ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ditchin me 106GTi ....

EP3 Civic Type R

hi guys, wondering you can try and give me some NONE BIASED help with a decision... im looking to get rid of my 140+bhp 106GTi due to me wanting something which is a bit newer (had loads of mechanical grief lately) ... here are my options...

CTR probably 2001-2002
182 brand new... either yellow or dark blue
Ibiza Cupra 20V Turbo (any colour as rare as horse sh*t)

any more suggestions welcome... nothing daft insurance wise!

cheers

182 You no it makes sense ;)

Its newer, has a better spec (Three years warranty you may need it thou) and quick! My mates just had a CTR Anniversary 2003 16k with 10k on the clock nice but not much for your money!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Id go for the Cupra purely for the tunability of the turbo engine. Might have to sort the handling out as well though.

EP3 Civic Type R

Bits of my problem are... I already have a car that runs low 15s and probably outhandles all of the above mentioned :S

EP3 Civic Type R

I think the CTR is pushing it to be honest, but I dont mind going a bit on that as ive just had a pay rise

Its all in prespective the 182 will be about £13k the CTR maybe a grand more (no idea though) and a Ibiza about 9k I think.

What exactly are you looking for power and economy or raw power

insignia

New megane got slated by Jeremy Clarkson for being a sh*t drivers car so wouldnt even consider it although it does look nice. Dont get a Civic they look gay.Minis are just not to my liking at all even though they may be a good car.I know my choice would be the Renault 172/182.they look wicked and have a great mysteriousness about them (if you know what I mean)

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 07 May 2004

I want a car that handles nice, has power... looks the b****cks in standard form

182 looks nicer than the rest, handles better than the rest and has alot of power.

There you go - descision made!

EP3 Civic Type R

Dont really want to modify it to be honest, just a bit of ICE, maybe a filter and backbox ... ive had loud exhausts for over 2 years now, im a little deaf!

CTR is top at the moment, just had a quote for 1800FC ... plus its bigger which is what im after

tbh i love th ecivics but i got my 172 for 8k and my mate spent almost 12k on his same kinda age his has slightly higher mileage. i just love th elittle things mine has like xenons climate etc however i do love the vtech of the civic!

end of the day way up all options my choice was between civic and clio and civic just wasnt worth the extra £4k

EP3 Civic Type R

SOOTY who uses this forum had a CTR with a forced air induction of some kind, and to date its one of the best sounding cars ive heard

I spent a lot of time researching and then driving about half a dozen 106 GTis when Id sold my old Clio 16V and wanted something newer. In the end, it wasnt for me - but Id say if you like the GTi then youd love a 182.

My flatmate last year bought a CTR, but kept his Clio 16V because of the rubbish trade-in. He rated the handling of the Valver above that of the CTR, but you cant deny that its a quick car.

Still, a 182 is apparently a good match for a CTR in acclerative terms - so thats that box ticked. Itll also have amazing handling (something an Ibiza 20V T would not offer) and is very good VFM.

Id not consider a Ibiza 20V T unless you want to spend another grand or two sorting out the dismal suspension and average performance - unless you go for the rare limited edition 180bhp Ibiza 20V Turbo Cupra.

EP3 Civic Type R

Ben, thanks for the replies... yes im getting the impression the Cupra handling is crap standard.... im not willing to spend money sorting that out, my 106GTi has already had £600 suspension stuck on it.

Cupra is out the Window... besides my mate just bought one. I know the CTR wont handle as good, due to its size really, however it still would be good. I think I need to go test drive a 172 / 182 and make a decision... 182 would have to be yellow though ;)

P.S. A yellow 182 will cost another grand or so as its one of the "i.D." special paint options. A nice used bargain in years to come methink!

EP3 Civic Type R

hmmm, so its adding up to 15k quite quickly then, thing is CTRs still retail quite high even 3 year old ones are 12k trade

172 Exclusive

I would say go for the 182 it may not be a s fast as the CTR in a straight line but the handling on the 182s are meant to be amazing with the cup chassis on.

Evo magazine wrote a short conclusion at the end of there review for the 182

"In fact, so good is the clio 182 with the cup chassis set-up that i feel moved to make a bold statement - I think its the best hot hatch evr built"

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 08 May 2004

My flatmate last year bought a CTR, but kept his Clio 16V because of the rubbish trade-in. He rated the handling of the Valver above that of the CTR, but you cant deny that its a quick car.

Still, a 182 is apparently a good match for a CTR in acclerative terms - so thats that box ticked. Itll also have amazing handling (something an Ibiza 20V T would not offer) and is very good VFM.

From WHAT CAR?

For - The 182 is quick enough to see off a Honda Civic Type-R and the storming V6 255 will hunt down supercars.

Performance The 2.0-litres output has been uprated to 182bhp and it is the most powerful front-drive supermini you can buy. It backs this up with suitably quick performance when driven hard, although if youre not in a rush its perfectly civilised at more sedate pace. The 3.0-litre V6 255 is something else: equally docile for everyday use, but monstrously quick at the right time and in the right place.

just gotta sk yourself what u need? in all honesty civics are extremely common and dont come with a particularly high spec (i think even a radio is an extra ;) ) only kiddin but pound for pound the 182 is better equipped equally as fast and more comfortable, theyll both be around the same price the 182 will have 3yrs warrenty (you will need it!) and the civic will be coming out of warrenty (not as bigger deal as if the 182 was), generally speaking the civics willl hold their value better however the udated model is now out and i have noticed a drop in prices of the older one, maybe they will keep dropping? also supply and demand will hit the civic soon! theres so many that will be coming out of warrenty that u may get yourself a storming deal on one. Civics are larger yes true but not hugely larger its still pretty cramped in the rear.

Driving wise both very fun to drive but both in there individual ways, the civic has to be at the top of its revs to be most enjoyable however same is true on the 172/182 i find it much better above say 4k.

Drive both - then sit down and really think how much each will cost you from this make a decision it doesnt matter tho like people told mewhen i was looking either or you wont be dissapointed. As for the cupra a very nice car but personnally id go for the ctr or 182 although a chipped cupra on a good susp setup would be good fun

hope this helps

MG ZS180 ;) Looks a bit silly, but its a great car, grp16 insurance (but was £300 cheaper to insurure than my 172) and cheap to buy.

EP3 Civic Type R

Thanks for the info... yes the 182 is nice, I aint seen one yet in the flesh, not bothered about the Civic bein common, and yes equipment is low compared to 182... I like all the toys... hmmmm I am going to go have a scout round some garages