ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy 172 hub carrier, so i've been told...Please help

LWR

Renault Clio 172
So, I've got an annoying knocking sound from the left side of my Clio 172, my mechanic told me that its due to the lower suspension ball joint that connects to the hub...fair enough. He says that it due to the hub not being a sport hub, so i guess is there a way for me to check this so that i can go ahead and get the right part?

Cheers guys

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Pretty sure you'd have a hard time fitting a non sport hub to a 172, as they have different wishbones! Not sure of the difference, but google images is your friend. The lower suspension ball joint would certainly cause a knocking noise, but you should only have to replace the joint. In case you are interested, or want to give it a go, remove the pinch bolt at the bottom of the hub, use a ball joint splitter to pry the ball joint out of the hub, and undo the 2 bolts connecting it to the wishbone. Unless you are 100% sure your hub is wrong, don't go letting a mechanic change it for you, because the chance is he's making up work.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
EDIT: I just read an article that says 172 brakes wont fit on 1.2 hubs, so that would make me think the hub is different. Assuming someone hasn't been a total special case and swapped your 172 suspension and brakes to 1.2, there's almost 0 chance you have non sport hubs on there.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Drive shaft wouldn't fit on the hub if the hub was a nonsport. As per the pic, the splines there are a completely different size on the sport compared to a non sport.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-19-23-59-19.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-19-23-59-19.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 76

LWR

Renault Clio 172
Theres a lot of free play yes, its got a brand new wishbone and ball joint, so problem must lie with the hub carrier no?

I'd check the bbj hole in the hub is nice and round, they oval if they over tightened/run loose, very common on older peugeots.
I can repair the hub if you struuggle to find another, 172 hubs seem fairly plentiful though

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 100
  330i. E30 Touring.
Check the ball joint diameter.

There are two sizes, so it might have the wrong one fitted.

If not, a second hand hub from a breaker is only £25 anyway!

LWR

Renault Clio 172
Thanks so much for all your advice guys, bought a second hand hub now, so ill give that a go :) ill keep you in mind allanallen if all goes tits up :) cheers