ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Devastated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
you can avoid it being a write off by getting a repair estimate yourself. Ask them for the repairable/write off threshold (usually around 65%) and then make sure your estimate comes it no more than that figure. The garage you choose will need to agreed the repair costs will be capped but that should be easily achievable given that second hand parts are so cheap.

Used to see this all the time at work, cars with very little damage would be written off because of silly rrp prices when realistically they could be fixed for a couple of hundred quid. Best was an RS6 with a repair cost of 18,000 EUR at Audi. Agreed a repair for 6500 EUR at a private body shop using recycled parts and avoided it being written off.

Even better, take a cash in lieu offer.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Please be aware you can have your vehicle repaired up to 100% of the value of the car in some cases.

Vvalue is a funny word though. There are many many ways of valuing a car especially from an insurance pov.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Please be aware you can have your vehicle repaired up to 100% of the value of the car in some cases.

Vvalue is a funny word though. There are many many ways of valuing a car especially from an insurance pov.
How so gally? In the 3500 cars I've written off I've never seen upto 100% repair unless there was no salvage value and If there was no value we would dispute the claim as 0% isn't the market rate!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If that's two consecutive frames of video then it may not be conclusive enough. The door could have opened
you can avoid it being a write off by getting a repair estimate yourself. Ask them for the repairable/write off threshold (usually around 65%) and then make sure your estimate comes it no more than that figure. The garage you choose will need to agreed the repair costs will be capped but that should be easily achievable given that second hand parts are so cheap.

Used to see this all the time at work, cars with very little damage would be written off because of silly rrp prices when realistically they could be fixed for a couple of hundred quid. Best was an RS6 with a repair cost of 18,000 EUR at Audi. Agreed a repair for 6500 EUR at a private body shop using recycled parts and avoided it being written off.

This.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Well the accident management company were in touch today and went through all the details. I've filled out the statement of truth and sent it back with pics and and the cctv footage. (everyone at work who watched it instantly thought it was the other party at fault). Just hope the insurance see it the same way!

Unfortunately with work and Christmas coming up I don't really have time to be going round places for quotes. It looks like I'll just have to see how it pans out and take it from there...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Well the accident management company were in touch today and went through all the details. I've filled out the statement of truth and sent it back with pics and and the cctv footage. (everyone at work who watched it instantly thought it was the other party at fault). Just hope the insurance see it the same way!

Unfortunately with work and Christmas coming up I don't really have time to be going round places for quotes. It looks like I'll just have to see how it pans out and take it from there...
Most places will be able to estimate cars from pictures. I never viewed one customers car in the flesh to come up with rough costs!

Just seen accident management. Their labour rates and lack of parts/paint discount will kill it in a second

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Most places will be able to estimate cars from pictures. I never viewed one customers car in the flesh to come up with rough costs!

Just seen accident management. Their labour rates and lack of parts/paint discount will kill it in a second

I'll see how the next few days go... I have suggested a place I'd like to have the work done if possible that I know a few people have said is good and they're looking into it. It's Kindertons accident management sorting it all if that's the one your looking at?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'll see how the next few days go... I have suggested a place I'd like to have the work done if possible that I know a few people have said is good and they're looking into it. It's Kindertons accident management sorting it all if that's the one your looking at?
Yeah they'll likely be able to do a mobile estimate. Make it clear that you don't want it a t loss if that is what you want. On non fault claims the labour rate charged is more than the garage get paid as they rebate part of the cost to the AM company. No-one bar the car owner really looses in that situation.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Toby, there's a place in Halifax called Top Coat. They deal will some really high end stuff but its where I've taken all my cars that needed work.

They are very well priced aswell. Worth giving them a call mate.

Cheers mate, I'll have a look tomorrow. Another mate also recommended Burrwood Garage in Halifax. You heard of them?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I may be playing devils advocate here, but THE WHOLE LENGTH OF THE FRIGGIN CAR?

You drive through these places so steady, so the moment a door gets opened you can slam on the anchors... yet full car?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I may be playing devils advocate here, but THE WHOLE LENGTH OF THE FRIGGIN CAR?

You drive through these places so steady, so the moment a door gets opened you can slam on the anchors... yet full car?

It wasn't the whole length of the car. It was from the start of it on the front wing to just before the door handle. The rest occurred while trying to get the car away from his. With the door bent forward a bit it kind of wedged it so which ever way I tried to move it caught it further.
The guy who opened it didn't seem to be making much attempt to move the door out of the way either...

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
It wasn't the whole length of the car. It was from the start of it on the front wing to just before the door handle. The rest occurred while trying to get the car away from his. With the door bent forward a bit it kind of wedged it so which ever way I tried to move it caught it further.
The guy who opened it didn't seem to be making much attempt to move the door out of the way either...
donar parts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d27a11c95

Megane 225 f1
Euro car parts do body panels but cannot see a clio door. May be worth a shout. Can get a clio bonnet for £80 for instance.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Euro car parts do body panels but cannot see a clio door. May be worth a shout. Can get a clio bonnet for £80 for instance.
Go very careful there.

My mate bought a complete front end for an S3 and the fit was dreadful. Not even close.

Megane 225 f1
Go very careful there.

My mate bought a complete front end for an S3 and the fit was dreadful. Not even close.

Yea i have heard that. I've found that with other stuff i have fitted e.g exhausts from motor factors are never exactly the same. My local bodyshop use euro for panels but they use the better quality ones (platinum plus range its called) they reccommend them. Suppose its the same old story, you get what you pay for! Hope you manage to get your motor sorted @realnumber 1

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Hope you get it sorted. One thing I've noticed in your CCTV images is that they appear to have parked ridiculously too. So maybe you should argue that they're too retarded to be allowed to drive at all.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Well the insurance called today. They've looked at the cctv and straight away told me they think it's clear that the other party was at fault.
So my car's getting picked up on Monday and I'll be having a 1 series while it's fixed.
I've also decided to just go with their approved body shop. Reason being that if the job is poor I can have it sorted again without much bother whereas if a place I ask them to do it f***s it up it'd probably turn a little more complicated...

Mec 350 slk manual
Well the insurance called today. They've looked at the cctv and straight away told me they think it's clear that the other party was at fault.
So my car's getting picked up on Monday and I'll be having a 1 series while it's fixed.
I've also decided to just go with their approved body shop. Reason being that if the job is poor I can have it sorted again without much bother whereas if a place I ask them to do it f***s it up it'd probably turn a little more complicated...
I think you will be ok , when my ph1 got hit it needed a new bonnet , front wing and headlight plus bumper painted and blended down the door to match cost the insurance £1300 and that was 8 months ago

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Kiss your car goodbye then. Insurers' own bodyshops love to charge way beyond the edge of reason.
They don't mate. I used to have people saying this all the time but when they added up all the work they could do it cheaper using new parts. Parts and paint is where the cost lie. Labour is very often less than £25 an hour.

Which ever insurance bodyshop you go to they will use audatex or glassmatrixs to asses cost of repairs. Both those systems use mrrp and manufactures repair times to calculate.

If it is a t loss see if renault are running a write off avoidance scheme where they offer more discount on parts

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The lady on the phone seemed to think it'll get fixed and said the damage wasn't that bad.
If it does get written off and they say give me 3k for it and let me buy it back for 1k another 1k would see it sorted and I'll be 1k up with a cat D that won't be worth much either way by the time I sell it...
Plus I have all the evidence of why it was written off for any potential buyer not to be put off.
I just need to see if the garage will do my front bumper as a little extra while the works being done now :).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry haven't got back to you mate. Ironically it's been a hectic week!

Graham seems to have things half covered.

In regards to the 100% thing, one of my main insurance companies will happily repair to high percentages, they get to keep a policyholder and the guy gets to keep his car. Mostly older people you find, not always with older cars.

2 jobs in the last month assessed by myself have been 90%+ TLAs.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Kindertons dealt with a repair of mine a few years ago. It was a Megane Coupe that i'd paid £2,000 for a year earlier.

I was really hoping it was going to be written off, but the bill came back at £1950 and they repaired it! I also had a hire car for 2 weeks.

There is hope for you yet!

If most body shops didn't take the piss price wise many more cars would still be on the road.
Cars over a certain age should be repaired with second hand panels instead of new to keep these cars on the road.
It is beyond me how body repairers justify the costs they charge !
They try and claim for the slightest thing and bump the bill up.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If most body shops didn't take the piss price wise many more cars would still be on the road.
Cars over a certain age should be repaired with second hand panels instead of new to keep these cars on the road.
It is beyond me how body repairers justify the costs they charge !
They try and claim for the slightest thing and bump the bill up.
You realise how utterly ridiculous that sounds? Why would a garage inflate the price of a job and it end up a total loss for which they'll receive £75?

A few people I know have had to fight with insurers regarding estimated repair costs on there cars.
One was a Golf V6, which he told me there are not many around at the moment for sale.
And clean ones demand a premium.
The Bodyshop estimate was obscene and had parts onto the estimate that could have quite easily been painted again and not replaced (scratched bumpers, trim mouldings and doors etc). This all bumped up the estimate.
It had suffered a front drivers side knock from a third party resulting in a damage to the wing, door, headlight and front bumper.
Yet the Bodyshop had on the report many goings that were not damaged such as repair/paint drivers rear 1/4, rear bumper, tyre, wheels, bonnet etc etc.
Many of these extras would have written his car off if he did not contest it.
He called the third parties insurance involved who was based in North of England somewhere (some 100s of miles south of Dundee). The lad on the phone told him he cannot assess each car and has to go by the bodyshops report.
My friend then took the car elsewhere to get a estimate.
Law and behold the cars estimate halved regarding parts needing replaced.
The quote from first Bodyshop used were ridiculous.
Needless to say the car is still on the road free of any CAT C or D status.

I mentioned using second hand panels to reduce to price for a repair.
As most people would be greatful to get their car back and not have to go through the hassle of finding a replacement vehicle the same spec and fighting for a good settlement when the car is written off as many payouts fail to meet the price cars are selling for leaving people out of pocket due to a claim that was no fault of there own.

Status
Not open for further replies.