ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disconnecting tweeters mk3

Megane GT
Right guys, I'm going mad trying to figure out the best way to disconnect my tweeters, especially seeing as most of the guides are for mk2 clios!
Basically, situation is: I've already put in a new head unit and door speakers, but I did not disconnect the tweeters when I put them in and consequently I have blown them :eek: and they've started making a really irritating sound all the time instead of just popping at a loud volume.

I don't care how I go about this, but it's driving me mad. Not got a problem taking the dash off if need be if anyone knows how many screws I'm going to be looking for? I have looked at the covers on the tweeters and there does not seem to be any way to get them off, or is it just a brute force thing?

And one last thing, battery disconnecting? Is that necessary?

Personally don't have an mk3 clio, but I would lift the dash you snip the wires to the tweeters then make sure you insulate them, dash back on jobs a good'un :)

Megane GT
Right ok cheers :) what would you use to insulate them? Just some tape?
And only problem is Im getting rid of the car in 6 months so they need to be back and working . . . (obviously Ill order some new standard ones)

Hi, I upgraded the tweeters on my 197 and unlike the 182etc you dont need to take the dash off, The speaker covers pull out with a fair bit of force but it can crack the tweeter covers i'm sure all mk3's will be the same. I should have my standard old tweeters kicking about somewhere but I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking. They also have a connecter on so just unplug them and job done. I hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick and this helps. :)

106 Quicky
Right ok cheers :) what would you use to insulate them? Just some tape?
And only problem is Im getting rid of the car in 6 months so they need to be back and working . . . (obviously Ill order some new standard ones)

Use heat shrink sleeve rather than using insulation tape, plus when you come to putting them back in you have left over heat shrink to use :)