ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy smell from 182. Please HELP.

182, Milltek
I have recently started noticing a fairly strong smell coming from the front, driver's side of my 182's engine bay. It is there after every drive but is stronger after stop-start driving. Of course this suggests the clutch but the car's only done 24k miles and is in very good shape otherwise. It doesn't smell like normal burning clutch, hard to describe but it's a bit like burning detergent.

Still got 4 months warranty so she's booked in at a dealer but if they reckon the clutch has gone will I pick up the tab even after only 24k miles, that would take wizz?

Has anyone had a similar pong? Does it sound like clutch trouble?

Thanks

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Its probably something you trod in, :dead:

Like Dan I would supect the alternator. Check the belt isnt slipping, they smell horrible when they are.

When do you burn detergent?

Its not something to do with a brake or wheel bearing is it? (thats a complete guess btw)

182, Milltek
Thanks guys. I like the thinking regarding the alternator, that did seem to be where the smell is worst, I just didnt see any reason it would smell like that. I will go and have another sniff...

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
start it up when its cold and leave it for a bit and ee if u can locate the smell, the clutch, you will have to pay for, renault will want like £600 to do it. so go elsewhere. maybe oil burning on the manifold

182, Milltek
Dan 172 you were spot-on. Dealer has replaced alternator and wiff has gone. She also sounds less whiney which is a bonus. chuffed