ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Induction - Oil Breather?

Inferno 182 CUP
Okay everyone is making them .. but where does the oil breather pipe go once you loose the standard hoses?

What do you attach it too and how? Sizes and guides?

Range Rover Sport
The one behind the engine that goes to the plastic filter elbow?

Either put a small 'oil breather' on the end or put it to an oil catch tank depending on what you're after.

Inferno 182 CUP
What size breather would I need and where do I attach it so it's not flopping about like a rag doll? - don't know what a catch tank is so I won't even attempts it

Catch tank is the best option imo.

Or as said slightly above the outlet hight. Don't just wack a breather on the end of it as it will clog and drip on the exhaust manifold

Clio 172
Catch tanks are easy! Fit your DIY induction kit (I'm contemplating one, routing it down to behind the front N/S wheel!) and then run a hose from the rocker cover oil breather nipple to the catch can, and then fit the oil breather filter to the other catch can hole! See my paint diagram!

breather.jpg
Oil Breathers fitted to the rocker cover clog up with crap and go all horrible! Catch Cans means you can empty that crap out!

Jack

Sprint 172
Catch tanks are easy! Fit your DIY induction kit (I'm contemplating one, routing it down to behind the front N/S wheel!) and then run a hose from the rocker cover oil breather nipple to the catch can, and then fit the oil breather filter to the other catch can hole! See my paint diagram!

View attachment 109994
Oil Breathers fitted to the rocker cover clog up with crap and go all horrible! Catch Cans means you can empty that crap out!

Jack
Like this?
https://www.facebook.com/172refresh...3821567017429/652353198164264/?type=1&theater

Range Rover Sport
Damn, hoping you were going to say it was available to buy off the shelf.

Looks great though, really impressed with that!

Heres mine Danny bracket from solid piece of ali
uqyputuv.jpg
6y8u3avu.jpg
Cheers Pat

Awesome that is Pat. Great bit of work!!

I want.

This is mine, the catch tank is now located between the pas reservoir and the coolant bottle. Looks alot tidier now (need to get an up to date picture)

DSCF2319_zps071bf3be.jpg

Last edited:
  Range Rover Sport
I've been looking all day for something like it. Think I'm going to DIY one with a 'test tube'. Will not be as good as Pat's but will cost less that £5 and serve as an extremely small catch tank.

Pat 182

ClioSport Club Member
  cliosport 182
Wasn't planning on doing another let alone afew more??!! lol:eek:

The machines I use at me dads are tied up for a while making bits for old motorbikes?! Sorry

My dad make twin leading shoe front brake plates for BSA GOLDSTAR'S

Pat

Pat 182

ClioSport Club Member
  cliosport 182
Never say never mate ;) the one on mine took forever?! May have alook at some less machined jobbies??!!

The brake plates above have so much machining on them and it takes a lot of time!!

Pat

Range Rover Sport
Hose joiner is a 5 second job.. cheaper than buying filters/catch cans/additional hoses IMO

Just all seems a bit pikey and trying to save pennys when another £40 or so could get you a samco that would save all the hassle over an oil breather pipe problem

Whole idea is to get rid of the oil returning back into the inlet which in turn makes performance worse.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
I need someone to come and discard a few hoses and unessersary hoses etc on my 172, pat that looks awesome:)

Range Rover Sport
I hear what your saying but honestly chasing performance on these cars is a complete waste of money IMO

Its not really chasing figures. These cars are not getting any younger so it's just trying to maximise the OEM power really. Older/worn engines tend to use more oil and this oil goes back into the inlet in turn decreasing the fuel RON in turn loosing FREE power...

Inferno 182 CUP
Sounds easier just to fit an oil breather on the end of the pipe tbh and cable tie it higher than the intake .. no fancy bracket but it will work

Pat 182

ClioSport Club Member
  cliosport 182
It will indeed Danny ;) BUT if you have a heavy breathing engine it will soon block up and spray crap allover without a tank to catch it

My can/tank as caught nowt as we speak its like a copper lol must have nice engine??!! plus it looks right:approve::cool:

Pat

Inferno 182 CUP
I don't know how to pipe a catch tank not where to sight one unfortunately :( so a breather seems like a better option for me!