ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Whats the best product for sealing chrome exhausts? Can i use a standard wax?

I bought this.

20140127_174239_zpsc78e599c.jpg

Ive used it on my exhaust and the heat shields.

gex23 there's an application video on YouTube. Search for autoobsessed. In the video he completely saturates the roof and it looks pretty easy to use.

Mini JCW
Search YouTube for
Applying GTechniq l1 smart fabric.

GTechniq have their own application video's

Yeah watched that earlier - says to leave to dry for several hours to ensure no moisture left - the complete opposite of the earlier advice!

Wish i'd not let my gear run down so much - got a basket amounting to £250 on CYC - and that's just basics.

What do people use for cleaining the interior? I.e dash plastics, half leather/alcantara seats, carpets?

Ive got afew scuffmarks & dirty patches all over.

Ive seen AF Total & Spritz, is there any others people reccomend?

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
Yeah watched that earlier - says to leave to dry for several hours to ensure no moisture left - the complete opposite of the earlier advice!

Wish i'd not let my gear run down so much - got a basket amounting to £250 on CYC - and that's just basics.
i ment what jack-c said needs 2 be dry but use plenty of product!!

Sounds like a Costco card will come in handy.

I was using the ones out of the waxy boxes and a few I had left laying around but its time to restock.

If you've not for one I'll take you if you like (can't remember if you said you had one or not)

Cheers mate.

After hearing people talk about the meat etc it be worth me getting my own in the long run, I'll pop down at the weekend see what they say about a card.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Cheers mate.

After hearing people talk about the meat etc it be worth me getting my own in the long run, I'll pop down at the weekend see what they say about a card.

Keep me posted, I had trouble getting one but I don't think you should have a problem given your job, the meat is awesome... And good luck spending less than £100 per trip when you get a card lol

oh, I've not forgotten about your canvas, I'm just struggling to find one the same size.

I'd be very happy with that, what pads/polish did you use?

And are those RDS remaining (expected being a van)

Thanks!

Orange, green & black hex pad, with Menz PF2400 and Menz SF4500.

Yeah they're was and still are quite a few of them. The PF2400 didn't seem aggressive enough to shift them, however it took it steady as apparently Vauxhall paint is rather thin!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks!

Orange, green & black hex pad, with Menz PF2400 and Menz SF4500.

Yeah they're was and still are quite a few of them. The PF2400 didn't seem aggressive enough to shift them, however it took it steady as apparently Vauxhall paint is rather thin!

Orange is cutting, green is polishing and black is finishing, right?

Going to have to get some of those and the polish come pay day.

Clio MK3
Fancy a go at some polish...Af tripple 3 or autoglym super resin polish? Just going to put this on, doesn't need a sealant does it as I'm happy for it to last two months if do before needing a top up.

Both as good as each other really so whatever one takes your fancy.

I would recommend a sealant tho. The protection from srp or tripple really won't last long at all especially if this weather keeps up. Something like srp or tripple topped with c2v3, reload or sonax bsd will be spot on and applying a sealant like these literally takes seconds plus your car will stay cleaner for longer due to having proper protection on there.

Clio MK3
Have you used both, if so what's your favourite? Okay think I might seal it then, could you link the me the ones you mentioned please? :)

Yeah I own both and the sealants I mentioned.

It's hard to say which one I prefer because they both do exactly the same thing. I like them both the same really but srp can be bought from Amazon for £10 for 1 litre and tripple is about £6 for 250ml so srp is better value for money.

Sonax

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detai...brilliant-shine-detailer-750ml/prod_1178.html

Reload
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=783

C2v3

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1040

All three sealants are very easy to use but when you think how much bsd you are getting for the money compared to the other two it's a bit of a bargain really.

Clio MK3
Brilliant thanks for linking them really appreciate it! Think I might go srp as it would last longer for the money, what's best to apply the srp? I have a few microfibre clothes will they do? And what about applying the sealants?

No worries

Srp is a good choice. It's still a good product and used by many after all these years.

Apply the srp with either a foam or microfibre applicator. I personally prefer microfibre applicator but it's personal preference.

With the sealants mist one spray per panel or a couple of sprays for the larger panels and simply spread it around with your microfibre cloth. Flip the cloth over to buff away any residue. They really are so easy to use and you'll be able to seal your whole car in less than 5 minutes.

Just worth mentioning Sonax bsd, reload and various applicators can be bought from Amazon with free postage so shop around so you don't spend too much on postage.

Clio MK3
That was just the information I was after, I'll get srp and a sealant ordered soon then! Thanks for the tip I'll have a look to combine postage. Thank you for helping me it was just the information I wanted :)

Mini JCW
How do you guys clean your drying towels?

I have a CG wooly mammoth drying towel, which worked fine for the first few times but now really struggles to pick up any water, it just spreads it around?

I've seen non biological liquid sachets / tablets recommended or a specific MF wash additive?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I actually stopped washing my drying towels so to speak. I rinse them at times but no longer wash them. I actually prefer them air drying whilst retaining some dampness.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
See how you get on with non-bio liquid gel / sachets, make sure there isn't any fabric conditioner in it. Put a few tablespoons of white vinegar in the rinse cycle too.

Boiling the cloth in water with a little white vinegar can help to revive it