ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY wheel refurb

Lupo GTI
Got a set of alloys here that could do with a refurb. Thought I might aswell give it a go myself seem's I'm not losing anything.

But I've never sprayed anything before so I have no idea where to start. I'm guessing I just sand them down but with what sandpaper?

Also, they have a fair bit of kerbing on one, would I be able to fill this with anything?

Any advice would be great :)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
The search isn't the best. I searched for "wheel refurb" and it didn't throw up the thread I suggested, even though it has those words in the title.

Lupo GTI
Yea just got all the stuff from halfords mate

Cheers mate, just checked out the guide in the guides section and there's no images on there, so I think i'll be following your little guide mate.

Your wheels look epic, thinking about doing mine gloss black now you've got that finish!

What would be the disadvantages of leaving the tyres on when doing this?

Not too sure mate... mmm... maybe you wont be able to spray it as well around the lip etc... ?! Ideally would try and get the tyres off mate :)

Lupo GTI
Not too sure mate... mmm... maybe you wont be able to spray it as well around the lip etc... ?! Ideally would try and get the tyres off mate :)

Yeah I'll see if I can get the tyres removed, I need two new one's on the back pretty soon so I might do it around that time then I only have to remove the 2 fronts.

See how things.

I did mine with the tyres on, I just let all the air out, so I could push the edge of the tyre down enough to get some masking tape under and then worked outwards so I had newspapered all the tyres.

I did mine with just Halfords standard aerosols, primer, paint and laquer.
Did all of them in a day as well, 15 mins between coats, and around 1-2 hours between the 3 different types of coat.

Lupo GTI
I did mine with the tyres on, I just let all the air out, so I could push the edge of the tyre down enough to get some masking tape under and then worked outwards so I had newspapered all the tyres.

I did mine with just Halfords standard aerosols, primer, paint and laquer.
Did all of them in a day as well, 15 mins between coats, and around 1-2 hours between the 3 different types of coat.

Got any photo's of the final work mate?
Also, how much did it cost you in total?