ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you need to strip down a 182 to get to the heater/fan motor?

RS Clio 182
Just been to a local garage as all my fan blowers stopped working a while ago on any speed. He said it isnt any of the fuses or resistor - but could be one of the wires in the loom going to the fan/heater motor...he said he couldnt reach the actual motor without stripping back some of the engine which would cost me £100 to do.

He said it would then cost me £50 to replace one of the damaged wires or around £180 for a totally new unit from Renault,whichever the cause is.

Is he being straight with me? Is it possible to reach this motor to check it without stripping it back like he said?

I was hoping it was just going to be the resistor pack.. :dapprove:

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
If they've got as far as getting the resistor pack out they're only a few bolts and wiring plugs away from taking the blower motor out.

Once the wipers/scuttle are removed getting either the resistor or blower motor out literally takes minutes, finding a broken wire on the other hand could be a nightmare!

RS Clio 182
If they've got as far as getting the resistor pack out they're only a few bolts and wiring plugs away from taking the blower motor out.

Once the wipers/scuttle are removed getting either the resistor or blower motor out literally takes minutes, finding a broken wire on the other hand could be a nightmare!

Thats strange cos he said he had the actual wiper plastic unit out! He said there was a loom of wires going up and under but couldnt get to it without undoing these bolts that he pointed to under the resistor...

When I changed mine I needed to take the wiper motor out and also take the inlet manifold off. Pain in the arse.

You don't need to remove the wipers to get the heater motor out .
I managed to even get the whole plastic box that houses the little aircon rad out without the wipers or other half of the scuttle off. Motor comes out easy tho

2004 1.5 DCi 100
Before you do/spend anything check the connector to the motor (the black and red wires in the pic) is good and clean. That's how I fixed my non-working fan some time ago and it's still going strong :approve:

Can't you bridge two of the wires on the resistor pack plug that should then make the motor run full speed. I know this test is to see if the resistor has gone but mite be worth a try as if the motor spins then will save u removing it