ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing noob needs final go ahead!!!

Black Sheep
Ok I have been asking questions and you guys have really helped me to begin to understand what detailing involves as at first I did not really understand the processes and products used but now i have a basic grasp of whats involved, sorry to anyone who has found these questions boring over time lol. I have got all my stuff for my interior and wheels ect which i have always maintained pritty decent with my autoglym stuff ect. Its the body work where i have been clueless and much of the swirls and light scratches on my otherwise great conditioned Black 2002 ph2 172 have been caused by improper washing methods including by my self:eek:. So here goes my new process before I commit to buying it all based on the info you guys have kindly went to the effort to give me. so here goes please exscuse the turtle wax zip wax shampoo I Have seven litres of the stuff and I have always enjoyed using it, or will it be dentramental to my victoria concours wax on future washes?

1. Clean wheels and dress tyres (refurb next month cause the are s*it at the mo)

2. Jet wash car to remove lose dirt ect.

3. Wash with my turtle wax zip wax using lambs wool mit and the two bucket method.

4. Rinse car off.

5. Dry with large fluffy drying towel. used to use a leather.

6. Remove any tar with Autoglym tar remover.

7. Further clean with clay bar and lube...... Which one should i get being a beginner?

8. Apply poor boys blackhole to hide my light scratches and swirling can this be done by hand or is it best to use a buffer can you acheive the same results by hand or should i invest in say an £80 variable speed machine?????

9. Wipe off with microfibre cloth.

10. Apply Victoria concours wax by hand.

11. Final wipe with a microfibre.

12. Open a beer and admire the stunning finish:cool:

Is this a decent method cheers for any input it has taken a bit of digging around and asking you guys to come up with it!!;)

Jet wash down, everywhere. Then clean wheels.

Tyre dressing should be at the end as one of the final stages, mainly due to letting the tyres dry fully to maximise the longevity of the tyre product.

Don't forget to wipe off the ITR, then rinse the car down. Then move on to claying (without drying). The reason being a; ITR will destroy the clay if not removed and b; water on the surface will aid the lubrication of the clay. As for a clay, try the Megs Quick Clay Kit. Comes with everything you need, but chuck out the Paint Cleaner.

It depends on how far you want to go with this, remembering it is a slippery slope. Yes, BH by machine is better, but perfectly acceptable via machine. I currently don't have access to my machines as they are in a cupboard in the "being refurbed" garage. So applied my glaze last week by hand (Red Moose Glaze).

Black Sheep
Cheers JD you have been a great help also cheers to everyone else who has pointed me in the right direction of products ect. When I get round to doing it all I will get some pics up before and afters. Then I will get round to renovating the headlights and getting the alloys reffurbed. It will look better than it did off the factory floor. No one will beleive it's got 85000 on the clock!!.. Hopefully.

Black Sheep
LOL! it has taken a few quid and a bit of research and questions!!!! but now I feel I have all I need to make a proper go of it about £160 altogether after binning basically all the products and methods I used before, at JD,s demand lol!:eek: But thats not bad considering i have about half the autoglym range literally!:eek: to do my interior and wheels, and all the kit I need to do for a decent job on the outside including a very good wax for my noobish hands. Just need the buffer now but will leave that to another day although I am watching a couple of bargains on ebay at the moment yet to bid. The stuff I have got will last me for a year as long as I dont get carried way. will practice on my familys cars in exchange for a few beers to see if i am any good;) and who knows might be able to make the money back come June but I will prob stick to the day job!!!!

Are you a user on detailing world ?
You will find a lot of useful info on there mate. Also make sure you buy a DA buffer.