ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you need to flush the cooling system when doing a coolant change?

Clio 182
Need to do a coolant change on the 182 soon, but just wondering if it's essential to flush the system through with water as I don't have access to a garden hose where I'm currently living.

Would you get away with just pouring a jug or two of water into the expansion tank after taking the hose off the rad?

Cheers

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Depends how bad the coolant is that's in it now really.

I changed the rad on my MCS at the weekend, it took me 4 fills and empties (including using a wet vac on the block) to get the shitty brown 'coolant' out of it.

Clio 182
When you say 4 fills and empties do you mean you just filled the tank up and let it drain from the rad bottom hose 4 times until it was running through clear?

dan's cast offs.
fill it with just water, dissolve a dishwasher tablet in some hot water and chuck that in with it. run it for day or so, drain and fill with *coolant etc.

*failure to use renault type D coolant may result in your dog dying and your wife leaving you for her ex boyfriend.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
When you say 4 fills and empties do you mean you just filled the tank up and let it drain from the rad bottom hose 4 times until it was running through clear?

No, drained the system, ran a hose through until clear, filled and bled the system and ran up to temp and drained/vacuumed the system - Rinse and repeat x 4

Clio 182
fill it with just water, dissolve a dishwasher tablet in some hot water and chuck that in with it. run it for day or so, drain and fill with *coolant etc.

*failure to use renault type D coolant may result in your dog dying and your wife leaving you for her ex boyfriend.

Never heard of that method, is it still good to drive while it's got the water and dishwasher tablet in?

Oh of course, only the finest.

No, drained the system, ran a hose through until clear, filled and bled the system and ran up to temp and drained/vacuumed the system - Rinse and repeat x 4

Oh crikey, I suppose that's the way to do it for a thorough clear out though.

dan's cast offs.
Never heard of that method, is it still good to drive while it's got the water and dishwasher tablet in?

done it god knows how many times and it's fine, used to use washing detergent before dishwasher tablets were invented. it's an old arse thing and probably by far best way to do it.

Dishwasher tablets?

I don't think I've ever heard of that as a recommended thing to do.

As long as you're refilling with the same type of coolant (you can't mix the two different types AIUI) you should be fine to drain most of it and then refill.

dan's cast offs.
Dishwasher tablets?

I don't think I've ever heard of that as a recommended thing to do.

used to use detergent powder years ago but saves having boxes drying out. i know plenty of people who use the powder in commercial parts washers and ultrasonic cleaners as well.

for reference i use fairy platinum as i'm a snob :cool:

dan's cast offs.
afik salt content is minimal in tablets/detergent as salt is recommended in hard water areas?

don't know about washing up liquid though? also wouldn't use that in a cooling system, used some in the dishwasher once and it was like a bubble making machine!!!

monaco 172
afik salt content is minimal in tablets/detergent as salt is recommended in hard water areas?

What's the reason behind this? Is it just to give the internals a good clean from all the rust etc?

What's the theory behind it? Just to r
don't know about washing up liquid though? also wouldn't use that in a cooling system, used some in the dishwasher once and it was like a bubble making machine!!!