ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY: Stop that irritating climate control buzzing.

Golfs
Hi there, I've just joined to post a little DIY for you all. I've just bought a 1.4 16v for £170 that needs a box. Purely to sell on, I'm not keeping. I do want one of my "buy to sell" purchases to be a Clio Cup for a Lake District trip I have coming up though!

Anyway, it had an irritating buzzing noise that I finally located from the interior light. After pulling it out I could see exactly what it was, the fan for the Climate Control temp sensor.

I rang Renault and the unit is £25. Now, call me tight but selling cars on is about profit! :rasp:

So I set about sorting it for free. Here's the guide.

First step, pull the interior light panel out, sounds simple:
20130219_215622_zps6a6197ac.jpg

20130219_215635_zpsd484fbc7.jpg

Just yank it. It's a surprisingly snug fit for a Frenchie. :p

Here is the unit, it's the black cylinder looking thing:
20130219_215847_zpseb09bb2e.jpg

There is two, quite obvious, clips holding it in. Just move these with a screwdriver or like me use your nail and move one tab then the other. Remove the cable by pushing the connector backwards off it's slide.

You now want to pull the top cap off like this, my thumb is pushing it slightly sideways, this will release the tabs:
20130219_220018_zpsce32bc26.jpg

Here's the dirty insides:
20130219_220042_zps7b6be49b.jpg

Now what I did, this is optional, is remove the two wires by lifting up the tab and then putting a small screwdriver under the two internal smaller tabs. One on each wire, this removes them from the connector. Just remember which one goes where!
20130219_220552_zps5a1c55c9.jpg

Then you can put it on the terminals of a 9v battery!:
20130219_220653_zpsef85bd29.jpg

This will allow you to hear the buzzing and hopefully not hear it anymore once it's clean. Just to save putting it all back to find it still buzzing!

You now want to remove the back cap of the unit, use a small screwdriver to go in the slots on the tabs. Slightly lever it carefully and they will release:
20130219_220720_zps7492adcf.jpg

You now want to remove the fan motor. To do this, carefully lever against the red gasket. You can also lever against the propeller very carefully as there is no bearings to ruin:
20130219_220907_zpse80b9f18.jpg

You will then have this:
20130219_220942_zpsba86b7ac.jpg

The shaft simply pulls off, it's just held by a magnetic field:
20130219_221040_zps9c00e274.jpg

Now just clean it all out by blowing it, and using a cotton bud or tissue paper. Once that is done just spray WD40 in the shaft hole, the magnetic housing all inside and also the magnet on the propeller.

Put the shaft back on:
20130219_221638_zps523b35c8.jpg

Then put it all back together. I found it easier to pull the red rubber gasket off, then put that in first and then put the motor back.

Test with your 9v battery, if all quiet, put it all back in.

ENJOY THE SILENCE!!!

It took me 15 mins TOPS to do this including taking photos.

Happy motoring. ;)

Clio sport 172
Hi does that part just adjust the temp on the climate control? Iv got the loud buzzing noise but I also have no blowers working just wondering if the 2 thibgs could be connected

PH2 172 & 182
good guide, but my buzzing came from the sensor vibrating against the plastic housing, not from the fan itself. if you drop the sensor and leave it dangling from the wires, its completely silent

Golfs
Hi does that part just adjust the temp on the climate control? Iv got the loud buzzing noise but I also have no blowers working just wondering if the 2 thibgs could be connected

Could you give me the number you used to contact Renault

I doubt it would be connected as it's just for the climate. Does your fan work on full speed?

good guide, but my buzzing came from the sensor vibrating against the plastic housing, not from the fan itself. if you drop the sensor and leave it dangling from the wires, its completely silent

Interesting, this one the motor was definitely the issue as it was buzzing fully stripped with the battery on it. Pleased to say it's completely quiet now!

Clio 172
I did a little test with this annoying fan, and disconnected both the red and black wires which power the fan, it turns out the climate control still works fine because the sensor in still connected by the 2 grey wires, all the fan does is help the sensor pick up the ambit temperature faster. Saved myself £40, and no more bloody annoying buzzing noise.

20130219_220552_zps5a1c55c9.jpg20130219_220653_zpsef85bd29.jpg

2003 Renault Mégane
Hey ! It's the same for me, how did you solve that it wouldn't vibrate with the plastic housing?