ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Differential

Started to have a problem with my 182 about a week ago not really drove it since though. Thought it was the near side drive shaft but changed it out with a new one and it made no/very little difference to the noise...

And after a bit of looking about am starting to think it's the diff that's gone or is on the way out?

You can still selected all the gears and the car drives fine, but when ever slowing down, or coasting you can hear a ticking/clicking noise like this :

th_795A6CE8-7C85-48D2-A36A-15F884155A24-3389-000003AEF4C55A41.jpg

th_C13D5135-C2C7-4C36-8F1B-E8E1C6FA60A3-1845-000001F6A9AE5571.jpg

Anyway of checking if it is the diff that's gone? Going to out it into the garage to have it looked at. But if I need a new box would rather get it all sorted ASAP!

Cheers

Car has been to the garage to make sure it was the diff and it is :dapprove:

Price the garage gave me for removing and fitting. Nearly £400 including vat! Is that steep or about right? Looks like I might have a good fitting one myself :boring:

Yeah that looks like its going to be the best option really....

Is removing and fitting the box hard? Need any special tools etc? Never done a box change but always work on my own cars, like wishbones, brakes, wheel bearing, suspension etc. just not sure if its worth me trying to DIY it :S

Done a search on this and there is alot of stuff about out the top or bottom. And being honest I dont want to touch the sub frame, in case of snapped bolt which is a head ache when doing it on your drive way!

So how hard is it really to take it out the top? How long would it take for a first timer with basic knowledge?

330i. E30 Touring.
Done a search on this and there is alot of stuff about out the top or bottom. And being honest I dont want to touch the sub frame, in case of snapped bolt which is a head ache when doing it on your drive way!

So how hard is it really to take it out the top? How long would it take for a first timer with basic knowledge?

Book time is 5-6 hours. My first time was about 10 hours taking things slowly. My quickest time is 3.5 hours

So looks like am going to give this ago taking it out the top.

Is there anything special/any secrets I need to know for getting it out the top :rasp: ?

Will try and get pictures of it as well since I cant see any guides on here. So any tips would be great :lolup:

But what's the difference? Is taking it out the top just tighter for space? Or is there more to it then that?

And for the subframe do you need to take it right off or can you just drop it down a bit. Not really had the time to look what the best way would be why. But hopefully going to make a start on it on Sunday or Monday

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You could always ask a member on here for a hand for a crate of beer or two. Gaz isn't too far away and iirc he's alright with the spanners.

Just don't talk to him about flights used as deposits.

HBT 172 Cup
Id personally remove the subframe rather than try and wegde the box in between the subframe chassis on passenger side. But i think it depends how high you can get the car off the ground (i.e how high the trolley jack and axle stands can go, in my case... not very high)

330i. E30 Touring.
Id personally remove the subframe rather than try and wegde the box in between the subframe chassis on passenger side. But i think it depends how high you can get the car off the ground (i.e how high the trolley jack and axle stands can go, in my case... not very high)

Removing the frame completely is a mega pig IMO.. Getting the subframe down and leaving the rack up is a nightmare every time I've tried.

Unless you're on a ramp, obvs..

I just don't like undoing the subframe mounting bolts if I can help it.

Cheers guys.

Done a bit more research on this. And really don't want to touch the sub frame if possibly, just through fear of snapping bolts :eek: haha.

Read a thread about someone taking it out of the passengers side arch, but cant seem to find it again :S. Anyway to get it out the arch do you need to touch the subframe, or is it just a case of taking the strut/hub off and maybe the wishbone?

330i. E30 Touring.
If you want it out from anywhere other than the top, you need to drop the subframe.

It's not the bolts you'll snap, it's the frame bolt clips..

Cheers for the advice.

I take it, that its a nightmare when that happens then? Might just give it a shoot taking it out the top, and if that fails then just drop the frame :boring: