ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dilema With My Tyre Situation

Titanium Clio 182
Its very very messy lol. Got a Nankang with 5mm tread on the front passenger side. I have a Michelin Pilot Exalto on the rear, the rear passenger side has 4mm tread and the drivers side has 6mm tread. I had a puncture on Wednesday and bought a new Goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 for 102 Pounds.

Before I bought the new tyre on Wed, my car pulled to the left even though I had the tracking checked and corrected on wednesday so it was not the tracking. I was thinking maybe it was the 2mm difference with the tyre on the rear? Anyway after getting the Goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 fitted yesterday the it now hardly pulls to the left but whehn accelerating it now pulls pretty badly to the right. Maybe again this is due to the difference in the tyre tread. As I don't know what the tread thickness is on new tyres.

I am thinking about buying a new Goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 for the front passenger. But don't know what to do about the rear tyres as the rear drivers is pretty new. When I bought it a few months back I asked the fitter if the difference in the tread would affect the cars handling and he said it shouldn't. But i think this is what has been causing the pulling to the left when driving.

Any help would be appreciated as i don't know what I should do.

Thanks

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Buy the same tyre all the way around at the same time and then sell the other tyres on here or ask if the tyre place does a trade in.

Titanium Clio 182
To get the front passenger and both rear fitted, it will cost 300 pound. NICE!!! lol

Dude you should have shopped around for tyres, you've paid way too much tbh.

If your running odd/different make tyres try to put the same make ones on the same axle, then see how you go.
New tyres should go on the back of the car too, it's worth noting that you should really give the new tyres about 100 miles to wear in (so they are roughed up)

- I'd also look in the tyre section on here and see what folk recommend (there are tons of threads on tyres)

Titanium Clio 182
Dude you should have shopped around for tyres, you've paid way too much tbh.

If your running odd/different make tyres try to put the same make ones on the same axle, then see how you go.
New tyres should go on the back of the car too, it's worth noting that you should really give the new tyres about 100 miles to wear in (so they are roughed up)

- I'd also look in the tyre section on here and see what folk recommend (there are tons of threads on tyres)
I've not bought them yet. Just looking at the moment

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like Cat says . New tyres always on the back . But as long as your running different brands of tyre on the same axel you always have the potential for problems as the different brands of tyre offer different levels of grip . Try and keep the same brand of tyre on the same axel .

GOODYEAR 205/45R16.83W EAGLE F1 GSD 3 £77.88 delivered .

http://www.tyretraders.com/SearchType/Default.aspx?Width=205&Ratio=45&Rim=16&Speed=V

GOODYEAR F 1 GSD 3 - 205/45R16 83W £72.95

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s344p9476&z=18561

Titanium Clio 182
Like Cat says . New tyres always on the back . But as long as your running different brands of tyre on the same axel you always have the potential for problems as the different brands of tyre offer different levels of grip . Try and keep the same brand of tyre on the same axel .
I'm definately changing the front passenger to the Goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 so that will cost 100 pound to get fitted. The rear ones are the same brand but with 2mm difference between the two with the tread.

Clio 182
I checked mytyres.co.uk and to get them fitted its 102 for each tyre. The place where I might get them says 100 pound is a special offer also.

Are there any cheaper places?

On my 206 gti about half a year ago a got 2 F1's fitted and balanced at hot lane tyres near me for about £110 if i remember rightly

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Why are you people paying £100+ . Buy them for 70 odd quid and get them fitted locally for a fiver a corner . Job done .

Titanium Clio 182
You got two Goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 fitted for 110. Are you sure there the same tyres i'm going on about.

Titanium Clio 182

GOODYEAR 205/45R16.83W EAGLE F1 GSD 3 £77.88 delivered .

http://www.tyretraders.com/SearchType/Default.aspx?Width=205&Ratio=45&Rim=16&Speed=V

GOODYEAR F 1 GSD 3 - 205/45R16 83W £72.95

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s344p9476&z=18561
Thank you for them links, a big price difference.
My Tyres: £ 265.20
tyretraders: £243.09
camskill: £226.20

Thank You again, looks like you saved me a lot. Just need to find a cheap place to fit them.

new tyres on the back, old ones on the front
:eek:

I *SWEAR* you always used to say new on the front old on the back!!!

Welcome to the correct way of thinking ;) ;) lol

To the OP, find a local independant place to fit your tyres as they won't mind doing it cash in hand. Big chains don't like to fit tyres they haven't sold :rolleyes:.

Costco's sell tyres too - michelins etc, worth remembering if your a member there.

Why are you people paying £100+ . Buy them for 70 odd quid and get them fitted locally for a fiver a corner . Job done .
I didn't get that bit either.

Titanium Clio 182
:eek:

I *SWEAR* you always used to say new on the front old on the back!!!

Welcome to the correct way of thinking ;) ;) lol

To the OP, find a local independant place to fit your tyres as they won't mind doing it cash in hand. Big chains don't like to fit tyres they haven't sold :rolleyes:.

I will do, thanks everyone :D

Well my tyre garage always says new ones on the front, perhaps its dependant on the drive (FWD/RWD) I would always rather have the new ones on the front myself on a FWD

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Well my tyre garage always says new ones on the front, perhaps its dependant on the drive (FWD/RWD) I would always rather have the new ones on the front myself on a FWD

It doesn't matter if its fwd or rwd . New tyres always go on the rear . If you have to brake hard especially in wintery conditions and you have tyres with a good thread on the front and not so good thread on the rear , the fronts will grip and the rears won't .So you'll end up with the rear of the car wanting to overtake the front .

Trust me , i've experienced this and it was ass twitching time lol .

When i change my tyres , i always move the rears to the front and stick the new ones on the back .

Titanium Clio 182
It doesn't matter if its fwd or rwd . New tyres always go on the rear . If you have to brake hard especially in wintery conditions and you have tyres with a good thread on the front and not so good thread on the rear , the fronts will grip and the rears won't .So you'll end up with the rear of the car wanting to overtake the front .

Trust me , i've experienced this and it was ass twitching time lol .

When i change my tyres , i always move the rears to the front and stick the new ones on the back .
Also the front wheel drive cars, the front ones will wear down quicker than the rear so realistically you will be constantly changing the front tyres only lol.

Can't believe I paid 102 to buy and get the tyre fitted on Wednesday, but it was 5pm, the AA man was driving around in pompey, took us 5 attempts to get a garage that had my size 205/45/R16. Kwik Fit were gonna charge 133 :eek:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Also the front wheel drive cars, the front ones will wear down quicker than the rear so realistically you will be constantly changing the front tyres only lol.

It also prolongs the interval between tyre changes doing it this way ;)