ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Britemax Vantage for me, i've gone off HD after using it for longer now, it'll last longer but not as nice to use and won't look like vantage.

If you want a bit of looks and durability Bilt Hamber Finis wax is a bit of a king. Can but a small 50ml pot alos.

I just love Vantage, if it was made by someone else in a different pot it would cost 3 times as much!
+1 Vantage is an awesome wax for the price!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That a paste wax Gally?
Yeah I suppose you could call it that mate.

britemax_vantage_wax_test_tub_001.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Vantage is very nice to use but I wouldn't buy it unless it's reduced from the £40 RRP. A little more and you can get yourself a pot of zymol carbon and very much worth the extra.

A little less and something like bouncers 22, Chemical guys petes 53 and Victoria wax concourse and collectors are worth a look

Clio 172
Bilt hamber finis or double speed waxes are good for durability

Odk glamour, zymol Glasur and bouncers satsuma rock are the best 3 I've found for looks and I've got/had a fair collection

Towel I use auto finesse, used probably 10/15 brands and it's the only one I've kept going back to

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of an awkward post here. I have an okay detailing collection, the main issue is that it's probably 6 years old now, I haven't washed my Clio in roughly that time...

Anyway, I've bought a new car recently (only a Passat, for the wife) and I want to keep it looking good, so I dug out my cleaning bits. Essentially I need to replace most of it! So, I'm asking you guys to compile a bit of a shopping list for me, so that I can get my collection back on its feet again...

I own a DAS-6, but I'll need new pads as the ones I owned are fucked, I think they're Lake Country. I'll need a wax/glaze for a light coloured car, most of the kit I used to have (Poorboy's Black Hole, for example!) is for my BG 182, so aimed at dark paint. List me everything from Snow Foam onwards, in terms of price, I'm not fussed about top end, but want it to be decent. Mid-road, let's say :)

Cheers in advance!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Hexlogic pads, research which 2 or 3 would suit you
Menzerna polishes, pretty cheap and good quality
Collinite is a hard wearing wax and might be up your street

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bit of an awkward post here. I have an okay detailing collection, the main issue is that it's probably 6 years old now, I haven't washed my Clio in roughly that time...

Anyway, I've bought a new car recently (only a Passat, for the wife) and I want to keep it looking good, so I dug out my cleaning bits. Essentially I need to replace most of it! So, I'm asking you guys to compile a bit of a shopping list for me, so that I can get my collection back on its feet again...

I own a DAS-6, but I'll need new pads as the ones I owned are fucked, I think they're Lake Country. I'll need a wax/glaze for a light coloured car, most of the kit I used to have (Poorboy's Black Hole, for example!) is for my BG 182, so aimed at dark paint. List me everything from Snow Foam onwards, in terms of price, I'm not fussed about top end, but want it to be decent. Mid-road, let's say :)

Cheers in advance!

When I went to town on it, I polished it with G1, SRP and then waxed it with Zymol Carbon. Looked f**king awesome.

If you're not one for much cleaning though, I recommend polishing it with the DA and then give it a good coat of Hydr02. Makes car washing for the next 6 months a piece of piss!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I don't mind car cleaning tbh, so I'm happy to give it a once over, not sure why I put off cleaning the 182 for so long! I used to love detailing it.

Will give all these suggestions a look, when I last bought cleaning bits, AutoFinesse weren't even selling stuff that I remember! So I'm a bit out of touch with it all now.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Hexlogic pads, research which 2 or 3 would suit you
Menzerna polishes, pretty cheap and good quality
Collinite is a hard wearing wax and might be up your street
I got a few bottles of the Menzerna polishes with the DA I bought, I haven't opened them to see how well they've lasted though. I also had a tin of Collinite, it was so rusted that the wax had started to fall out the bottom of the tin!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Haha jeez! Just start with cheap stuff mate. It'll be good enough for what you're after to begin with. Then just build up stuff as you go.

Used to be a product called 'waxybox' which sent out small samples of new polishes and waxes. I found that was the best way to get to know products and see what you like. I don't know if there is anything similar available just now

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't mind car cleaning tbh, so I'm happy to give it a once over, not sure why I put off cleaning the 182 for so long! I used to love detailing it.

Will give all these suggestions a look, when I last bought cleaning bits, AutoFinesse weren't even selling stuff that I remember! So I'm a bit out of touch with it all now.
I've got loads of cleaning bits left over from work.

You have spurred me to photograph it all and sell it. It's doing nothing in the garage!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Looking to take my wheels of next weekend and seal with C5.

Recommended cleaning procedure and products before hand?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Wash wheels as you normally would. Degrease. Tar remover. Iron remover. Wash again. Polish if you see fit with any kind of abrasive polish. Wipe down several times with panel wipe/IPA etc to remover any oils and residue.

Reactions: RDH
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Enough for 18" wheels fronts backs and inner barrels and some left over to coat your exhaust tips and maybe a few other little spots.

When you first apply it you'll think you need to apply more than you really need. You may not see it but it spreads incredibly well

Reactions: RDH

DB.

BMW 440i
Hi all,

Just pulled the trigger on a brand new BMW 440i Coupe and in the frustrating yet exciting period of waiting for it to arrive, I thought i'd top up my kit.

Having never bothered with sealant before, just polishing then waxing, would you be able to recommend a good sealant for hand application?

My process (correct me if I'm wrong!) would be the following on collection.

Wash (Meg Gold Shampoo)
Light Hand Polish (Clearkote Hand Glaze)
Sealant (Recommendations?)
Wax (Collinite 476)

Also, could the sealant be used on the alloys? I have run out of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

Any product suggestions to replace my current ones or process corrections greatly appreciated!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hi all,

Just pulled the trigger on a brand new BMW 440i Coupe and in the frustrating yet exciting period of waiting for it to arrive, I thought i'd top up my kit.

Having never bothered with sealant before, just polishing then waxing, would you be able to recommend a good sealant for hand application?

My process (correct me if I'm wrong!) would be the following on collection.

Wash (Meg Gold Shampoo)
Light Hand Polish (Clearkote Hand Glaze)
Sealant (Recommendations?)
Wax (Collinite 476)

Also, could the sealant be used on the alloys? I have run out of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

Any product suggestions to replace my current ones or process corrections greatly appreciated!

Although it shouldn't need it being a new car, I'd recommend decontaminating too

Pre wash
Rinse
Wash
Rinse
De tar
Rinse
De iron
Rinse
Wash
Rinse

Then pat dry and look out for any marks/scratches/defects before considering polishing. The less you rub/touch the paint, the better.

Af tough coat is a fairly easy to apply and durable sealant. It seems to last alright on wheels too.

Someone will be along to suggest dedicated paint and wheel sealants though.

And you don't need to seal and then wax, it's a bit overkill and if the sealant doesn't last as long as the wax, the sealant will kill off the wax prematurely when it dies off.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Not being a dick but are you buying the car or leasing? If buying I'd probably cough up the money and get a pro to give it a new car protection detail.. Wheels off and sealed, paint and glass etc.
Guessing the bmw is a hefty sum so a few hundred getting it detailed at the start would be my advice.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Clay Mitts, what we saying? I've got some Bilt Hamber clay in the garage but the mitts look so much easier.