ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Display problems on PC with new M/B

RB 182
I've put a new motherboard on a PC that had problem with the capistors but now I've fixed it all up it doesn't show a display, the monitor just shows a standby light. I've changed the graphics card for a new one too and that doesn't work either. :dapprove:

The hard drive is powered and there aren't any beep codes (that's presuming I've hooked the internal speaker up right)

Any ideas as it's bugging me to high heaven now!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Have you enough voltage going to the gfx card? I take it that it's an up-to-date one?

Have you connected to the right VGA socket on the rear?! Sounds daft, I know, but if the PC comes with onboard VGA and you've added another gfx card, its an easy mistake to make.

Similarly, if you already have onboard VGA, you will have to disable that in BIOS in order for the newer secondary card to be picked up.

Finally, make sure that the card it sat in the AGP/PCI-X slot properly. I've had a similar black screen - no beeps or anything when one end of the card was about 1mm out. Taking it out and reseating it properly got it working fine...

D.

I trust you've installed the drivers for your new motherboard? Specifically the chipset drivers? Although really fresh untouched install of the OS is usually recommended when changing out the mobo. Sorry if you've already done this.

RB 182
I can't even get to the BIOS as the screen stays on standby. There is no on-board graphics so hence I need to put a graphics card in. I've reseated the card and there aren't any gold pins visable as there all in the slot.

Roy I would mate but I can't even get that far which makes it that much more annoying!

Astra 1.9cdti XP
try resetting the M/B by taking the battery out for a bit or finding the short to reset it. If that doesn't work it's fooked!

Ah s**t I see, should have read better I guess. Dumb question but you have supplied it power to it's molex connector?

Yeah resetting the CMOS is one option but not likely on a new board. It could just be the mobo is toast...or as I say, you maight have overlooked the molex power connector.

RB 182
Yeah the connector is fine. I must say it did say 'warrenty return' on the packaging, suspect I think!

Astra 1.9cdti XP
benclelland said:
Paul, do you mean the M/B is fooked?

Yup....where did you buy if from? Warranty return sounds like someone else has had the same problem and they haven't even bothered to test it!!

Could be a jumper problem - I've had it before with the incorrect FSB selected depending on CPU/Board etc.

RB 182
Daz I'll try that. It does sound like it might be going back as I guess they've not tested it, it was from the local computer store but there not usually that bad, as in it's not a couple of wannabes.

RB 182
It was a Asus. I say was because I took it back today and they were going to test it...test it my arse, I've done that already!

Anyway I got a refund and I just going to get it off the net because there quite old motherboards that one that I want now (socket 478)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
just make sure u have plugged the gcard in correctly....and make sure the power supply is turning on etc....otherwise sounds a bit dodge mate