ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing question on new inferno 182

Non
Hi guys

Recently purchased a Inferno orange 182 cup and absolutely love it!

I am familiar with using snowfoam, pre wash / acid, 2 bucket hand wash, but I am not clued up on using a claybar, wax, or sealant

I was wondering if is worth doing these myself, or paying someone to do this for me? I've looked at some videos on YouTube and seen people do these by hand and it looks very doable

I am just concerned at how effective they are, if they can damage paint etc. And if I need to do all 3 of them?

Found a reload sealant for £40 on amazon, seems to get good reviews

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Crack on yourself. Its straight forward enough and unless you're using a very very aggressive clay, you wont do any damage.
Far more rewarding when you stand back and admire the fruits of your labour.

There are 2 absolute golden rules to using a clay bar:
1) Use plenty of lube and keep the panel wet so the bar doesn't grab.
2) If you drop the bar or contaminate it, throw it in the bin immediately, do not be tempted to put it back on the vehicle body. Bets off cutting a new clay bar into 2 or 4 pieces so if you do drop it by accident then you haven't wasted a whole clay.

Start little, read and watch as much info as you can and take your time.

Non
Crack on yourself. Its straight forward enough and unless you're using a very very aggressive clay, you wont do any damage.
Far more rewarding when you stand back and admire the fruits of your labour.

There are 2 absolute golden rules to using a clay bar:
1) Use plenty of lube and keep the panel wet so the bar doesn't grab.
2) If you drop the bar or contaminate it, throw it in the bin immediately, do not be tempted to put it back on the vehicle body. Bets off cutting a new clay bar into 2 or 4 pieces so if you do drop it by accident then you haven't wasted a whole clay.

Start little, read and watch as much info as you can and take your time.

Thanks mate that's great!!

Would you recommend applying wax or sealant after? I've read sealent last longer, but again have the same concerns

Thanks

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate that's great!!

Would you recommend applying wax or sealant after? I've read sealent last longer, but again have the same concerns

Thanks
Either will be fine.

All depends what kind of finish you like. Personally I don’t use waxes anymore but that’s just my preference.
I tend to do the following:

Wash
Decontaminate
Clay
Wash
Machine correct
IPA wipedown
Top with a Si02 spray such as Carpro Reload or Gtechniq C2V3.

But for your first go, don’t faff about with all that too much.

Wash with a good quality shampoo such as Carpro Reset.

Decontaminate with a product such as IronX.

Re-wash

Clay - The Meguiars quick clay is a perfect clay for a beginner as it’s super easy to use, gets good results and doesn’t marr the paint too much.

Re-wash

Dry

Spray/wipe Gtechniq C2V3.

That’s probably the quickest and easiest way to get nice clean paintwork. It will be super glossy and easily protected with a product that is mega easy to use, and doesn’t matter if you get it on rubber/plastics or glass. You could polish between the dry/sealant stage, but in reality, if you’re doing it by hand, you won’t achieve much of anything. Just concentrate on getting it decontaminated and sealed with a good quality product.

You can top up with C2V3 after your maintenance wash too to keep the coating up.

Dead easy with great results.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Need a Tar Remover in that decontamination process and I'd be polishing after claying, no matter how careful you are you will inflict marring when using a clay bar.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Need a Tar Remover in that decontamination process and I'd be polishing after claying, no matter how careful you are you will inflict marring when using a clay bar.

Agree that Tar Remover is a good shout.
With regards to polishing, you’re not going to achieve much by hand in terms of correction so unless you have a machine and know how to use it, I wouldn’t bother.
Polishes that appear to make a noticeable difference by hand are largely full of fillers and just masking swirls rather than correcting them.
Polishes and compounds cannot be worked properly by hand for them to have a noticeable effect imo.

With the OP being new to this kind of thing, it seems daft for me to suggest him wasting his time.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If you are into cleaning the car i highly recommend investing in a das pro. Not the cheapest date in the world but its very effective without the worry of damaging the paint as you may do with say a rotary buffer.

Clay bar, meh. I prefer to use Autosmart Tardis which works well and decent value. Defiantly polish afterwards.

You can really go mad tbh, i have lots of stuff i don't use any more.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Agree that Tar Remover is a good shout.
With regards to polishing, you’re not going to achieve much by hand in terms of correction so unless you have a machine and know how to use it, I wouldn’t bother.
Polishes that appear to make a noticeable difference by hand are largely full of fillers and just masking swirls rather than correcting them.
Polishes and compounds cannot be worked properly by hand for them to have a noticeable effect imo.

With the OP being new to this kind of thing, it seems daft for me to suggest him wasting his time.

I get what you're saying BUT hand apication of say AF Tripple or AG SRP will as you say fill the marring which is better than nothing then with a coat of Reload etc will still look better then no polish/fillers at all, All in my opinion of course.

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
As a rookie, I'd recommend using this product as it makes life easier when claying (especially for a beginner) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KWP6HD6/?tag=cliospnet01-21 - you will still need to ensure lots of lube though to avoid marring.

I'd always recommend at least a polish after using a clay bar/cloth as it slightly dulls the paint sometimes. Then if you're lazy, just use a product like Autoglyms polar seal. You spray it onto the car with a jet wash attachment and wash instantly off, you then get 4-6 weeks of protection in 30 seconds!!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Why not? I use one at least once a week and always do a superb job with only taking a quarter of the time of a claybar.

Granted I use the Autosmart variant

Once a week? Please tell me you own like 26 cars?