ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I like the autoglym hd one.

I'm going to Halfords Tomo to pick some bits up before work.

Trade card.

Srp. £11 litre, second one half price.
Hd shampoo the same.
G3 supergloss wax. £16.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
What's that shop that sells own brand detailing products and usually does 3 for 2 deals? Not EZ car care the one that actually gets decent reviews?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Recommendations on a half decent wet n dry hoover for the home?.

The titan one is nearly for bin, didn't really rate it and the durability was imo poor. Tempted to just grab a Charles as we have one in work and they last forever and ours goes through the mill.

Other suggestions welcomed:)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
@Ay Ay Ron

This should be the attachment for you lance

View attachment 1636453
Tight fit to get on but it's night and day compared to what you get with the jetwash. Cheers for the advice.
Had some Polar blast sonusef that. Seemed ok.
IMG_20230404_113458.jpg

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Recommendations on a half decent wet n dry hoover for the home?.

The titan one is nearly for bin, didn't really rate it and the durability was imo poor. Tempted to just grab a Charles as we have one in work and they last forever and ours goes through the mill.

Other suggestions welcomed:)
I have a George mate. Henry's cousin? 🤣

The thing gets put through the f**king ringer. Ive used it for all sorts and its decent.

Suction isnt perfect (lol) but it does the job, just leaves whatever youre doing a little damp. But thats okay for me!

Id recommend one

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Grabbed a karcher WD2 plus thing from Argos on the way home, seems decent. I forgot we have an industrial type hoover for spillages lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Has anyone used this? It seems too good to be true?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Not applied if myself but had it done on my last car excellent product great finish and lasts years with hood maintenance would have it again without hesitation if that helps .

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

Yup it's really good. I didnt top it up fr a year.
I've got a bottle if you wanted to coat a car with one?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
You went to go have a look at an EP3 for me in 2010.

I only used a 1/3 bottle on an X5. So there's plenty left.

I will also weight it pre and post your usage. Forever indebted to me.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
If buying new @Daniel , id go with SiRamik Lustrous Plus. Recently bought a bottle off detailingworld and its insane so far. Lots of reports of it lasting 12+ months.

Not the most mindblowing beading but self cleaning and staying power are reported to be very very good. Ive had it on for ~4 weeks and its been battered by salt the last few days. Foam, rinse and it looks clean!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Well managed to snap this today. Probably being a bit careless but it's had 5 years use so can't complain too much. Are the EZ ones still the best to get?

20230416_104016.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looking to get a DAS-6 Pro or the DAS-6 v2 in the near future, having never used a DA before any help is much appreciated as im a total beginner. The machine is likely to only going to be used a few times a year in honesty, however I don’t mind paying extra for the Pro if its worth it.

In regards to pads and compounds etc, whats the best in your opinion for a beginner? Again I have no issue paying abit more if its a quality product that will last and also how long do the pads last? I assume they can be reused to a degree? Other than waxing and sealing the cars we are initially looking to remove some light swirl marks from my wifes car (Honda pearlescent paint if it makes a difference) along with a couple of light scratches on mine (BMW paint).

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Get the pro. I have the latest one and was superb.

It was the pro plus

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Looking to get a DAS-6 Pro or the DAS-6 v2 in the near future, having never used a DA before any help is much appreciated as im a total beginner. The machine is likely to only going to be used a few times a year in honesty, however I don’t mind paying extra for the Pro if its worth it.

In regards to pads and compounds etc, whats the best in your opinion for a beginner? Again I have no issue paying abit more if its a quality product that will last and also how long do the pads last? I assume they can be reused to a degree? Other than waxing and sealing the cars we are initially looking to remove some light swirl marks from my wifes car (Honda pearlescent paint if it makes a difference) along with a couple of light scratches on mine (BMW paint).
As @imprezaworks has commented on machines, ill follow up with the latter part.

For a beginner, Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish will probably be all you'll need. Theyre decent, not too expensive and do the job well. Prepare to need to spend quite a bit on pads. I used the Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads for ages. Recently found some Lake County pads for half the price but I cant really comment too much on those as I only used their finishing pads.

Pads last a fair while, but only if youre gentle with them. The general rule of thumb is 1 pad per panel of the car - more for the roof and bonnet. This is before they need cleaning out, or swapping, as they become clogged with polish. I managed to do my entire 140 with 2 pads, but cleaning them out a lot became tiresome!

Onto the paint: Honda and BMW have almost polar opposites in regards to paint hardness (Depending on the age of the cars). Generally, Honda paint is soft and BMW paint very hard. @Gally might be better equipped to answer more specifically as my polishing experience is limited to about 4 brands/cars. For example though, the Tesla I ceramic coated recently had incredibly soft paint. My 140 has absolute concrete paint and I have to use a Microfibre pad to make any real progress.

Shout which age/models you have and someone might be able to help!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
As @imprezaworks has commented on machines, ill follow up with the latter part.

For a beginner, Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish will probably be all you'll need. Theyre decent, not too expensive and do the job well. Prepare to need to spend quite a bit on pads. I used the Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads for ages. Recently found some Lake County pads for half the price but I cant really comment too much on those as I only used their finishing pads.

Pads last a fair while, but only if youre gentle with them. The general rule of thumb is 1 pad per panel of the car - more for the roof and bonnet. This is before they need cleaning out, or swapping, as they become clogged with polish. I managed to do my entire 140 with 2 pads, but cleaning them out a lot became tiresome!

Onto the paint: Honda and BMW have almost polar opposites in regards to paint hardness (Depending on the age of the cars). Generally, Honda paint is soft and BMW paint very hard. @Gally might be better equipped to answer more specifically as my polishing experience is limited to about 4 brands/cars. For example though, the Tesla I ceramic coated recently had incredibly soft paint. My 140 has absolute concrete paint and I have to use a Microfibre pad to make any real progress.

Shout which age/models you have and someone might be able to help!
Can't really add anymore to that, practice always makes perfect.

I do like Sonax Perfect finish and a decent pad to go with it, espeically if you are starting out, works really well and you won't feel you are wasting your time, no matter how hard the paint is, you will make a decent difference.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cheers guys, appreciated.
I find the Meguires microfibre pad and Meguires ultimate compound is more than enough for someone wanting to make their paint nice. You won’t chase out all the defects but it’s an idiot proof combo that gives good results.
I’m actually doing a car with it tomorrow so I’ll post some pics and you can judge for yourself.

I clean my pad (with an airline) every half a panel.

martynrg

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Can anyone recommend a hose upgrade for my Karcher K4, please?

The standard hose is dreadful and forever coils up.

I’ve seen a few on Direct Hoses. Are they worth buying?

Cheers (y)

Reactions: riz

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I find the Meguires microfibre pad and Meguires ultimate compound is more than enough for someone wanting to make their paint nice. You won’t chase out all the defects but it’s an idiot proof combo that gives good results.
I’m actually doing a car with it tomorrow so I’ll post some pics and you can judge for yourself.

I clean my pad (with an airline) every half a panel.
See by here isn’t it.

IMG_7017.jpeg
IMG_7018.jpeg

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
What's the best way to clean out a DA pad without an air line, or is compressed air of some sort really the only way to go? Can't imagine using the washing machine will be well received :ROFLMAO: . Hand wash them?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Can anyone recommend a hose upgrade for my Karcher K4, please?

The standard hose is dreadful and forever coils up.

I’ve seen a few on Direct Hoses. Are they worth buying?

Cheers (y)

I got from in2detailing, a worthwhile upgrade

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone upgraded to a Rupes polisher from a cheaper das pro etc and been blown away how much better it is?.

I've had various polishers and currently have a cheap das pro style (850w) which is decent enough. Always wanted a rupes and someone is selling a mk3 (2 years old) with pads and polishes, in excellent condition apparently. Its £350 so not a cheap date so wondered if anyone has one etc.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone upgraded to a Rupes polisher from a cheaper das pro etc and been blown away how much better it is?.

I've had various polishers and currently have a cheap das pro style (850w) which is decent enough. Always wanted a rupes and someone is selling a mk3 (2 years old) with pads and polishes, in excellent condition apparently. Its £350 so not a cheap date so wondered if anyone has one etc.

Mk2 here, hard to say how much better they are. It's more of the feel/quality.

Plus the throw of 15 or 21 is nice, which one is it you're looking at?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
What one step polish is recommended? Car I'm due to pick up is going to need a full going over (it's clean as it is but dealer prep and a tad swirly) so I'm looking at a one step before panel wipe and a ceramic coating

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What one step polish is recommended? Car I'm due to pick up is going to need a full going over (it's clean as it is but dealer prep and a tad swirly) so I'm looking at a one step before panel wipe and a ceramic coating

I'm new to polishing and I used schol s20 and it was really easy to use