ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy Diff?

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
I have just come back from a local garage where they had my car up on ramps due to a strange problem with the steering. It kind of wobbles and feels like it wants to steer itself...

Upon getting it on the ramps, the mechanic spins the wheels and there is a noise coming from under the engine, happens when spinning both wheels.

They have said that it sounds like the "Diff" - I guess thats the differential in the gearbox.

What could this mean? I have recently had the CV boot replaced, power steering switch and new cam and aux belts. I have also had new front discs and pads.

Could this have affected the Diff or could it be coinsidence.

If there is a problem with the diff, what could be wrong and how much could it end up costing me to fix?

Thanks for your help guys.
Neil.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
when they replaced the cv boot, if too much force was put on the driveshaft to re-fit it, or the driveshaft was not supported when the hub was removed, then it may have caused the problem you describe.

you may need a replacement as it will eventually get worse.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
the box, but it all depends on a visual inspection to be sure.

cant help with the cost on a clio, mate. sorry.