ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diagnose my Clunk

RB Clio 182 Cup
So I am getting a fairly loud clunk but very rarely and it only maifests itself under very particular conditions.

Only times I have heard it are, accelerating away hard in 1st to get across a busy roundabout then as i come off the throttle theres a loud clunk. Has done it a couple of times in 2nd gear aswell when going from full throttle to nothing but both times it is fairly low revs, less than 4k when I am lifting off.

I am guessing engine/gearbox mounts but does the times its happening give any indication which one(s)?

ITB'd MK1
if mounts are ok, look at the exhaust flexi join. If the gasket becomes very worn the springs on the join become slack the joint pulls apart under accel, then clunks back together

I'd placem a guess on it being the exhaust manifold striking the subframe under excessive engine movement. Check the positioning of the engine in the upper mount and the health of the lower mount.

RB Clio 182 Cup
Will get the chance to examine it this wknd, how do I know if a mount is buggered will it be literally falling apart or is there a level of movement which will tell me it must be dead?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
dog bone mount or the top gearbox one use the thorrle body rock the end the gearbox end back and forth should be very little movement them using the fuel rail cover try and twist the engine back and forth