ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat / CAF pulled out of airbox

clio 182FF
Hi everyone,

so previously had a decat on my 182 as well as the caf pipe pulled off the air box trick. couldn't believe the noise difference this made actually. Anyway while the car was that state i swear it used to struggle once it got past 6k revs or so. Now my cat is back on and i thought i might as well put the caf feed back onto the airbox also. The car seems to now pull strong.

Now what im asking is this:

1) Am i imagining things?? (seems strange as most people tink there car is faster with the decat at least due to the added noise and possible "free" exhaust gases

2) Its worse with decat or CAF pipe off- if so any explanations?

Any insight much appreciated, like i said could me just being silly and noticing it now while in 2nd gear instead of 3rd or something maybe. ie the car will always pull better past 6k in 2nd rather than 3rd...

Oh and also im mainly asking as im thinking of getting the ktec induction kit purely for the noise but i would prefer it to not do this if i am not imagining things, so on that note if anyone has any experience of that it would also be great. Reviews and details seem to make out it gains power but im still somewhat sceptical on that, i just want the noise and no loss of power lol

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
The CAF won't have an effect, it may alter 1 or 2 bhp max.

The decat normally will loose a little at lower revs but gains a bit up higher revs, so at a guess id probably say it's nothing to loose sleep over mate :)

2014 Clio 200t edc
Why did you remove te decat? I'm looking at fitting one, but don't want to ruin stuff.

clio 182FF
Why did you remove te decat? I'm looking at fitting one, but don't want to ruin stuff.

Ok thanks russ! And J6 I removed the decay because I had a certain emissions test to pass ;)

Not sure if I will put it back on yet though. Makes a great noise but I personally found it to he boomy at times. Especially going up hills where you give it a bit of extra throttle for not as much speed! I like a nice noise but don't want to sound all boy racer!

This was with a k tec janspeed exhaust with the silencer also if you were wondering.

So I might put it back. Not sure yet. As said awesome noise but it's a hassle for when the test comes again and also it does annoy me a little at times.

Fiesta ST-3
I found quite the opposite with a decat... just had one fitted and it seems to rev and pull much better. Much more than I had hoped tbh!

I ran with the CAF removal jobby for about a month and found it running quite poor so I put it back in.

clio 182FF
I found quite the opposite with a decat... just had one fitted and it seems to rev and pull much better. Much more than I had hoped tbh!

I ran with the CAF removal jobby for about a month and found it running quite poor so I put it back in.

Yeh i think it could be the CAF removal that may be the problem here, might try re fitting the decat at some point and leaving the CAF in. Im surprised it makes any difference how the CAF is though. I personally just unclipped the feed but left it just an inch from the box still so you would think it would still suck in most of the cool air??