anyone run their diesel on bio fuel, chip fat etc

172,scenic, trafic
hi, i run a renault trafic van which is now just out of warranty so am exploring ways to cut my fuel costs. i had thought a remap from current 115 bhp as these engines apparently respond well to remaps and hopefully lower fuel costs.
i no of a few people that run vans on old oil but they are generally old crap vans.
so my question is how many different alternatives are there(not red diesel!), what are your experiences and cost to convert to that fuel. thnx

Couple of the guys I have worked with have used cooking oil and both stopped as it caused alot of issues,from what iv been told the oil burns alot hotter than diesel causing problems with the injectors , that's just what iv been told hope this helps

Mk2 Clio dci
Would only use that fuel on a land rover or argicultual engine!
I work at a renault van centre and i've seen people use this fuel a lot in trafics and masters. They do NOT like it at all, will cost more in repair bills in the long run!

J.W

RB 182 Cup
Biodiesel attacks 99% of rubber based O-rings, It's only use is for blending with conventional Diesel in small amounts, some serious R&D needs to be carried out before manufacturers will recommend the use of it even on new vehicles.

I think it's something to do with the Pottasium Hydroxide and Sulphuric Acid they add to it in production....

172,scenic, trafic
yes ive just been reading up on it, seems like a lot of hassle and as its been utterly reliable in 3 years i think i will leave it as it is. might just get it mapped to see if i get better mpg.
was just looking at ways to lower fuel bills in todays crap economic times!!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Probably ok to run chip fat in an old N/A diesel, but modern common rail engines seem to object :(

172 cup
I ran it with a old 306 non turbo diesel. But the price of cooking oil ant far off proper fuel. It s ok if you are making your own.

172,scenic, trafic
thats different tho, they are always blowing up anyway.lol. will have to grin and bear fuel costs then, might get a smaller van in that case. shame cos love the traffic