ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I need a new router?

I'm currently using an old Netgear DG634GT.

I used to have problems with the internet connection dropping out which meant I was constantly turning the router off then back on. Now for some reason connection never seems to drop out. I just tested my bandwidth speed and its come up with 5.2meg on http://www.bandwidthtest.co.uk/

The problem is..at night, after about 8pm I play quite a lot of COD4 STILL! But my connection gets worse and worse and I just end up lagging around the maps. I've checked things like the NAT but everything seems fine. I've got a wireless network adapter on the xbox and at first I thought it was because I am too far away from the router, but last night I took the xbox downstairs in desperation but still the same old story. Im going to try an ethernet connection tonight but if etherenet works it doesnt make a difference to me in the long run because my xbox has to be upstairs.

Im with talktalk btw.

I even bought a supposedly better antenna for the router which has made f**k all difference.

Sorry about the long post, but anyone experienced the same thing? Or know what I need to do?

Shed.
Normal, or it is for Karoo.

Fine during the day, 10 meg + connection, its stable. Come 4-5pm itll drop constantly and the speed will get s**t. Rush hour traffik. Its the ISP thats the problem, your connection will keep dropping.

Revels Mum & Sister
I'm currently using an old Netgear DG634GT.

I used to have problems with the internet connection dropping out which meant I was constantly turning the router off then back on. Now for some reason connection never seems to drop out. I just tested my bandwidth speed and its come up with 5.2meg on http://www.bandwidthtest.co.uk/

The problem is..at night, after about 8pm I play quite a lot of COD4 STILL! But my connection gets worse and worse and I just end up lagging around the maps. I've checked things like the NAT but everything seems fine. I've got a wireless network adapter on the xbox and at first I thought it was because I am too far away from the router, but last night I took the xbox downstairs in desperation but still the same old story. Im going to try an ethernet connection tonight but if etherenet works it doesnt make a difference to me in the long run because my xbox has to be upstairs.

Im with talktalk btw.

I even bought a supposedly better antenna for the router which has made f**k all difference.

Sorry about the long post, but anyone experienced the same thing? Or know what I need to do?

Have you tried upgrading the Firmware on the router. Generally the Netgears are pretty solid units. When I have had this problem with connections it has usually been inteference or a faulty/dodgy ADSL filter. I would go with inteference when people are logging on later at night you WILL get traffic shaped or a slow down but not too the point where it will lag like you describe.

I would reccomend the two items below. The first should hopefully clear up any small issues your line has. I had the same symptoms you experienced on several lines and this solved it.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=7256

Also get a decent ADSL filter like below. I cannot see Ethernet improving it that much! Worth a crack though may some inteference on the wireless card. Could also try changing the Wireless channel in the Router under Wireless settings.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1652

AK

M240i
If you are looking for a new router, i have a Netgear DG834GT that i got from Sky, cost me bout 80quid lol, it's unused and still in wrapper, can be flashed to work with any ISP...

Audi S1
I very much doubt it will make a huge difference! Not the problems he is describing!

Well, if its slowing down and dropping it could mean both things...

Peak times the internet is bound to run slow, i would start with ISP though personally

Shed.
I was having major problems a while back. I changed my adsl filter, my router, and i was guna change my phone extension lead as its 30 meters, but i dont really see the point.

It was actually all down to both the ISP being a pile of s**t, and also because where the phone box is that comes into the house, there was a wire in the box connecting to a different room, pulled out the wire and got another 4 MB.

If you are looking for a new router, i have a Netgear DG834GT that i got from Sky, cost me bout 80quid lol, it's unused and still in wrapper, can be flashed to work with any ISP...

How much do you want for it?

I don't think its talktalk, I will contact them anyway but I doubt they will do much.

Im going to change the filter now cos I've got a few different filters. I don't get why its only a problem at night. I could understand if the problem was between 5pm-10pm but after that I can't imagine too many people using the internet.

I dont want to spend £100 on a decent router until I've tried everything. Are the best routers the new netgears? I saw one in John Lewis that had 8 built in antennas and transfer speeds of up to 300mb for £99.95

And I updated the firmware a couple of weeks ago, was the first thing I tried but still the same problem!

M135i
josh, try talktalkmembers.co.uk they'll sort all your problems. they've got techs on there that'll lok at your stats and advise.

theyve sorted loads out for me.

A red missile
Sounds a little to me like your isp might be throttling your connection, some do this at peak times and it can be a right pain in the arse. I was having a similar problem with Wanadoo after they were bought by Orange, playing an MMORPG i'd suddenly get huge packet loss and it made it unplayable, try talking to your ISP, I did with Orange, pointed out that 2 of us had been using the same connection playing an MMO for over a year no problem and suddenly its hopeless, funnily enough 3 days later it stopped and has never returned.

For sure they'll never admit it but it is most likely a case of 'oh no sir we don't do that' - click, throttling gone, it got that bad that the missus got a separate line with Virgin and she's had no problems at all.

Megane
I have a brand new DG934G for sale, I have always had problems with the 834GT but the 834g and 934g have been amazing!!