ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital TV Aerials

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Got an lcd with freeview built in for christmas, so went and bought an aerial from argos, £20, outdoor (says it works in the loft) digital and analogue.

I've just been in the loft for the past 2 hours trying to get the fcuker to work, and ive just about lost my rag. Best i could manage was to get 1/2 the channels after fiddling around until blue in the face.

I'm now thinking of getting an indoor amplified aerial. Any recommendations?

Got an lcd with freeview built in for christmas, so went and bought an aerial from argos, £20, outdoor (says it works in the loft) digital and analogue.

I've just been in the loft for the past 2 hours trying to get the fcuker to work, and ive just about lost my rag. Best i could manage was to get 1/2 the channels after fiddling around until blue in the face.

I'm now thinking of getting an indoor amplified aerial. Any recommendations?

Hire someone to put one on your roof. I can point you in the direction of a good fitter if you are local to me.

EDIT:
Should've said, a good fitter will come out and quote for free, including going on the roof to measure signal strength and recommend accordingly.

BMW 118d
When we got a new aerial fitted I got speaking to the fitter and internal aerials don't work as well as external for digital as the roof blocks some of the signal.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've already got sky, i don't partcularly want another aerial on the side of the house. plus i'm tight and refuse to pay much just to watch a few channels upstairs

i've already got sky, i don't partcularly want another aerial on the side of the house. plus i'm tight and refuse to pay much just to watch a few channels upstairs

i'd jsut pay the few quid a month extra for the second box

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Look at everyone elses aerials & point yours in the same direction.

What db gain have you bought???

Failing that get a splitter & split original signal.

Clio 182 FF/Cup Packs

Get one of these and use the RF out on the back of you're existing sky box, run some coax to your bedroom. Downside is only 1 channel can be watched upstairs and down. Upside, v.cheap.

Sky Eye FTW! :p

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i'm not running cables from downstairs to upstairs. I think i'll try an amplified indoor aerial, if it doesn't work fcuk it - i don't watch it upstairs anyway!

As for another sky box, i was going to put the small tv on the wall to maximise space, another box will defeat the object as i'd need another cabinet to put it on

Oil Burner
get a quad LMB spliter for your dish £50ish, then run a cable into your bedroom, get an old sky box, get a free to view card £20

get the free to view sky channels at the same quality as downstairs in the upstairs bedroom, all done without sky sticking their hands in your pocket.

Also bare in mind digital is not great in all of the country, i live in an area which is one of the worst in the country, 1/2 signal would be v good from a loft aerial, most with good reception have small radio masts attached to hteir houses.

VaVa
Mines in my loft and the signal is terrible. My semi-detatched is perpendicular to the signal direction too so the signal is effectively having to travel through the next door neighbours roof too! One of the first things I noticed whn I moved in was that just about every other house in my close has their aerial on the roof.

First job for the new year is aerial on roof and co-ax to the bedrooms.

LY 182
get a quad LMB spliter for your dish £50ish, then run a cable into your bedroom, get an old sky box, get a free to view card £20

get the free to view sky channels at the same quality as downstairs in the upstairs bedroom, all done without sky sticking their hands in your pocket.

Also bare in mind digital is not great in all of the country, i live in an area which is one of the worst in the country, 1/2 signal would be v good from a loft aerial, most with good reception have small radio masts attached to hteir houses.
thats the best way, you can buy old sky boxes cheap off ebay some with the freeveiw card with them

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Tesco currently have their "technika" wireless video sender for £22 (normally £27), it's a complete and utter bargain. The picture & sound quality is superb, just do a quick search of the web. I was a bit sceptical before I bought ours because some of the digisender ones are over £100.

Get a second sky remote from ebay and you're sorted.

Oil Burner

Tesco currently have their "technika" wireless video sender for £22 (normally £27), it's a complete and utter bargain. The picture & sound quality is superb, just do a quick search of the web. I was a bit sceptical before I bought ours because some of the digisender ones are over £100.

and be stuck watching the same channel,

or get the quad LMB and sky box you probably already have (or a mate will) and do it properly first time;)

R35 GTR
  K20 EG Hatch
Its LNB! Low noise blocker :p lol

I will sell whoever wants one, cable F connectors and a box for £50, £60 delivered???

I bet if I come round I could sort your digi aerial problem and get it working properly too ;)

or get the quad LMB and sky box you probably already have (or a mate will) and do it properly first time;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

He doesn't want to run another cable.

Actually, we have multiroom anyway, so I have 2 of these transmitters (my dad bought 2 sets of these and used one transmitter and 2 receiveres, so I've borrowed the second transmitter for our house) and one receiver, so we can switch between boxes anyway!

Skoda Fabia vRS
i have the same problem with the mrs' freeview box, we can actually see the transmission mast from her house, yet we get crap signal using an indoor aerial, even with a booster on it aswell

K20 EG Hatch
i have the same problem with the mrs' freeview box, we can actually see the transmission mast from her house, yet we get crap signal using an indoor aerial, even with a booster on it aswell

Too much signal can be just as bad as not enough ;)

BMW F31
if your having problems with your aerial its most likely that the aerial you are using to pick up the signals is not the right band.

if like me, you live in an area where there is very little reception then you will have to find out what channels freeview are sent on from your local mast.

because digital is multiplexed across single channels (e.g 10 channels squeezed onto 1 broadcast channel) you have to find out which channels from iirc 21-68 yours are broadcasted on. then once you know for example like where i live the channels are broadcast on 21, 36, 45, and 58 for example, that you will need an aerial that picks up that range e.g either a high gain aerial or a high gain digital aerial. you will find that all aerials are grouped e.g W etc.

also you need to make sure if your putting it in your loft or anywhere for that matter, you have the least cable from aerial to tv as poss.

i have also read rather than using standard shitty coax, use sky coax to send the signal instead, as it is sheilded and thus will give you a better signal once it reaches the tv.

there is a site on the net that tells you what channels your signal is broadcast on and which transmitter you use.

that way you can buy the right aerial and point it the right way.

EDIT.

go to this address and check out what channels you are receiving

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

Last edited:
if your having problems with your aerial its most likely that the aerial you are using to pick up the signals is not the right band.

if like me, you live in an area where there is very little reception then you will have to find out what channels freeview are sent on from your local mast.

because digital is multiplexed across single channels (e.g 10 channels squeezed onto 1 broadcast channel) you have to find out which channels from iirc 21-68 yours are broadcasted on. then once you know for example like where i live the channels are broadcast on 21, 36, 45, and 58 for example, that you will need an aerial that picks up that range e.g either a high gain aerial or a high gain digital aerial. you will find that all aerials are grouped e.g W etc.

also you need to make sure if your putting it in your loft or anywhere for that matter, you have the least cable from aerial to tv as poss.

i have also read rather than using standard s**tty coax, use sky coax to send the signal instead, as it is sheilded and thus will give you a better signal once it reaches the tv.

there is a site on the net that tells you what channels your signal is broadcast on and which transmitter you use.

EDIT.

Dont buy sky coax as they will ebnd you over for it. What you want is proper 75 Ohm fully shieled Coax from B&Q or similar. Same kinda stuff as is used by sky but will be cheaper

i have also read rather than using standard s**tty coax, use sky coax to send the signal instead, as it is sheilded and thus will give you a better signal once it reaches the tv.

EDIT.

Dont buy sky coax as they will ebnd you over for it. What you want is proper 75 Ohm fully shieled Coax from B&Q or similar. Same kinda stuff as is used by sky but will be cheaper

I bought some from B&Q yesterday. £13.98 for 25 metres. This is for proper sat cable and not just normal coax.

Its 30p a metre from http://www.satcure.co.uk/ but if you are doing a DIY install I'd recommend putting up a shotgun cable so you dont have to drill anymore holes when you get sky+/hd. I'm helping a mate put up our old sky dish/box up on his house.

monaco blue 172 ..
If you have sky already......and just want to watch the freeview chanels on the new tv upstairs...
why dont ya just keep watching tv downstairs through sky .
and watch freeview upstairs through you existing aerial on the roof of the house ??????thats what we do . dont need to piss about with so called digital aerials..
unless you dont already have an aerial on your house ???

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
If you have sky already......and just want to watch the freeview chanels on the new tv upstairs...
why dont ya just keep watching tv downstairs through sky .
and watch freeview upstairs through you existing aerial on the roof of the house ??????thats what we do . dont need to piss about with so called digital aerials..
unless you dont already have an aerial on your house ???

give that man a banana! new house so no aerial on house