ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Debating Coilovers....Help !!!

BMW 330ci
Basically as the title says, I am thinking of coilovers, I shouldn't be as I've spent enough on the car, and tbh I'm happy with it. But just wanna know how much people paid for their coilovers, and how much they paid to get them fitted professionally...or if you fitted them yourself, was it easy. Or should I perhaps get some springs ???

This is my car btw, so you can get an idea of if it needs lowering or if its ok :D

5805436563_ddd5f36945.jpg

BMW 330ci
Get springs. IMHO Coilovers are OTT on your car.

i know yeah, but most people get springs and wish they got coilovers :\, also you can adjust coilovers so you dont actually need them that low. Would you say I even need anything ?

COILOVERS

186 pounds :)

done it myself

followed the guide on here - piece of piss

did you really :), was it easy, did you use many tools ?

Depends which set you get and whatever the seller asks really. Just keep checking the 'for sale' section for a set :)

172 Cup
Just paid 470 for ap's. Really good bit of kit. Cheaper version of kw v1s. My mate fitted them for free he reckons they are easy to fit as long as you have an ounce of knowledge...which I don't lol

Very easy to fit, have fitted springs and coilovers on my drive.
But if you don't have basics such as socket set, spanners, jacks etc I'd take it to a garage.
I read the guide on here, its very easy to follow.

Go for coilovers imo.

Listerine & Poledo
if you insist on throwing your money at the car then yes, go coilovers.

and remember to declare them on insurance

BMW 330ci
Just paid 470 for ap's. Really good bit of kit. Cheaper version of kw v1s. My mate fitted them for free he reckons they are easy to fit as long as you have an ounce of knowledge...which I don't lol

oo wicked, tbh i dont think i would pay that much for a set :\ looking for the cheaper option haha just so they look good tbh :D but good to know they are easy to fit.

Very easy to fit, have fitted springs and coilovers on my drive.
But if you don't have basics such as socket set, spanners, jacks etc I'd take it to a garage.
I read the guide on here, its very easy to follow.

Go for coilovers imo.

cool sounds pretty easy and i think i would. Do you know if there is a guide for fitting springs ?

if you insist on throwing your money at the car then yes, go coilovers.

and remember to declare them on insurance

and do you not think that is the best option, would you say 40mm springs are better ?

Listerine & Poledo
why take it coilovers give pretty crap ride ?

Well, not neccesarily,but if you want to run pointlessly low without running on bump-stops, something's got to absorb the bumps.
When you've got 5mm of suspension travel left that just leaves the tyre sidewalls and the car itself.

BMW 330ci
lol true, I was just thinking of 40mm, just enough to close the arch gap dont want it ridiculously low, and i wouldnt be able to move anywhere lol.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
my coilovers aren't too bad, yes a bit bumpy on bad roads but on a normal smooth road they are fine

BMW 330ci
my coilovers aren't too bad, yes a bit bumpy on bad roads but on a normal smooth road they are fine

dunno if i really wanna splash out on coilovers, just wondering if springs will close the arch gap and will look a bit low, 40mm springs btw.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
well coilovers arent much more expensive and you can get the ride height spot on, with springs there is no adjustability so if they are not low enough you have wasted your money but the ride comfort will be better than coilovers but firmer than stock. your decision really adjustability vs. price/ride comfort

BMW 330ci
well coilovers arent much more expensive and you can get the ride height spot on, with springs there is no adjustability so if they are not low enough you have wasted your money but the ride comfort will be better than coilovers but firmer than stock. your decision really adjustability vs. price/ride comfort
hmmm think I just might leave it for a while, and maybe think and save money :\, unless some springs come up cheap lol. I can get some 40mm for £40.

coilovers can be comfier than some shitty springs...

hmmm so much choice lol

172 Cup
Just ran outside to get a pic of mine so you can get an idea of the ride height I'm currently running. apologies for the rubbish bags in the pic lol

aaf021dd.jpg

It's not stupidly low but looks loads better. I was running sportlines before and these feel way better. Feels like a different car now

MK3 GTI golf 16v
coilovers can be comfier than some shitty springs...

this. even some expensive springs have crap ride, my coilovers are comfier than alot of cars ive been in on springs.....granted one has buckets but ignore that

IMG_9453.jpg

thats my ride height, around a 65mm drop give or take, its sat perfect on the arches and the ride is fine

BMW 330ci
Thanks both of you guys for the pic. Both cars look awesome !! Just gonna give it a think and save some money lol

MK3 GTI golf 16v
best bet will definatly be second hand either way mate, new is too expensive. look for second hand coilovers over springs and you wont regret it, having adjust-ability is sooo much better than putting springs on and not being low enough because that would be really annoying

172 Cup
You can get those raceland coilys cheap brand new can't ya? Sure they are only like £200 and come with warranty

BMW 330ci
think thats what im going to do tbh, just wait and MAYBE get some coilovers lol. i really like the look of yours Clancy, looks really nice. what wheels are they ?

I think there's a huge variance of ride quality through the coilover brands. Same as with lowering spring brands.
So I don't think you can group all coilovers as feeling the same in terms of comfort and ride quality, and better than lowering springs.

BMW 330ci
true say, i suppose the more you pay the better they are. So if i were to buy the raceland ones for £180 the ride quality wouldnt be that good :\

MK3 GTI golf 16v
from what people say the ride quality on racelands isnt great but isnt as bad as you would think, as you said you get what you pay for.

expensive spring will probably be better than cheap coilivers, but its whether you want lows or comfort for your money, need to chose what you prefer or spend a little more basicly.

and my alloys are 15" HRS something or other

MK3 GTI golf 16v
my APs are fairly stiff, not to bad. and personally i prefer the ride now than standard. standards to soft and bouncy etc etc. get coilovers mate ;) either second hand or some raceland ones

BMW 330ci
lol, think I gonna have to save up. I just dont wanna buy some and then fit them, and have them low and realise I cant actually get anywhere because of bumps, potholes etc. Because then I will have to raise it and wouldve been easier to buy springs lol.