ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy Cup!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Went to view a 172 Cup in Birmingham today, lovely car, well looked after, quick, comfy, solid, etc, etc...

So, get to the guy's house to have a look at paperwork and discuss cash, and he's got the log book there, already filled out... :S

Upon closer inspection, the V5 was in the name of 'George', the buyer on the V5 was 'Sam', the chap who was selling the car bought it off a 'Justin' and his name was 'Steve'!

So, it appears that the car had gone through 3 changes of owners (since September) without any one of them thinking to send the log book off... it didn't occur to 'Steve' that this might hinder him selling it.

Jesus wept, I was gutted. He's going to call me once he's got a proper log book. :dapprove:

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, trust me, I'm not expecting a call! The lads in work told me I was mad to go to Brum, joking around, saying I'd get 4 cars put together with gaffa tape, etc....

Just a total waste of about £80 in travelling costs and 11 hours of my time. (viewed 2 yesterday, the other was stuck at the back of a tiny garage and had to arrange a test drive days in advance...)

If its any consolation, I bought a mint 182 in Black, 20k miles on the clock, 04 Reg for £5,100 3 weeks ago.

So its not all bad

as a trader i see this all the time. just hpi it and make sure you get some decent id from the seller and are at the address on his id. check all vin and engine numbers are right and if possible a quick call to a previous owner . wouldnt put me of a car mate as so many people dont know how to fill logbooks in and just give them to me lol

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cheers for the advice bud, I decided to walk away anyway as 3 owner changes in 6 months in itself is a bit concerning... it's actualyl quite nice that I could track those changes, as if it had an up to date V5 then I wouldn't have had the changes of dates to hand.

Maggiore: How in God's name did you do that!?! Blinding deal...

Got another viewing lined up in Cardiff tomorrow. '03 172 Cup, 25k miles, FSH (cambelt not yet done) for £4500. The guys says it's mint, so could be a good deal...

Tell me about it... I thought it was a good deal and thought something must be wrong, but FSH, MOT... the car is MINT aswell, not a scratch on it, perfect interior, and nothing bad on the wheels either... I couldnt believe it when I saw it... and whats better is... I got it from a GARAGE!!!

I did have to travel from Sunderland to Dover to get it like :D cost me £90 but hey... im happy

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The fact it was in Birmingham would have started alrm bells ringing :S

Honest truth here...

I recently bought a clio privately from Birmigham. On the way home, it blew up. Ended up just leaving it at work and forgot about it.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I was selling a Golf GTi and three asian guys came down from Birmingham to see it. When I asked why they had driven all that way their response was quite impressive...

''We're not going to buy a car from Brum, don't be stupid! Its the shittest place to buy a car in the world''

Says it all really.

Mini Cooper S sport
Tell me about it... I thought it was a good deal and thought something must be wrong, but FSH, MOT... the car is MINT aswell, not a scratch on it, perfect interior, and nothing bad on the wheels either... I couldnt believe it when I saw it... and whats better is... I got it from a GARAGE!!!

I did have to travel from Sunderland to Dover to get it like :D cost me £90 but hey... im happy

£5100 for a mint 20k 182??? :S I'd definitely think something was up at that price...

Anyway, congrats..

The fact it was in Birmingham would have started alrm bells ringing :S

Honest truth here...

I recently bought a clio privately from Birmigham. On the way home, it blew up. Ended up just leaving it at work and forgot about it.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I was selling a Golf GTi and three asian guys came down from Birmingham to see it. When I asked why they had driven all that way their response was quite impressive...

''We're not going to buy a car from Brum, don't be stupid! Its the s**ttest place to buy a car in the world''

Says it all really.

LOL, i know what you mean, I rang up about a Ka once in Brum, it was dirt cheap and I could smell the profit a mile off! It couldn't have been more dodgy, in the end I just had to humour the guy, he kept saying he had the V5 so I replied: "What for both halves" :lolup:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Anywhere north of Glos I don't bother now. Its not worth the bother.