ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Differance between SD and SDHC cards?

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
As above really. I bought a SDHC card a couple of years ago for my new samsung camera. Didn't realise it was a SDHC card until I fitted it and the camera didn't like it. I've got to buy a big SD card for my partners digital photo frame, but the majority of cards in Tescos etc are now SDHC, especially the bigger capacaty ones. I've read the frame instructions, but no mention of SDHC.

Hope this makes sense chaps!

182FF with cup packs
SDHC is Secure Digital High Capacity.

It is a specific extension to the SD standard for cards over 4GB. (though some SD only devices can only ready upto 1GB)

So, greater than 4GB will always be SDHC.
SDHC devices will read SD cards, if a device is built to the SD standard though (i.e. older devices) it will not handle SDHC cards unless there is some sort of firmware update for it.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Would you expect most stuff made nowadays to accept SDHC? They also seem much better value than SD cards as well.

182FF with cup packs
Virtuallt all modern stuff will accept SDHC, and they're probably cheaper because more get made. No use making millions of something that's effectivly an outdated standard when something has superceeded it.