ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser/Emissions

Clio 172
I recently brung my clio 172 over the germany and due to the job im in the vehicle needs to be registered in germany, problem is its just had its emissions test and failed (German emission test must be strict as it Passed british emission test), im pretty sure the dephaser needs changed so thinking this may be the cause, anybody got a clue if the dephaser would cause this? The bloke in the garage was banging on about the Lambda sensor but he's no qualified mechanic (Just some bloke taught to carry out a basic MOT) and theres no dash lights on and fuel consumption is fine.Any advice would be appreciated (If its no quick fix then theres going to be a cheap clio for sale as i need it gone fast once i get it back into england.Cheers.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
I'd be looking at the Lambda sensor too tbh, and a damn site cheaper than a dephaser pulley!
On an MOT here they check the actual lambda reading against what its reading on the probe, so if its similar in germany he may well be right on the money?? The lambda may have got a little lazy with age rather than stopping working completely?
And you dont allways get a light on the dash when mine was fubar there were no lights on the dash
Did you try taking it out just before the test, getting the cat very hot and trying again as a hot cat works better than a cold one?

When the dephaser is knackered it normally sounds like a diesel on tickover too.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
both the dephaser if it's very bad, and the lambda could be causing your issue. Diagnostic plug in will tell you more

Clio 172
Cheers for the reply lads, think I just noticed the problem which if correct highlights my point about the guy being a f*** wit, just been reading through the emissions print out and he some the test with the car at 28 degree's, so he tested it cold, spoke to a mate who is a UK tester and he said ideal should be 80 degrees minimum 60. All the target values are the same as uk so I'm getting a second test tomorrow before I go and play holy war!

thanks again