ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dent removal on bonnet

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
So I got a nice big juicy dent on my bonnet, courtesy of mr cyclist deciding he wants to cross the road right infront of me in the rain.
Any ideas on how to remove it? With the bonnet being double skinned, can't really get any tools of any significance in from the bottom to push it out that way....unless there's another way to get in?
Contrary, are there any tiny little sucker things that could be used to pull it out? Couldn't use the large ones that I have as they couldn't get a good enough seal around the edges to stick to the bonnet.
Picture attached
Thanks in advance! :blush:

Attachments

• MuCw3Fl.jpg
    MuCw3Fl.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 294
  renault clio 1.4 16v
there are small suction cup dent pullers available although they seem pretty elusive in my country, ive seen hectic dents removed by them bt i dont seem to be able to get it right, the usual way is to weld a rod or a few rods in ur case on top of the dent and use a slide hammer to pull the dent out... obviously that would mean a respray of that area if not the whole bonet...

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
That's not a smart repair that... it's a fill and respray job.

S4 Avant
Could get lucky and find a replacement bonnet in that colour.
For gods sake don't fill that dent.

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
hahaha yeah no way am I gonna fill it! sorry GiT ;) Have been trawling eBay, but with the damn paint code that it is (NV901) it's like finding a needle in a haystack. must be cheaper to find a replacement than getting it pulled and resprayed?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Without wanting to state the obvious . Have you rung any PDR guys in your area ? It'll only cost a few mins of your time and they'll tell you roughly over the phone if it's possible to remove or not .

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Without wanting to state the obvious . Have you rung any PDR guys in your area ? It'll only cost a few mins of your time and they'll tell you roughly over the phone if it's possible to remove or not .
:innocent: It's only obvious when you know these companies exist! Learn something new everyday, eh! 🙈

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
any half decent pdr guy will get that out no problem.
hmmm interesting....all of the guys I saw said that it would have to be a respray jobbie. I'll have a look a bit further afield I think, get some more quotes from others

dan's cast offs.
hmmm interesting....all of the guys I saw said that it would have to be a respray jobbie. I'll have a look a bit further afield I think, get some more quotes from others

did you go to bodyshops though? chances are most of them will say that to get the work from you.

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
I found a bonnet on eBay about 6 months ago, but let it go because I didn't have the money at the time. Today, I got a response on eBay saying that they still have the bonnet in stock so I phoned them up and went and ordered it to be delivered to me! He said he's been breaking Renaults for 40 years and it's only the 2nd ever bonnet he's had in that colour so is very rare! 2-3 working day delivery and a perfect bonnet for £95...bit more than I wanted to pay but am hoping to sell the current one as either sold as seen or for scrap value....how much do ya'll think I'll get for it?

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
new bonnet delivered and fitted, pretty sure it's been resprayed so will be following this up with the seller! :rage:
but (because nothing ever goes the way you want) the bonnet closed but doesnt open.....f**k. Seeing step brother whos a mechanic on Monday so will get a better look at it once it's on the ramps....anybody got any ideas? The cable hasn't snapped, but when i pull the lever in the car the bonnet doesn't pop up. I can just about reach the thing you pull back on the bonnet but (unsurprisingly) doesnt work. Tried pushing down and pulling up whilst somebody else is pulling the lever but nope...no success :down:

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
You may have screwed it on incorrect.
Couple of mm off and it won't pop up.

Mine won't after I took it off and put it back

S4 Avant
Yup that's what I'm thinking it is. Any ideas on how to get it to pop up? 😧

Get some one to hold the bonnet release handle up while you lift the bonnet up manually. That normally forces it to pop.

Alternatively if you have no one around... get a bit of rope with a loop in it (no joke, I used to have to do this) loop it around the bonnet release catch and then pull it tight, wrapping the other end around the wing mirror with the door open to keep the catch held up. Then you can pop the bonnet up yourself with the bonnet catch released.

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Get some one to hold the bonnet release handle up while you lift the bonnet up manually. That normally forces it to pop.

Alternatively if you have no one around... get a bit of rope with a loop in it (no joke, I used to have to do this) loop it around the bonnet release catch and then pull it tight, wrapping the other end around the wing mirror with the door open to keep the catch held up. Then you can pop the bonnet up yourself with the bonnet catch released.
Tried all of the above. I didn't pull up too hard though, didn't want to do more damage than good!

When you pull the bonnet release catch, does it pop up into the first position i.e. enough to get your fingers in there? If so, try spraying a shed load of plus gas (wd40) around the release mechanism. Once you get the bonnet open, dry off the excess wd40 and apply grease to the springs & catches (not the 't' shaped plastic puller). If all else fails consider refitting the release gubbins (not sure if that's a real word?) from your old bonnet. Also probably worth inspecting the main spring just beneath the slam panel & greasing that too.. Just my 10 pence worth. I'm new to Renaults but had similar issues with other motors :wink:

Just read all the replies, Ignore the first sentence of my reply.. Push a flat head screw driver just beneath the 'puller' (between the bonnet & slam panel) press it against the catch while you push down on the bonnet.. tah dah!

Last edited:
  Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Done it! :smile: Not quite sure how though hahaha, but we managed to pop it up and fix it on straight 🙈
When we pull the lever, it doesn't pop up straight away you have to lift it a little and it'll pop up; we decided to leave it like that rather than try and fiddle with it more!
Cheers for all your help guys, much appreciated! Now to get some wax on it....

Done it! :smile: Not quite sure how though hahaha, but we managed to pop it up and fix it on straight 🙈
When we pull the lever, it doesn't pop up straight away you have to lift it a little and it'll pop up; we decided to leave it like that rather than try and fiddle with it more!
Cheers for all your help guys, much appreciated! Now to get some wax on it....

Well done! glad it's sorted but I would seriously consider taking it to a reputable MOT test centre and asking an examiner to have a look at it, just to be on the safe side.

You don't want your bonnet flying open when your doing 70 down the m-way!

Not saying that to 'scare monger' just think it would be a wise idea & peace of mind too.

Of course this might sound a little over cautious but having worked as a Paramedic for 13 years, I've seen stranger things happen ;)

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Well done! glad it's sorted but I would seriously consider taking it to a reputable MOT test centre and asking an examiner to have a look at it, just to be on the safe side.

You don't want your bonnet flying open when your doing 70 down the m-way!

Not saying that to 'scare monger' just think it would be a wise idea & peace of mind too.

Of course this might sound a little over cautious but having worked as a Paramedic for 13 years, I've seen stranger things happen :wink:
have tested it all out on the ramps and both me and mechanic are happy that it's securely in place...his clio bonnet has flown up on him so he knows what he's looking for now! so have been there done that, many thanks for the advice though Steve! :grinning: Can imagine many people wouldn't think to do that. We also made sure the catch was perfect, as it should be, even though it was tested by a Renault dealership less than 3 months ago...can never be too safe when it comes to the Clio's bonnet....