ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you feel the need to "prove" yourself in your Renaultsport?

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
i dont try an prove myself ill have the odd go with some cars and only if the other guy is obviously interested and it will be a decent race ie. me vs a valver which was a decent run from the lights onto a dual carriageway.

But not when people come right up my arse giving it the big time charlie like last night a when a RB 197 decided that the best place for his car was 2inches off my rear bumper on a crap piece of tarmac with loads of cars around just doesn't do it for me

Fabia vrs tdi
hmmm well im 6ft 4 and 17 stone so usually get next to them and give them the crazy eyes they back off, im a curtious driver if thats spelt rite and no need for people to put ur life or car at risk

Im a fuuuckin nutter u see me u dont fuuuck with me

as said above, its not worth it. I know how fast my car is. I like playing with rep cars, but thats just for giggles and never gets silly.

I get my kicks on track, no police cameras or school kids there.

he suddenly accelerates, pulls out and passes two cars doing around 50, cutting up one of them as he forces his way back in to avoid hitting an oncoming car.

If the other cars had been obeying the highway code they would have left space for overtaking car to pull back into the line of traffic.

Carry on....

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The last time i tried to prove myself i got 6 points for my trouble :dapprove:
So tend not to bother anymore!

Hit the nail on the head there,

Need my licence for my job, really not worth getting points, plus at my age my insurance would skyrocket.

Last edited:
  320d
I have nothing to prove. I drive a 9 year old French car. Its pretty nippy yes, but not a supercar.

Hardly anything worth proving or bragging about though. I love and enjoy my car, thats something that doesn't need proving.

The odd blast with another car for fun when road conditions permit is acceptable imo.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I play with other cars when the opportunity presents itself, can make a memorable drive if you're lucky, or quite a mess if you're not so I err well on the side of caution while I do it.

The lightweight cup's such a beast though that even at six tenths it still mullers just about everything so it's all good :)

Cooksport Fleet
U just have to know when to stop.

And remember, not overtaking isn't the end of the world. But trying to overtake..could just be the end of yours!

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
I drive like a bore since getting rid of my 172. I sit at 55mph on the motorway :(

And doing 50 in a 30 is obeying the Highway Code isn't it :S

You should ALWAYS leave space to allow overtaking cars to pull in. You cant justify not doing so simply by accusing someone else of doing wrong also.

He shouldnt have been speeding. They should have left a space. What were they hoping would happen? A head on collision would really of taught him a lesson for speeding wouldnt it?

Trophy #490
You beat everything? Want a race!?! Only kidding, I race no-one :D

Sure, if you're in the 182 and not the 360..... :p

P.S - Does '89' in your username refer to your date of birth, as in 1989? Or am I reading too much into that!? Same as mine you see, and if you say: ''Yes, I was born in 1989, the same as you'', I'd be incredibly envious!

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
Must confess to only really proving it once...

Group of lads in a beat up Golf, caps in the air like they just dont care.. decided to pull out of the college and procreeded to drive within my boot space..smiling and laughing in the mirror. Presumably because he was "cool"
Now at this point after a 5 min journey, beat up golf still in toe, westwood obviously a passenger as the "Choons" where pumping, the road arrives at a 60 zone..
Do I a. Leave the nipple standing? B. hang around the 55mph mark just to make a point he is driving too close, in the hope he overtakes, crashes into a tree and rolls into a ditch of water... i couldnt resist.. foot to the floor and left him a fair way back...
Obviously being rush hour i caught the traffic in front of me, and hay ho.! whos this pootling up behind me..?? ooh look. Mr Golf boy, with a very sad face and two rather impressed passengers, who obviously had been chanting "owned"..

the even bizarre thing, he drove like the model citizen behind me after that...

Clown.

RS 172
i look after my MPG too much! - old man..lol

There is a time and a place, if an arse overtakes me, most of the time i leave them too it.. unless im playing in the right conditions.

Clio 172
Was driving into work this morning along the m2 and a little vtr kept overtaking me and slowing down, as I enjoy a play I floored it and he dissapeared shortly after he caught up and wouldn't pass me after. But it does make some people grin seeing a little Clio take off

R26
I must admit the clio makes me drive more like a tit than my last cars. The GF has commented many times that I hold the revs longer than in the Cupra R...guess the reason being that the clio is gutless at anything under 5K. Don't do it intentionally, I guess I've just adapted to the engine.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I dont feel the need to 'prove' myself, more 'prove' my car to others, Its strange because I get satisfaction from my silly little clio when it beats another car owned by some rich kid, bargain bucket ftw!

The best car Ive had for showing some higher powered cars how to go on is definately my saxo vts, slightly breathed on made around 135 bhp on the rollers.

Things i shocked in that would be, clio's, scoobys, an r32 :rasp: a few type r's etc, I think the fact its only a 1.6 is more entertaining than anything, knowing it can hold its own against much larger engined cars with such a smaller sized engine, definately bargain bucket!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Parky.....

that happens most nights on my trip home especially past bispham tech I however cant make such a get away

I never try to prove myself although sometimes traffic light duels can be very very tempting

Ferrari F430 Spider, 182
Sure, if you're in the 182 and not the 360..... :p

P.S - Does '89' in your username refer to your date of birth, as in 1989? Or am I reading too much into that!? Same as mine you see, and if you say: ''Yes, I was born in 1989, the same as you'', I'd be incredibly envious!

I wish!!!! :( :D

I couldn't afford 69 :D

i cant be arsed anymore, im gettin too old now!

+1 :D

i've definitely grown out of it and it's very rare that i'll push on the public roads, only ever doing it if i'm completely alone on them

in company (of interested traffic), some of the most satisfying drives i've had have been with people in much quicker cars - keeping lots of distance and just 'flowing' with the road. any sniff of aggression or silly speed, i just switch off

it's all about track work if you want to find out what you and the car are capable of

Fabia vrs tdi
I have to keep checking this threat incase anyone says did u say that idiot in the rb 182 in glasgow

if you do its not me..

final answer

BMW M135I
The best car Ive had for showing some higher powered cars how to go on is definately my saxo vts, slightly breathed on made around 135 bhp on the rollers.

Things i shocked in that would be, clio's, scoobys, an r32 :rasp: a few type r's etc, I think the fact its only a 1.6 is more entertaining than anything, knowing it can hold its own against much larger engined cars with such a smaller sized engine, definately bargain bucket!

I agree with what you say but which one would you accidently like to make a mistake in?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Never feel the need to "prove myself".....im quick, im happy how quick i can drive in my own time and place so why do i need to show every oik out there?

Then again, saying that, as i drive a diesel 106 4 days a week, on a Friday its nice dusting those same idiots on the commute who usually sit on my arse when im in the Pug!

Giulietta 940
More often than not I'm content to stick to the speed limit, as I for one can't afford anymore points on my licence. I only tend to floor it when, as Chris205 says, there is some t**t in an expensive car sitting on my bumper.

Fortunately I'm surrounded by 60mph roads, so it allows me a bit more leeway than when I lived in London :p

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I agree with what you say but which one would you accidently like to make a mistake in?
well they both have the safety aspect of a crisp packet but the clio is more comfortable with a higher tin roof, so I'd take the clio on that one, not that Im planning on that ofcourse

I think the only reason I would have a go at 'proving' my car would be against something a lot more powerful, and make them think, 'I wonder what that is?'

I once had an evo 6 driver trying to argue with me after he struggled to get away from my vts, all be it he had 3 people in his car, but he would not drop the fact he thought my vts was cammed, when it wasnt, quite satisfying though :D