ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Yeah, Kev, you saw mine.

Another thing, which is clearly down to over application - I'd sometimes get MFs getting stuck to the paint on removal... not stuck, but more friction than should be the case when removing a decent wax.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
IMAG1247_zpsefc19b8f.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

Girlfriend gave it to me today she found it under her bed saying 'must have fallen out your Christmas gift'

172 cup
Is there anyone in the oxfordshire area that details cars or a company that's recommended. I don't have enough time to detail my car, normally a wash and wax suffices for me but with summer approaching i'd like it to look good.

Fiesta ST200
Gonna carry out an enhancement detail on the 200 tomorrow.

Can't wait. UR is gonna look awesome under amigo and z2

Can anybody recommend a decent cutting polish & pad combo?
Ill be detailing the sunflower in a couple weeks, so I'm going to be stocking up on bits I need. All the swirls are pretty deep tbh, so want something with a good cut to get right in there straight away.
Anybody?

Also, can anybody recommend some good wheel wax?
I may need some very durable wheel wax/sealant very soon. Something that will last around 6 months. My RimWax won't cut it. Or could I even do a layer of Zaino Z2 on wheels as a base, then use the RimWax? (I only ask, as i've got shed loads of it left)
What's the AF wheel sealant like?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What hex logic pads are best to be getting? I've been using an orange and black lake county (I think) pads recently and they're just about done now so I'm after some replacements with a broader scope.

so far I have the red, yellow, green and white pads in the basket, I want the black one too but they're out of stock ATM so will these pads do?

ohh and I want a heavier compound, I've currently got the megs stuff and I like using it so which stuff would you recommend?

Audi A5
I'm after abit of advise on taping up a Clio ready to go over with a DA.

has anyone got any pictures of the Clio taped up and ready?

Any I right in thinking that the tape should sit slightly on the body work and trim. This is to stop the wax/polish etc getting down behind the trims and to prevent damage to the paint on the edges of the body work as the edges can be very thin compared to the rest?

​Anyone?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
What are the top three very best off-the shelf wax/sealants to use on my Trophy? It's going in for a proper clean up by Detail My Car and I'm after some advice from you guys, especially gally, on what works well with Capsicum.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Jaff, what car will you be polishing?

well this is in prep for a black Mercedes. But I want a wide range of compounds and pads for anything else I do.

just found the full set of hex logic pads on juicy detailing. If I have megs mirror glaze #80 #83 and if I get #85 along with the ultimate polish I should have enough scope for many cars?

I managed this yesterday with #83 on a pink lake country pad then megs ultimate polish on a black pad. But that took me ages!

image_zpsc5d1d4b7.jpg

Last edited:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
How do people rate the Auto Finesse tyre dressing?

I like it, doesnt last mega long however i clean the car weekly so applying dressing isnt hard on a weekly basis. Looks very natural when dried on one coat and can increase in gloss on coat 2 and 3.

I usually stick to two coats as its not in your face glossy but it has a nice sheen to it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What are the top three very best off-the shelf wax/sealants to use on my Trophy? It's going in for a proper clean up by Detail My Car and I'm after some advice from you guys, especially gally, on what works well with Capsicum.

Can't you get him to protect it with a ceramic sealant? It's a must imo.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Can't you get him to protect it with a ceramic sealant? It's a must imo.

Absolutely! Anything is an option, I'm just after advice on whether Crystal Rock is worth the premium over AG HD, or whether CPS Ceramishield Pro is the way forward, or any other specific products you can think of?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
CR will look immense mate. All waxes suit Capsicum.

Ceramic sealant is a must if you're having a car properly detailed. I'd want Cquartz on mine.

Even if in 6/12 months you want to wax it the sealant will still be a solid base. Protecting against swirls to a point also.

If he can't apply sealants like Cquartz I certainly would question his quality.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
If you were doing yours then, you'd use Cquartz, and would you add a coat or two of wax on top, or would you only apply wax after 6 months, almost like a top-up?

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Can someone tell me how much of the snow foam liquid I should be adding to the lance bottle on a pressure washer? The directions for use on the back of the bottle only have pictures and it doesn't state how much I should be using.

Thanks

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Can someone tell me how much of the snow foam liquid I should be adding to the lance bottle on a pressure washer? The directions for use on the back of the bottle only have pictures and it doesn't state how much I should be using.

Thanks

I normally put in around an inch of snow foam and the rest warm water. Thats using valet pro ph neautral, not sure if it differs largely between brands etc. What are you using?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you were doing yours then, you'd use Cquartz, and would you add a coat or two of wax on top, or would you only apply wax after 6 months, almost like a top-up?

Personally i'd use reload. Wax can't keep a car as clean as something like reload can. Sheeting of water also. Scary these new sealants.

A wax for me is great on Capsicum, wax has that look but you need a great base and in this day and age I want a ceramic sealant. Especially where I stay weather can be far from great!

So cquartz and reload top ups if you're bored or wax if you really must.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I normally put in around an inch of snow foam and the rest warm water. Thats using valet pro ph neautral, not sure if it differs largely between brands etc. What are you using?

I put about an inch in too but I didn't realise I had to fill the remainder on the bottle with water :)banghead:) maybe that's where I went wrong? Atm I am just using the Nilsfisk one that came with my washer

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Personally i'd use reload. Wax can't keep a car as clean as something like reload can. Sheeting of water also. Scary these new sealants.

A wax for me is great on Capsicum, wax has that look but you need a great base and in this day and age I want a ceramic sealant. Especially where I stay weather can be far from great!

So cquartz and reload top ups if you're bored or wax if you really must.
Many thanks for taking the time to advise, really appreciate your comments Kev, thanks.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No problem mate. I have an OCD thing about doing things twice. Always try if the situation is right to get it bang on the once. Having your car detailed by a pro and then choosing a wax on a non show car imo is a waste of time.

I love wax but the game has still moved on in a big way.

BMW E46 330i Touring
If I'm getting a new company car, would it be worth me applying a ceramic sealant to it upon delivery? Bearing in mind I don't want to pay any personal expense on getting it corrected or applied professionally, would the paintwork be too damaged from the delivery process to justify?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
It would probably be shiny and if a little swirly then it would be shiny swirls. If you can't be arsed polishing it then I guess it's better than nothing.

Alternative is just to use a spray wax when drying. Autoglym Aquawax or Duragloss Aquawax are both excellent. Enough protection for a fortnight and the car doesn't have to be bone dry to use them.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Aye, I'm not going to dedicate any of my own cash on keeping it nice as it won't be worth it and I've not got the technique to polish it myself unfortunately (I've tried...).

I currently use Werkstat Acrylic and Z6 on the Beemer which does nicely but am tempted to get it properly sealed on arrival so it'll be far less work whilst I've got it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Imo Ads yes. If anyone I know took delivery of a new car i'd recommend it, BUT and it's a big but. The car will seriously stay much cleaner for longer and be so easy to clean but if you're not going to even get it lightly polished is there much point?

In saying that the car won't be too bad to the discernible eye so worthwhile looking into CQUK if you're doing it yourself. Even maybe a hand polish with P1 and a tri-foam app to nip out any marks before sealing for the next 12+ months.