ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between 16" and 15" Wheels/Tyres?

Ph2 Clio 172
In terms of track day performance and handling, road performance and handling, weight, cost etc? Why would you choose 16" over 15", and vise versa?

Im very tempted to change my wheels on my Phase 2 172 for some 15" ones purely because the tyres are so much cheaper than the 16" versions (handy if my plans to do a few track days work out), but am I going to be sacrificing other areas?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I run 16's on the road as I personally prefur the look of 15's on the clio's.

For trackdays however I have got myself some 15" wheels, so I can wreck the tyres on those as much as I like, as they are dirt cheap.

AFIK though, there are no differences really.

RSC 182 Cup
I changed my 182 Cup from stock 16" rims to 15" with 205/50R15 tyres.

Initial turn in is a bit slower (as you'd expect) but the handling is actually better in tight corners. Ride is better and I find the rear end is less likely to want to "step out" over mid corner road imperfections.

Out right cornering speed is actually better on the 15", but I am comparing Bridgestone RE-11 tyres to the stock PE2's (which were about 1/2 to 2/3rds worn and 4yrs old when replaced.)