ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do lightweight alloys make a difference???

172 +Scenic sport
fancy a change of wheels and wondered do lightweight alloys make a difference??? if so in what way regarding drive, performance etc...

Dodgy one
Noticed a difference when i changed mine, Seemed to turn in better and generally be a bit more nimble

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Turinis are heavy f*****s.

Pro race 1.2's if you want light.
2118's if you want strong

I couldn't really tell the diff between my valver wheels and my turinis.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't believe you notice a difference (beneficial) with light wheels. The difference people feel is usually the different tyres tbh imo. Only really jap wheels anyway that you can really call lightweight, and there's plenty of fast cars out there with heavy wheels.

CLIO PH1 172
i never noticed a difference apart from it handles slightly better but i put that down to going to a slightly smaller wheel, i was runner 17" oz super t's and now run 16" pro race 1.2s

b/g 182, meg tourer
i noticed a difference when i replaced the crap 182 wheels with my ultraleggeras. felt more nimble. the brakes cool down much better now too.

turini's are not light.

Italian 3.2 V6
well, i bought my old Cup Racer magnesium OZ F1's (15") for £300 (no tyres)

so not really, just hard to find. they weighed in at 4.5kg a piece (wheel alone)

made the car drive alot better in every area if you ask me. think this only applies when u go really light (down the mag route) i dont think its so noticable with normal 'light weight' alloys.

PSJ.

does this also make your wallet alot lighter than if you were to put turinis on;)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Yeah. Could you not? I think it's mainly due to being a wider wheel.

not really no! I swapped the same 195's over though so was already used to the steering feel - were you using 195's on yours?

Megane RS 250
You have to remove at least 2-3 kg to notice something...
Oz Ultraleggera and Alleggerita are light enough to spot the difference from stock wheels and maybe even from turinis, but they're studied for road use, so they're durable.
Stock 172/182 wheels are about 9-10 kg, OZ are around 6...if you want to go lighter you need magnesium wheels, and they're much more fragile than allumium ones, any kerb and pothole and you could see your nice thin spokes break like a twig.