ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decision made....i think

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
for anybody thats been following my recent happenings and investigations with cars will know what i have been thinking of doing / looking at and that my 172 was up for sale.

after it being up for sale for around 3-4 weeks and having absolutely zip interest this weekend was going to be d-day and i was going to be putting it on autotrader tonight, this also co-insides with looking at a toyota glanza this morning to get an idea for what i was going to buy.

this is how it went.

met TomS (part of old school cs) at gordano services and went to look at the glanza in clevedon.

the glanza i was going to look at i knew was not going to be "the" car but i was going to look at it for a general idea about the cars themselves.

the result (as some have advised) being that its a nice quick car, sounds awesome etc etc, handled well too, however the interior (the bit i would be leaving in ie..dashboard) was terrible and well dated, something i don't think i could live with. this is all running through my head with how much money they are, i am getting alot less car for the money / car i currently own.

so on that note, and slight sensibility i think glanza's are off the list, (must say also that the one i looked at was a dog...lol.....and he wanted way to much for it...dreamer)

so the plan....

me and tom then went to the mall to discuss my situation, and concluded.... the only other car i would have is a mark 1 clio, hybrid or willy, however the main worry about these is rott and high mileage, so these have been cancelled out. leaving me with one option, this has brewed at the back of my mind all the way through these past few weeks....

looks like the 172 will be staying...however will be changing very much in the near future. i want a more raw experience, so......the interior will be sold, as will the standard suspension. the car will be stripped and lowered on coilovers, the car is mint mechanically and paintwork wise so thats good and it is also on low miles so i think it may be the right decision, not like people want to buy mint standard 172's anyway....

thoughts and comments welcome

cheers neil

sounds good mate! I know how you must have been feeling as I am in similar situation to you at the moment and I was about to link you to the thread but I see you have jsut posted in it lol

Vee dub
Glad you've come to a decision mate - think you're doing the right thing...

Look forward to seeing the progress now.

Good mini meet too! as always

Tom

I think you are probably right, will depend on finding the right car for the right money. Need to sort some stuff out regards getting rid of my punto now

BMW E46 330i Touring
Sounds like you've been very sensible and rational with the decision dude, I think changing the car to a more raw, experiential one will certainly make you enjoy driving it more than you have thus far.

And, as much as you had convinced yourself that the Clio had to go, I don't think the Glanza was the right choice for a replacement.

Your budget could get a fantastic condition Willy though mate? I suppose maintenance costs would rocket though.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like you've been very sensible and rational with the decision dude, I think changing the car to a more raw, experiential one will certainly make you enjoy driving it more than you have thus far.

And, as much as you had convinced yourself that the Clio had to go, I don't think the Glanza was the right choice for a replacement.

Your budget could get a fantastic condition Willy though mate? I suppose maintenance costs would rocket though.

have thought about a willy mate or a hybrid but although they may be mint they are now on silly miles, otherwise i t would be my choice..

ads, could you pm me any info on your old caf's please, am thinking about leaving the fogs out and having them as intakes...cheers bud

106 GTi
I am quite shocked by your decision as some of your previous posts showed no love for it. Hope the mods make it a car your happy with. I often look back through rose tinted glasses at my old Pug GTi's but know getting another would only be a let down.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yer i know how you mean rich.....but i think i have to treat it as a totally different car, and thats exactly how i feel about the valvers etc as you do with the pugs

not really jamie...looked through trader and it seemed right for standard of car and mileage....

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The only reason I said is I have been looking at ph2 172s latley and for 4.5 you can get an 02 plate with 40k on them.

Good choice. I must have seen 3-4 starlets since your thread and after seeing them up close IMO they are a crock of pische. Too old and dated imo.

Make sure you start a project thread!

Octavia vRS tfsi
Forgot to check back in the other thread! It was pointless me talking about the Glanza untill you had driven one yourself! So I shut up and let you make your own judgement!

Personally, I think it's the right choice given the two cars in question. I think had the Glanza been a Cupra etc. that wouldn't have been a bad change!

Looking forard to seeing how the car progresses!:)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
when speaking to tom today he was saying about the ibiza cupra but the thing is for a good one of those...ie low miles etc etc it is more than i can do £££ wise. i liked the feeling of the glanza, just the interior.....and i was going to stirp half of that

Octavia vRS tfsi
All this action to the 172 though, would the money that you're planning on spending on it be better off saved for a month or two and then put that towards a Cupra?

Vee dub
Stick with the 172 matey...... Cupra's are nice like I said, but you know clio's well and I reckon it'll be sweet!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
All this action to the 172 though, would the money that you're planning on spending on it be better off saved for a month or two and then put that towards a Cupra?

currently i have 2 sets of wheels, 1 is sold and the other can be sold to make way for some lightweight wheels.

interior would be sold and buckets purchased

the only thing that will significantly cost is the coilovers

also have money from various other bits i have sold prior to trying to sell the 172.

i see your point but for what i would want it is alot of difference for a cupra from the 172 £££ wise

Stick with the 172 matey...... Cupra's are nice like I said, but you know clio's well and I reckon it'll be sweet!

tom also makes a good point, i know the cars well and have a good group of helpful friends that also help with repairs etc

spose i could maybe do the calendar trev

Clio
I've read most of your should I shouldn't I threads mate and I really got the feeling you didn't want the 172, not sounding bad but I really hope chucking your money at the 172 isn't the last resort, cause it could work out expensive in the long run if you still don't want to keep it.

172 Race Car
^ the man makes a very good point. maybe you should think about it for awhile before spending any big money on it.

Come to the airfield and have a go in mine, wont have the coilovers on it just yet tho

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
think i may come along, probably won't run mine but will be coming anyways, i need to sort some wheels out before then really. thats would be spot on.

either keep the f1's and get them refurbed or sell the f1's and get some lightweight 15's

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Glanzas are a one trick pony - easy straight line power. Nothing else going for them IMHO - they look shite, they handle shite, the interiors are shite and saying "I drive a Toyota Starlet" is even worse than "I drive a Renault Clio" :)

Yea, I don't like them that much ;) Good call on keeping the 172 :p

Dan

Clio 172 mk2
Told you Startlets were bad...the japs were never good at doing interiors, still aren't (apart from Honda Civic)

sdaf
if your stipping it out then whats the fuss with the interior? ah well when i get mine running properly you can come for a drive and ill show you what 250bhp per tonne feels like because you aint guna get that in a clio