ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Deleting old Windows installation in Vista

Suzuki SV650
I've got some old Windows XP folders (Prog Files & the main Windows folders) sitting on my hard drive that just won't f**k off. They are set to read only, and they won't delete! I've renamed the files and stuff but I can't change the attributes. UAC is off, and I've tried doing this in safe mode, but they won't budge. I must have admin privilages as I don't have different user accounts/logons as its my home pc...

Searched around on Google and it said that the Disk CleanUp tool would show Windows XP as an old installation and I'd be able to rid of it that way but it doesn't show up.

I tried something in DOS (command.com) but that didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas? Its taking up a few gb that I could do with!

Stevo.

Suzuki SV650
Dammit that means buying an external HD and doing a proper back up :'(

ps wher in oz are you? wish i were back there.

Clio 182 Cup
I always run two seperate hard drives and store all my stuff on the non operating system drive therefore if anything messes up with windows you can just do a format and fresh install on the drive and you always still have your other stuff on the other drive.

best bet is to get another internal 'slave' drive and put all your stuff on that..tehre cheap now too

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Unfortunatly the simple answer is to re-format.

You could do it, but it wouldnt be worth the time and effort.

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Get a external HDD it will be better in the long run, if anything did go wrong with your operating system drive all your stuff is still backed up

Audi TT 225
Burn everything you wanna keep onto a dvd or two? much cheeper than buying an external hd...

Clio 182 Cup
Be careful though as to which Vista you have....and also make sure you have your xp disc handy cos if you reformat and you dont have the correct version of vista you may not be able to install it without xp being onyour system...if that at all makes sense