ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Product Help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
What do you want to do? What's your budget? What have you already got?

Blackhole doesn't remove swirls, it fills them.

The Blackfire product you have linked to has polish in the title. So as a wax/sealant, you're not on to a winner ;)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
big fail by me then!

the 182 has some very light swirls and scratching on it. its only ever been waxed using Meguiars wax.

so i want to get an electric polisher and get it looking good. as for money i dont wana spend loads but im happy to buy whats needed to do the job.

all im after is advice on polish for removing or filling light swirls/scratches and then a wax to seal.

thanks

Not at all buddy, it's a learning curve, so you ask you get :)

You don't necessarily need an electric polisher buddy, so let's start with at the begining. Machines are also quite expensive (£100s).

Filling is very easy to do with products like Poorboys Blackhole and Red Moose Glaze. Super Resin Polish is almost an AIO or All in One product that could also be of use.

What colour is your car fella?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i know but i want to give it a real good polish and im lazy lol, so electric it is.

artic blue as photo <-----

poorboys is well priced so ill get that, all i need now is a decent wax to finish the car off with

ive waxed and clayed many times before so im not a complete noob. but im lacking in knowledge when it comes to actual products.

Ive read the guide in this section and its very helpful. But it would be even more helpful to list some products and what they/what they are used for.

There are a million products out there all claiming to be perfect, remove everything off paint work and give a show room finish. so can be very confusing when looking for buy products for a certain task

i know but i want to give it a real good polish and im lazy lol, so electric it is.

artic blue as photo <-----

poorboys is well priced so ill get that, all i need now is a decent wax to finish the car off with

ive waxed and clayed many times before so im not a complete noob. but im lacking in knowledge when it comes to actual products.

Ive read the guide in this section and its very helpful. But it would be even more helpful to list some products and what they/what they are used for.

There are a million products out there all claiming to be perfect, remove everything off paint work and give a show room finish. so can be very confusing when looking for buy products for a certain task

Few points. Firstly, that is not a good excuse to get a machine polisher. Secondly, I have photos and avatars turned off at work. Thirdly, there are a million and one threads like this already, Andy. So have a search. I'm out ;)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thanks!!

i give up on this forum, i have done some searching on other threads. if my post came across as rude then it wasnt suppose to be.

my comment about look at the photo <--- wasnt look at the photo you dump t**t. it was suppose to be artic blue same car as in my AV.

but hey ho im sure ill sort something out.

thanks!!

i give up on this forum, i have done some searching on other threads. if my post came across as rude then it wasnt suppose to be.

my comment about look at the photo <--- wasnt look at the photo you dump t**t. it was suppose to be artic blue same car as in my AV.

but hey ho im sure ill sort something out.

I wasn't having a go fella, as I know you weren't. But I have typed it out for at least four threads this week already, aswell as a few PMs, so you can understand my stance on doing it again. And it's only bloody Tuesday.

Wax or sealant depends on your time scales. Can you wash weekly? If so, maybe a wax like Natty's would be suitable. If not and you do a lot of miles/can't spare the time, look at a decent long lasting sealant, like Chemical Guys Blitz Spray sealant.

Polish wise, machine polishing is an art. Yes, of course it can be picked up. But if you area starting from the beginning, we might as well stop the cause of the swirls first.

I'll do you a deal, you tell me how you currently wash the car and I'll tell you what needs changing. I might even link you to products since I am currently trying so hard not to buy them myself, so it will give me something detailing related to do, but won't cost me money!!

BMW'S
Right i will help you out

In my opion these will do what blackhole will do so its your choice.

blackfire gloss enhanceing polish looks great does a great job doesnt protect.

Werkstatt strong prime theres two types i think and i have been recomended these by several pro detailers they are on polishedbliss website.

Then you have Zaino which are great you have z2,z5 which will fill and if you add zfx to it it will protect the car. Then you have zaino aio which is a all in one product that is very good. All of these give a very nice reflection and sharp look and are durable. You can get these on cleanyourcar

dont forget you get 10% off at most places.

If you buy these as the kits they come in. it should be all you need let me know wat you think if you still want wax though. I will suggest some thing.

Right i will help you out

In my opion these will do what blackhole will do so its your choice.

blackfire gloss enhanceing polish looks great does a great job doesnt protect.

Werkstatt strong prime theres two types i think and i have been recomended these by several pro detailers they are on polishedbliss website.

Then you have Zaino which are great you have z2,z5 which will fill and if you add zfx to it it will protect the car. Then you have zaino aio which is a all in one product that is very good. All of these give a very nice reflection and sharp look and are durable. You can get these on cleanyourcar

dont forget you get 10% off at most places.

If you buy these as the kits they come in. it should be all you need let me know wat you think if you still want wax though. I will suggest some thing.

Do you know what Blackhole is? And if so, why are you suggesting paint cleaners like Prime "do the same thing"? And why Prime Strong? And there are technically three types, Strong, Acryllic and Carnauba.

BMW'S
Do you know what Blackhole is? And if so, why are you suggesting paint cleaners like Prime "do the same thing"? And why Prime Strong? And there are technically three types, Strong, Acryllic and Carnauba.

Well ok blackhole isnt the same. What i was trying to get at was that if he wants it to be simple he should get them. As they will improve the cars paint and protect it if he gets the right kits. Now i know its not going to be perfect but it will make an improvement. I am asuming he washs clays etc the car before hand.

And i was aware that they was that many of the workstatt just couldnt remember them all. I just heard that the strong is good have only actually used the jett trigger stuff myself. But have used Zaino alot.

just trying to give the guy some options

Removing light swirls and scratches was the initial post.

Blackhole is a filler glaze.

Werkstat Prime is a chemical paint cleaner.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I wasn't having a go fella, as I know you weren't. But I have typed it out for at least four threads this week already, aswell as a few PMs, so you can understand my stance on doing it again. And it's only bloody Tuesday.

Wax or sealant depends on your time scales. Can you wash weekly? If so, maybe a wax like Natty's would be suitable. If not and you do a lot of miles/can't spare the time, look at a decent long lasting sealant, like Chemical Guys Blitz Spray sealant.

Polish wise, machine polishing is an art. Yes, of course it can be picked up. But if you area starting from the beginning, we might as well stop the cause of the swirls first.

I'll do you a deal, you tell me how you currently wash the car and I'll tell you what needs changing. I might even link you to products since I am currently trying so hard not to buy them myself, so it will give me something detailing related to do, but won't cost me money!!

i understand, thanks for the tips/advice.

i will google some of these products later.

i hose the car first.

i only use one bucket to wash but as ive read two should be used so im going to do that. i use a mit to wash not a sponge

i use a shammy which again ive read is wrong so im going to change to a drying towel

i have clayed the car many times, have no problem doing that and always works well.

only ever waxed the car.

the swirls are very light, generally speaking the car is pretty well looked after. the first year i owned it i waxed it 9 times in the year. sadly im only waxing once or twice a year at the moment. cleaning is not weekly but 2-3 weeks. im happy to spend 5 hours + detailing the car

Golf GT & A4 Avant
add some grit guards to the 2 bucket method is a good idea. standard grit guard can be cut down easily enough to fit standard buckets, have done so with my rinse bucket.
i4d uber drying towels are awesome for £10.
using a de tar such as AG intensive tar remover or Tardis before claying speeds up the process and removes a lot of the black spots. spray on, wait 2mins, wipe off then clay.

Bumder With A Buffer
Two grit guards are pointless. One in the rinse bucket I don't feel is.

I have never felt the need to use one. I cant see that they would do anything. The particles we are on about that cause marring are so small they will be held in suspense in the rinse bucket/solution (water) anyway. I just change my rinse bucket 2-3 times whilst cleaning. Dont even fill it up full as there is no point.

I have never felt the need to use one. I cant see that they would do anything. The particles we are on about that cause marring are so small they will be held in suspense in the rinse bucket/solution (water) anyway. I just change my rinse bucket 2-3 times whilst cleaning. Dont even fill it up full as there is no point.

You see, I would disagree even more with that point.

Bumder With A Buffer
Cant see out of them properly!! But as you said I dont need too :)

Spent 45 mins on the phone to a "foreign" engineer with BT. Its like trying to get blood out of a stone, I only wanted him to test his cabling between 2 racks of our kit..."I dont have a cable tester" WTF How can you check your work then!!

I am secretly getting more moody because I turn 30 next week :(

STEALTH RAIDER
I thought id jump in and give a hand, seen as tho JD accidentally always posts answers first ;) What exactly do you want to do with these light swirls Andy? You can either fill them with a glaze and top with a wax which will hide 90% of them, but when your wax starts running thin then you will find that the capabilities of the glaze will soon deteriorate and the paint will end up how you started unless you plan to wax it regular. Other option is to go all out and buy the proper stuff to get the job done properly. I certainly wouldnt recommend a rotary polisher as there is too much high risk of breaking clearcoat as a beginner. A DA (orbital) polisher would be good for a start but still bear in mind that this can cause damage if used incorrectly.

After considering which route you want to go down, the specific products we have personally used can then be thought about to get the result your after. As said in a previous post, the cause of the swirl markings needs over comming before you put in a lot of hard work and ends up the same as it is now within 3-6 months. Lew

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I thought id jump in and give a hand, seen as tho JD accidentally always posts answers first ;) What exactly do you want to do with these light swirls Andy? You can either fill them with a glaze and top with a wax which will hide 90% of them, but when your wax starts running thin then you will find that the capabilities of the glaze will soon deteriorate and the paint will end up how you started unless you plan to wax it regular. Other option is to go all out and buy the proper stuff to get the job done properly. I certainly wouldnt recommend a rotary polisher as there is too much high risk of breaking clearcoat as a beginner. A DA (orbital) polisher would be good for a start but still bear in mind that this can cause damage if used incorrectly.

After considering which route you want to go down, the specific products we have personally used can then be thought about to get the result your after. As said in a previous post, the cause of the swirl markings needs over comming before you put in a lot of hard work and ends up the same as it is now within 3-6 months. Lew

as the swirls as very very light im happy to fill