ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I do about three big cleans a year, strip everything off, polish and reprotect. Then maintenance washes in between.

for that mileage I think you'd get away with doing it before and after winter.

I was hoping I'd get away with once a year and a top up every few months lol.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
When contaminants start to bond to the paint as the wax begins to fail. If you're regularly waxing and the surface remains nice and clean then there will be little need

if it's well protected there will be less bonded contaminants, so in theory a wipe down with a tar remover, re wash then straight to rejuvenate and desire again. Claying should only need to be done once a year

Sweet, cheers mate.

When shall I repeat the full clay, rejuvenate, wax process?

My car is always garaged and does around 5k-6k per year.

No worries

You only want to clay the car when it's necessary. In around six months time give the car a wash and when it's still wet run your hands all over the panels. If they still feel very smooth and you can't feel any contaminants then there's no need to clay.

Because you do very little mileage you may even find you won't need to clay again for another year or so. You want to avoid claying if possible.

Give the car a once over with rejuvenate and two layers of desire every six months. I usually give my car a light polish and wax just before winter and just before summer. That way your car is protected for winter and looking it's best for the summer

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is it easier/better to buff wax with a moist microfiber?

I want to make sure that once I've applied the second coat of Desire tonight I'm not left with any smears (I've spotted a few this morning after applying the first coat).

I have some AF Finale and Megs QD in the garage but wasn't sure if wiping the car with a QD after waxing would be a good idea.

Is AutoBrite snow foam known to be quite thin? Or am I doing something wrong? Any tips to make it a bit thicker and cling a bit better?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Is AutoBrite snow foam known to be quite thin? Or am I doing something wrong? Any tips to make it a bit thicker and cling a bit better?

What dilution are you using in the bottle? Also, adjust the flow knob on the lance fully both ways and see which is thickest.

Yeah I've been using the manual adjuster thing.

Ratio wise I'm not sure, it's the Autobrite lance and a few cm in the bottom of the bottle.

I use the AB stuff (with their lance too), and its REALLY thick (posted a pic up a few days ago), id say put more in (I put 3-4cm roughly), and then as above adjust the flow rate so its mostly just foam! It's so thick in fact I need to adjust mine down, trying to jetwash it off the drive is a real pain (if you leave it in big pools it literally just sits there for days lol).

I end up doing the whole car, and the wheels twice, and usually have a little left over I just go over the car again with from a full bottle.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Does anyone do/has anyone done any dealership work?

been browsing through dw and some of the cars are great, but how do you even approach a dealership and say 'can I clean that car but charge you more than that Iranian bloke in the back"?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've done a bit for Bristol Audi as I'm good friends with someone that works there. That was my foot in the door.

But they have been using the same 'detailer' for a number of years so I'm not expecting to get reliable income from them any time soon.

Just bare in mind they'll want you to be insured! They won't just let you work on a £50k car willy nilly! Lol

Did you put up a thread about doing dealer work? If so it's probably because your not a paying trader or some b****cks like that.

They love the rules over on dw

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Did you put up a thread about doing dealer work? If so it's probably because your not a paying trader or some b****cks like that.

They love the rules over on dw

Nope, I just posted my threads from here asking for c&c as I've had an account in there for a while but never really used it often.

No advertising, no offering to do it for anyone, just asking for c&c and sharing my write ups.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, I just posted my threads from here asking for c&c as I've had an account in there for a while but never really used it often.

No advertising, no offering to do it for anyone, just asking for c&c and sharing my write ups.

I posted a write up a while ago, in the correct section, 2 days later it disappeared without a trace!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
They can be very hit and miss with their processing of orders. Seems to have improved over past years though but Toby seemed to get the worst service out of us all

I've never had a problem with them, admittedly I've only used them a handful of times, but each time has been spot on.

Not a 320d
Its only really delivery time thats the problem. Ive dealt with them for years but They are a bunch of lazy c***s now.

Elite car care is the only site I order from now. VP Sponge, BTBM, SONAX QD and Megs Tyre s**t. All I need. then they have anything else I need for the yearly polish.

But they have always always got stuff out to me asap. Ive ordered Friday and received Saturday on normal delivery and ordered late afternoon and received next morning. They have also been very helpful.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Ill be buying some more citrus power, AF spot pads, TARdis and ironx soon... Where can I get 85mm/3" backing pads for DA (5/16" 24 thread)?

And can anyone recommend anything for me which I've not used? I know it's vague but I feel like I want to buy something lol

can fk1000p be used on metal as well as alloys? And is it's all it's cracked up to be or is there a better product which is as versatile?

I posted a write up a while ago, in the correct section, 2 days later it disappeared without a trace!

It really puts you off putting up with the forum doesn't it.

I don't know why but I can't get on with it.

Not a 320d
Ill be buying some more citrus power, AF spot pads, TARdis and ironx soon... Where can I get 85mm/3" backing pads for DA (5/16" 24 thread)?

And can anyone recommend anything for me which I've not used? I know it's vague but I feel like I want to buy something lol

can fk1000p be used on metal as well as alloys? And is it's all it's cracked up to be or is there a better product which is as versatile?

It really puts you off putting up with the forum doesn't it.

I don't know why but I can't get on with it.

FK1000p? Its good mate if youve already got it. Can be used on anything except plastic trim and I wouldnt use it on glass. Metal is fine like suspension struts - Ive done those with FK1000p before...... But I never thought it was that amazing or durable. Just did my caravan with it last week following a machine polish but as I do with everything I topped it with Sonax BSD.

Whats that Japanese wax thats all the rave currently? Beads like buggery and is piss cheap a bit like FK1000p in a tin. Id sooner look at that.

DW can f**k off. Bunch of massive bell ends on that forum. Some disgusting **** gobbling and brown nosing going on.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
FK1000p? Its good mate if youve already got it. Can be used on anything except plastic trim and I wouldnt use it on glass. Metal is fine like suspension struts - Ive done those with FK1000p before...... But I never thought it was that amazing or durable. Just did my caravan with it last week following a machine polish but as I do with everything I topped it with Sonax BSD.

Whats that Japanese wax thats all the rave currently? Beads like buggery and is piss cheap a bit like FK1000p in a tin. Id sooner look at that.

DW can f**k off. Bunch of massive bell ends on that forum. Some disgusting **** gobbling and brown nosing going on.

Cheers, the reason I considered it was to seal wheels and make exhausts easier to clean.

Ive heard about that japwax, 12 months durability isn't it?

I dont want fk1000p as a lsp, it's purely for wheels and to make exhausts easy to clean

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cheers, the reason I considered it was to seal wheels and make exhausts easier to clean.

Ive heard about that japwax, 12 months durability isn't it?

I dont want fk1000p as a lsp, it's purely for wheels and to make exhausts easy to clean

I've found the most amazing wheel sealant! I'll put a link up when I'm on the computer later.