ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dell 24" widescreen lcd (2407 wfp) - recommendation

Monaro VXR
I've seen some £1000 lcd tv's and im convinced my £600 hyundai one has a better picture quality. Same panel in my tv also gets sold in other tv's that are upwards of £1200.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Look guys i'm not going to waste time arguing with you anymore, it's like i said, its our experience with dell. If you don't want to believe me thats fine i dont' mind. i guess we're all guilty of not listening to people about poor quality products which is why we all own renaults. it's your money so make up your own minds.

At the end of the day, ras - re-read my post, we buy plenty of 'high-end' stuff too. mainly the top spec laptops. certinaly bought a few of those screens in my time here too.

as for the tv's, my mate works for sony yes, but to be fair to him he's not selling me sony tv's he's a mate. Is in close touch with the r&d dept as he has to be for his job (marketing)...the tv he owns is a sony because he gets it all free. he actually recommended me a different brand on my tv buying adventures due to price constraints etc. he's about as knowledgeable as most gurus out there as he has to be for the job.

thats the end of my dicussions on this, i've formed my opinion on my experiences and what i've heard, i suggest you guys do the same.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
oh i had to comment on that, the sony X series is awesome!! proper 1080p! not seen many with those capabilities, saw one in a sony centre, wicked, for a smooth £4k too.

Revels Mum & Sister
How many Dell TFT's high end ones like we are talking back have you sent back faulty. And because u encountered a faulty product that makes it crap? Thats all I am getting at.

Are xbox 360's s**t because some failed, are EVERY car Manufacture s**t because all there cars break down. You see where I am going.

The Dell panels, Samsung panels are regarding as some of the best for Computing use REGARLDESS of fault rates which arent high!

Revels Mum & Sister
I was not arguing with the fact that a lot of Dell equipment is poor but you get what you pay for. We see a LOT of cheaper Dell systems through the workshop at work. Usually just after a year. But more recently newer systems.

ras exactly its not their fault. you could blame them if they were using poor quality parts but they arnt maybe their outsourced manufacturing partners are shite who knows if your that bothered tell dell im sure they would love to hear you moan

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
products are not simply the sum of their parts though. and the number of recalls we've had is significant enough to warrant what i'm saying, believe me we've already spoken to them. i'll leave it to you guys

yes but what you dont seem to grasp is dell doesnt make the products someone else does dell pays them to make the things for them dell doesnt have manufacturing plants

I think we are losing sight of the original point. The 24" panel in question is a blinding machine. If it's anything like my 20.1" version then it will perform superbly. Regradless of a blanket 'Dell are s**t' argument. It's a Samsung panel, with electronics and a backlight that are considered better than other machines using the same panel. If one were to decide against buying a high end Dell TFT based on an a misconception that they are "s**t", then one would be losing out on a brilliant screen.

ff 182
had my dell for 3 years now it's been great no problems what so ever,uesd for gameing and films and it's one of the old e17lcd monitors.got asus al1916w wide screen now ,but if i had the money for a new dell i would have one with out doubt...

Fabia vRS
i'd just like to add, the viewing angle on this thing is what has impressed me.

my old 19" widescreen acer panel would get dark and blur if you were standing up and didn't adjust the angle of it, this dell you can stand, sit, lay down, stand on your head, etc, and it just doesn't need any adjustment.

i am gonna download some 1080i stuff and see what this screen makes of it.

^^Yeah the viewing angles are superb on my pants 20" version. The brightness is also superb. I spend 99% of my surfing and general computing using this 17" widescreen laptop, which has a great screen in its own right, but when I use TheBeast2 I am always surprised by the brightness and sheer scale of the Dell panel.

It's a games machine, and it serves it's purpose superbly at 1680x1050 with insane detail levels and great contrast. David clearly has not used one of these screens in a game. Granted a CRT will be smoother, but the Dell screens are about as good as it gets for the price :)

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
David said:
oh i had to comment on that, the sony X series is awesome!! proper 1080p! not seen many with those capabilities, saw one in a sony centre, wicked, for a smooth £4k too.

My dad bought the 52" one of those a couple of weeks ago, it is absolutely unbeleivable, sooo big and the picture quality is orgasmic.

Fabia vRS
Roy Munson said:
^^Yeah the viewing angles are superb on my pants 20" version. The brightness is also superb. I spend 99% of my surfing and general computing using this 17" widescreen laptop, which has a great screen in its own right, but when I use TheBeast2 I am always surprised by the brightness and sheer scale of the Dell panel.

It's a games machine, and it serves it's purpose superbly at 1680x1050 with insane detail levels and great contrast. David clearly has not used one of these screens in a game. Granted a CRT will be smoother, but the Dell screens are about as good as it gets for the price :)

tbh 20" would have probably been more than enough, this 24" does look insanely large, especially sitting this close to it. only reason i really went for the 24" is cos it's in my bedroom and i watch movies on it, so a big screen made sense if i wanted to watch movies from my bed. the cardreader and component inputs that the 20" also doesn't have kinda swayed me a little.

JamesRT said:
My dad bought the 52" one of those a couple of weeks ago, it is absolutely unbeleivable, sooo big and the picture quality is orgasmic.

no he didnt they dont do a 52" x only a 46" and a 40" x

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv had a samsung 19" for years and its been perfect.

we also have many samsung 21" at work that have been there for 4 years plus with barely a single problem.

samsung make some of the best monitors, so if dell is samsung rebranded id buy! :D

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
My home PC screen :) only problem is i now squint at the 17" work ones now lol
Philips 37" 1080i in picture;
DSC00116.gif

Fabia vRS
miltage2 said:
Microsoft Vista?? Whats that then?

it's shite, that's what it is.

i had the latest version on my machine for a day and removed it i disliked it that much.