ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodo Lime Prime vs Zymol HD Cleanse

172 money pit
Hi all,

I'm nearly out of HD Cleanse, and I was wondering about saving a few pennies and giving Lime Prime a spin.

I've use HD Cleanse for years, and loved the results, so it's really out of curiosity as I've heard lost of people rave about LP.

Anyone got any experience of both? How do they compare in application and results?

Being applied to a black 172 if that makes any difference...

Thanks

Chris

172 money pit
Also, I've heard people on DW say that LP is quite oily. HD cleanse is a little oily too.

If your cleaner is oily isn't that going to affect the durability of the LSP (Zymol Carbon at the moment).

I like to use a glaze before waxing. Is something like PB's Blackhole going to strip the oil that the LP / HD Cleanse has left behind?

:S

Last edited:
  Megane R26
Lime Prime is a cheaper, easier to use version of HD Cleanse.

HDC dries very quickly and can be a bit troublesome if left on a panel for too long, but it does a good job of cleaning, and the chocolate smell is nice!

I'd never buy HDC again, unless I bought some Destiny or Vintage and wanted to keep it all Zymol.

As for glazes, no need if you're using Lime Prime IMO - it leaves a perfect finish for waxes (such as your carbon).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I disagree with Russ there only because i'm a massive glaze fan. I think it can add something to the finish and lightly fill and imperfection that are left in the paint, people forget that enthusiast aren't always looking for 100% correction so things like blackhole and ez creme are great tools to have. I think people read write ups and think oh I better make my car 100% correct by polishing it.

Imo it doesn't work that way unless you're a professional or you have a lot of spare time on your hands and your car is off the road for a few days at a time. Filler glazes, cleansers shouldn't be dismissed or frowed upon from an enthusiasts pov. Blackhole is also acrylic so will sit very well under wax and sealant.

I've been usig LP for a little while now and after a dodgy experience with an LSP failing (Glasur) I decided to use LP as an enhancement polish and use a dedicated pre-wax cleanser that would leave a clean base for further products.

All imo but I didn't want to take the risk again of the oilyness of LP affecting more expensive waxes in the future especially on other peoples cars.

I didn't like the HDC, too fussy and there is better out there that does the same job, by hand Lusso Creme is very very good I used it under Glasur in my pre-winter detail and it was fantastic.

Recently i've been dedicated to using acrylic prime strong as my base aftre polishing.

Megane R26
There's no way that Lime Prime would make Glasur 'fail'? It is a dedicated pre wax cleanser, that also happens to have decent correction abilities via machine, but a pre wax cleaner first.

If Glasur 'failed' then that's down to curing time, temperature or moisture - not the LP. It will cure to 'anything' as long as it's left to cure, in optimal conditions, for the right amount of time.

As for glazes, I've never really bought into them. Not seen anything impressive enough, especially by hand, to make me move away from SRP. By machine some come alive a bit, but generally I'd rather use a paint cleanser as they 'clean' better.

You say people don't have time, but suggest that people polish > glaze > wax. I'd always suggest pre wax cleanser > wax. Your logic about using a glaze also contradicts the point regarding wax 'failure' as a glaze isn't a pre wax cleanser?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
There's no way that Lime Prime would make Glasur 'fail'? It is a dedicated pre wax cleanser, that also happens to have decent correction abilities via machine, but a pre wax cleaner first.

If Glasur 'failed' then that's down to curing time, temperature or moisture - not the LP. It will cure to 'anything' as long as it's left to cure, in optimal conditions, for the right amount of time.

As for glazes, I've never really bought into them. Not seen anything impressive enough, especially by hand, to make me move away from SRP. By machine some come alive a bit, but generally I'd rather use a paint cleanser as they 'clean' better.

You say people don't have time, but suggest that people polish > glaze > wax. I'd always suggest pre wax cleanser > wax. Your logic about using a glaze also contradicts the point regarding wax 'failure' as a glaze isn't a pre wax cleanser?

No you misunderstand. What I meant was people don't have time for 3 stage corrections and things that they read from Pros, read my recent thread, it explains a little bit of what I mean.

Glazes can be there to help the finish, fill some imperfections that can't be machine or simply don't have the time to machine. I can glaze my car via rotary in 20 minutes.

Also this LP/Pre Cleanser/Glaze/wax. The Cleanser in this case gives a great base for future products, if you look at the durability of Jeffs Prime you'll see why it provides a great base for further products.

If you use a non oily glaze over the top of it, EZ creme and balchole both acrylic glazes then the wax sealant will have no problems. You know yourself you shouldn't use a sealant over an oily glaze or product.

I do however think the dod waxes sat for longer over LP, the Glasur put down to user error if you want but the simple fact is I went straight to glasur after polishing with LP and it failed a lot sooner than any subsequent details i've done where i've used an acrylic glaze and a decent cleanser. :)

Im with Russ. If correction is carried out correctly then no need for a glaze.

I disagree. As does my Cooperider... http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/category/protection/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...ive-detail-by-todd-cooperider-and-craig-reed/ (epic read) EZ creme glaze used after a mammoth detail!

How many enthusiats do you know that have the time to carry out a 3 stage correction?

People seem to have this idea that filling is frowned upon.

Gordon from Defined details is one of the most respected detailers in the country and he agreed that sometimes people just read write ups and assume that 100% correction is the be all and end all and that they need to spend days with 80 polishes trying to get there paint perfect.

I seen a Black A4 on DW recently, SRP and HD wax and omg simply immense finish shown "from the camera" but still. Me and Dave KG both commented how refreshing it was to see a simple clean up using to simple products like that. and the finish achieved whether "true" or not was fantastic.

Last edited:
  172 money pit
Thanks guys. Didn't realise I was lighting the blue touch paper.... :). From the sounds of it LP is definitely worth a try.

I take it you'd all agree it's best applied with a machine rather than by hand?

I see enough write-ups on here and DW where the author has used IPA to remove oils after polishing to make me think that there's something in it.

However, most carnuba based waxes like Carbon have oils in anyway don't they (like coconut oil), so I don't see what difference it would make, but then I'm not a chemist am I?

FWIW, I agree with Gally. I'd rather do an enhancement and fill anything that's left with something like Blackhole than spend all weekend polishing & refining in the persuit of 95%+ correction.

It's a daily driver after all and it gets washed most weeks, so it's never going to be perfect.

Bumder With A Buffer
I disagree. As does my Cooperider... http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/category/protection/

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...ive-detail-by-todd-cooperider-and-craig-reed/ (epic read) EZ creme glaze used after a mammoth detail!

How many enthusiats do you know that have the time to carry out a 3 stage correction?

People seem to have this idea that filling is frowned upon.

Gordon from Defined details is one of the most respected detailers in the country and he agreed that sometimes people just read write ups and assume that 100% correction is the be all and end all and that they need to spend days with 80 polishes trying to get there paint perfect.

I seen a Black A4 on DW recently, SRP and HD wax and omg simply immense finish shown "from the camera" but still. Me and Dave KG both commented how refreshing it was to see a simple clean up using to simple products like that. and the finish achieved whether "true" or not was fantastic.

Your using the extremes there though. Not every enthusiast has a 500K+ Ferrari F40 made of carbon fibre. Of course that will take a while to do. Id not want to tell the owner that I have ruined his lovely paintwork/carbon thats for sure!

Im not disagreeing that a glaze shouldn't be used altogether. But for Joe bloggs using a glaze, there is plenty of products to be used to do an enhancement detail. Like LP. But sticking a glaze over the top to me is pointless. LP then a wax on top. Most of us wouldnt know the difference if something had been glazed or not glazed in an "enhancement".

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think you missed the point of the link. He spent days polishing a car but then still used a glaze over the top?

Look at heavenly detail's work. EZ creme glaze followed by Celeste of Crystal rock.

It just goes to show that even the pros think a glaze adds to the finish even just slightly.

You're thinking that everyone who uses LP is able to correct their paint, whether using LP or not you still have to know how to correct so if there are anything uncorrected a glaze will fill in the missing pieces so to speak.

Surely it's better to have a lovely finish by using a glaze than a half corrected car using a polish? Blackhole and EZ creme, even a pre-wax cleanser like GEP, are fantastic tools, you only have to look at my recent thread to see that.

Bumder With A Buffer
Aye I saw he used a glaze..but then he is, as mentioned, struggling with the thickness. Of course using some form of filler will help in that situation.

I dont think everyone who uses LP will be able to correct, the same can be said about ANY form of polish/pad combo joe bloggs might have. I still maintain the majority of us would not be able to see the difference between a half corrected car and a glazed car (with wax over the top of course). Im not on about photo's either as they are very deceiving im on about by eye.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ahem... reflections lose a good inch of each bicep.. :eek:

Bumder With A Buffer
Off topic but this is the ultimate in gayness.

Check out my new ride!

IMAG0061.jpg

SRS!

Bumder With A Buffer
Im going to get my foam/polystyrene surf board out of the rents garage and put it on top...then drive to beach beach with my aviators on listening to spandau ballet.

I is awesome.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to get my foam/polystyrene surf board out of the rents garage and put it on top...then drive to beach beach with my aviators on listening to spandau ballet.

I is awesome.

Do you want a shot of my hair?

Not a 320d
Are your arms included in the photo. I'd definitely be interested.

Two of my friends hd cleansed their bumholes the other week. It's definitely a good pre wax cleaner.