ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser solenoid

clio 172
Hi guys, how can i chek dephaser solenoid? I replaced dephaser pulley 2 months ago, after that everything was ok, but now the feeling that it does not work. I measured the voltage across the valve plug, as i know there must be 12v, but they are not even when the engine is warm.
Whether this means that there is no signal at the solenoid? There is no some noises, but the engine does not run smoothly and increased consumption of gasoline. Nothing happens when disconnecting the plug, the engine works the same way.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
the solenoid wont be active until above 1600rpm i dont think so doubt you will see any signal there until the ecu calls for a phase shift. Its more likely you timed it all up wrong after changing the dephaser

Clio 182
It's rare to have oil solenoids fail, best way to check it to to unplug it and measure the resistance across the terminals - nothing would show a fault and most oil solenoids have a resistance under 50Ohms [not sure about the Renault one, maybe someone else can chime in].
Renault specifically say to degrease the insides of the pulleys and the ends of the cams/crank to ensure they don't slip over time. IF that wasn't done during your belt change it's possible the timing could have slipped.

You can put 12v on the terminals, will make a click noise if its working.
Only held in with one bolt so not a lot of work or if you've got a rs tuner you can cycle it on the test menu. i can hear the noise in the car.

clio 172
Solenoid is working, it clicks when i connect 12v. I have connected to solenoid jack 12v led, and install it in the car. After that i rode about 50km, led doesnot turned on. it means that there was not 12v.

clio 172
It's rare to have oil solenoids fail, best way to check it to to unplug it and measure the resistance across the terminals - nothing would show a fault and most oil solenoids have a resistance under 50Ohms [not sure about the Renault one, maybe someone else can chime in].
Renault specifically say to degrease the insides of the pulleys and the ends of the cams/crank to ensure they don't slip over time. IF that wasn't done during your belt change it's possible the timing could have slipped.
You wont say that timing is wrong? But car but starts and goes without problems, only dropped the engine power, increased consumption and the engine does not work smoothly.

Solenoid is working, it clicks when i connect 12v. I have connected to solenoid jack 12v led, and install it in the car. After that i rode about 50km, led doesnot turned on. it means that there was not 12v.
Do a continuity test of the wiring from the solenoid plug to the ecu pin out if its ok run 12v though it with a high wattage car bulb

Clio 182
You wont say that timing is wrong? But car but starts and goes without problems, only dropped the engine power, increased consumption and the engine does not work smoothly.

I'm saying that the timing could be wrong (and likely is) but if you want to check the solenoid that is how you should go about it.