ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Direct Line asking for the rest of the money?

Fiat Panda 100hp
I wrote off my car ages ago. So I stopped my insurance after the crash. Was about 4 months into the payments. Now they are writing me requesting the rest of the money?

Are they entitle to it? Or should I just send back my insurance certificate?

Thanks for any advice.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
no if you cancel and you pay on a month to month basis a penalty of around £50
or 1 months installment.
for eg if you sold your car you wouldnt continue to pay for a full year?

diff t&c's per insurer tbh but ive cancelled mine more than once and never had problems.

I believe that they can ask for the full year's insurance if they're paying out.

If you refuse they'll probably just knock it off the payout lol

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
If they paid out they are entiletled (can not spell) to the Full years payment.

Fiat Panda 100hp
States this in the policy

If a claim has been made, we will take
any remaining and unpaid premium from the settlement amount.
If you do not cancel the consumer credit agreement, you must
continue to pay the instalments for your policy, otherwise we will
cancel your cover and end the consumer credit agreement.

They have cancelled the agreement after I stopped the direct debits, and they said they was stopping cover. There is nothing in the last sentence about paying it back.

clio 197 cup

They have cancelled the agreement after I stopped the direct debits, and they said they was stopping cover. There is nothing in the last sentence about paying it back.
when you take out insurance,its normally for a years policy,which you appear to be paying off on a monthly basis.im pretty sure that they are entitled to the full balance.
i would contact them to clarify the situation asap.remember if you renage on a finance contract,it can SERIOUSLY affect your credit rating in the future.

steve

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
then how come when you cancel a year long policy,
you can get a rebate for the remaining months,

i thought the idea of the deposit, was so that it made it
uneconomical to cancel a policy half way through,

however i believe your still entitled too,
bt best check the TC's

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
no if you cancel and you pay on a month to month basis a penalty of around £50
or 1 months installment.
for eg if you sold your car you wouldnt continue to pay for a full year?

diff t&c's per insurer tbh but ive cancelled mine more than once and never had problems.

Correct, you should only be charged a penalty or a final months instalment. However some insurance companies take out a credit agreement on your behalf (very bad) such as swinton or budget. In effect you are paying off a loan!!

I would never go with either of those companies ever again!!

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Did they contact you directly? If so ring them back, you don't know what kind of person could have called you claiming to be Direct Line.

PH1 172
Did they contact you directly? If so ring them back, you don't know what kind of person could have called you claiming to be Direct Line.

They wrote to him mate.....

I would ring them up and read that statement back to them as it says that any remaining months will be taken off the settlement, you have the settlement so they must have taken it off that and if not then that's their own fooking fault!!!