ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Wheel refurb.

320d
Is it worth a go?

I'll follow the guide and have a week to do it because i'll have the 172 a week before I can insure it.

Worst case I c**k it right up and have to have them done properly and i'm 50 quid down.

Cheers,

Brett

TrackCar & F30 330d
I'm currently doing it to my wheels
Its a pain in the ar*s as its such a slow job if your doing it with the rubbers still on. If you can get them off then chuck some paint stripper on and it much quicker.
Give it a go mate. But i'l be paying someone to powder coat them next time. :)
Just my oppion

320d
I think i'm going to. It will be a weeks hard work but i'm sure it will be worth it.

Can anybody recommend a particular type of paint? Also what colour paint should I order. I just want them to be the standard silver.

Storm Grey 200
Im sure its alot easier on say, ph2 172 wheels...

I did some f1's and it was a nightmare, just a pain in the arse and the end result wasnt great, the finish isnt very durable and covering the spokes of the f1's is very hard without getting drips etc.

Sanding down the spokes and small areas is hard and extremely tedious.

If you were doing the ph2 172 wheels or some dynamique wheels its probably a total breeze tbh.

I just had my new f1's powdercoated instead of spraying them myself as I cba with the hassle i had before. Even tho it was satisfying. And if time wasnt of the essence and i had maybe a dremel to sand the fiddly bits then I may have been tempted to do it again.

However powdercoating will last longer etc.

Hope that helps?

320d
Can you have them powdercoated in silver and it still be shiney etc? Whats a ball park figure per wheel to get it done?

Obviously i'd have to wait untill I changed the tyres too.

320d
Think i'll do that then. I'll prep them myself, so they're smooth, then have them powder coated.

When the tyres go that it, probably after winter too so they stay nice and clean through the summer.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Storm Grey 200
The powdercoater will (should) shotblast them prior to coating anyway, as it needs to be fresh bare metal