ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diesel or Petrol?

Hi people! just wondering what ya'll opinions are about diesel and petrol. Im on the verge of ordering the new dynamique and Im thinking about the 1.5 dci version. But how do they compare to the petrol? Better or worse?

cheers

Clio 182
I guess it depends on how many miles you will be doing, diesel's are good for high mpg and many miles but nowdays petrol can be just as good.

Volvo S60 T5
DCI egines are pretty damn good, but for proper power you need at least a 2.2 upwards, the V6 dci espace goes like stink for a big motor.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
diesels are EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

death to all diesels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remapped derv Golf
Most driving (depending on where you live) is 30-50mph and the diesel should be better for that.

Remember seeing a Top Gear episode with a Lupo 1.4TDi Vs 1.4i version and the diesel proved better for most driving. Accept 0-60 and top speed of course.

Also the Mk3 is quite heavy so I wouldn't even bother with a 1.2 petrol version.

I much prefere dcis to petrols.
You have to drive them both to compare them. In my opinion you have to take inot account fuel prices etc with a 1.2/1.4/1.6 vs dci (as there still not hugly quick so why not go the whole hog to 172/182) the RS is a different ketle of fish as there no dci equivalent.
I'd always go for the dci though its slightly slower top end (not much though my 65hp dci keeps with 1.2 petrols) but much more power low down less changing gear and cheap (ish) to run. £85 road fund licnece vs what £120 or so. 55mpg when I drive hard (65hp version) a petrol would get 30mpg. Going easy 70mpg not sure I've not reset the trip for some time. A petrol gets about 40 maximum.
Noise on the road is less than a petrol IMO when it starts its noiser but how often do you sit there standing still?
Someones bound to say the dci wiegh more and don't handle as good etc as its 1.4/1.6 front end weight (ie about 40kg's more) but its no great issue I've tracked my dci and its been fine the extra torque I prefere the torque delivery on track more than the Williams delivery (although the Williams is hugly more powerful).

Yaris Hybrid
Those dci engines are great but I find with diesels that the cost of the car plus the fact that the fuel is more expensive means that you would have to do some serious mileage to be better off.

For my money the dci80 courtesy car I had was way more fun and pleasureable to drive than the petrols but I don't think I would buy one with my own money.

Just to give you some idea although your figures depend how you drive, the harder you drive the less miles before a dci becomes economical,
Using the figures I'd get with petrol vs dci.
Dci about £1.1k more expensive (£1k list +£100 interest on loan over 3 yrs).
To do 10k in a petrol will cost about £1250
To do 10k in a dci will cost about £740
Saving in road fund over 3 yrs is £70
Therefore ever 10k you'll save just over £500.
Resale value of a dci is about £300 more than a equivalent petrol.
My figures arn't bias towards either car if anything I'm bias towards the petrol.
So assuming you'll do over 16k in 3 yrs the dci is more economical.
In my case I've done 54k in just over 3yrs so I've saved £1.7k minus what its worth extra.
Even the cost for the extended warenties is the same.
Servicing prices are the same.

Yaris Hybrid
I reckoned I was getting 20mpg more out of the dci80 compared to my 1.2 16v when driving in a similar manner.

Is that what sort of figure you used to calculate the fuel costs?

My bro was looking at a 1.4 new shape (just coming out now) Yaris diesel and it wasn't that far short of £12k! The new Clio is a bit cheaper than that but it doesn't half seem dear...

Toypop said:
I reckoned I was getting 20mpg more out of the dci80 compared to my 1.2 16v when driving in a similar manner.

Is that what sort of figure you used to calculate the fuel costs?

My bro was looking at a 1.4 new shape (just coming out now) Yaris diesel and it wasn't that far short of £12k! The new Clio is a bit cheaper than that but it doesn't half seem dear...
Nope I used 32mpg for the petrol and 55 for the diesel.
The Yaris disels is vry economicla my brothers got one but I much prefere my car for some reaosn the Yaris his does seem to get about 5~10mpg more but I've not driven it and done mp test but it is a lighter car.

cheers guys for that!yeh renault have told me the 1.5 dci mk 3 is more economical than my 1.2 16v dynamique!i have found that as time has gone on my dynamique does some seroious drinking!alot more than when it was new.maybe it happens to all cars?i duno, but when i test drove the 1.5dci mk3, it felt smooth.the looks will grow on me i think but the torque was good.ragged it 0-50 in no time but from 50+ it seemed bit slow?then again being uphill didnt help :p

Black Clio 182
a diesel is more economical but the petrol will drive better/faster, it all just depends on what sort of driving you do, if you just do sort distance then get a petrol as the diesel will be a waste of time but if you do alot of long distance driving get the diesel as it will save you money on petrol.

Yaris Hybrid
It varied on the conditions and how I drove but my 1.2 16v did 45 to 55mpg over a tank and the DCI80 would do 65 to 80mpg. The DCI80 felt a lot quicker though. I had the DCI80 when my 182 wasn't delivered on time due to a fault. I had been driving a 2.2 Vectra SRI 150bhp and getting in the DCI80 was fine where as the 1.2 16v felt asthmatic. I think the torque and general low down power delivery of the diesel gives you a deceptive feeling that the car is quicker than it is.

Mike@Rentech said:
DCI egines are pretty damn good, but for proper power you need at least a 2.2 upwards, the V6 dci espace goes like stink for a big motor.

;) especially once they've visited superchips :approve:

I'll be looking at diesels the next time I change cars - something like the Fabia vRS or Ibiza Cupra TDI (160bhp) appeal. In every day driving the Ibiza is a bloody rocketship with the amount of torque it's got - it's a lot faster in gear accelaration than a 182 (I remember seeing a magazine test listing all the ingear times and it wasn't really that close...). Saying that I really like the Focus ST... ;)

I think if you're comparing a 1.5dCI with a 1.2/1.4 petrol it all comes down to how many miles you do. A diesel costs more to buy in the first place and unless you're doing a large number of miles, the petrol will work out cheaper overall.