ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dealer has damaged car...

I'm after a bit of advice if you will.

I had a leaking headlamp washer on my 182 which i gathered from other threads on here was a relatively common problem.
I contacted the garage i bought the car from and, after initally denying that clios had headlamp washers, (its a vauxhall garage rather than a renault one) eventually agreed to replace the leaky one under warrantly, which they did yesterday.

I'd been told to take a couple of pics of the car as you drop it off just in case anything happens so i grabbed a couple on my phone and left the car with them.
Apparantly it takes all day to change a headlamp washer (this puzzled me) so i had to hire a courtesy car (at my cost) to get about for the day.

By the time the car was ready it was dark but i decided to have a quick look at see if i could notice anything out of the ordinary, mainly checking to see if they had kerbed the alloys or put excessive miles on it.
Everything look all right until i looked at the washer they replaced.

There is deep, thick scratches on the headlamp cover right through the plastic. And lots of them. Further, the paint work around the washer has been hacked away by some sort of tool.
My first thought was that perhaps a shaved chimp was masquerading as a mechanic and my second was what am i going to do about this.
The scratches look at if maybe they had difficulty getting the washer off and had to use some sort of tool which has scraped the light and damaged the paint. However i have no idea what changing a washer involves so i may be totally wrong.

Here's a couple of poor quality pics from my phone to try and show you what i'm describing:

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

The pictures really do not do it justice, the damage to the headlamp is horrendous during the day and even worse at night when the lamp is switched on. The damage to the paint is not as bad but is really noticeable even at a distance from the car.

I'm really angry because i had the whole car dent-mastered only a couple of months ago to take out a couple of stonechips and a carpark "door opening on it" dent so the bodywork was in pristine condition, as new condition when it went into the garage.

I spoke to the woman who deals with the service complaints and she initally she tried the whole "Oh, so you've moved the car," line. (it was parked in a dark corner of the car park so i moved it under a floodlight to inspect)

Then she produced a report that the mechanic had filled in that states that they noticed the headlamp was damaged before they started work on the car. (?)
I can only assume that the mechanic has falsified this report to cover up the damage because there can be no other explanation.

I showed her the pictures i had taken and she said, "well maybe a car hit it in the carpark, it did sit for sometime before the mechanics took it."
She was however unable to explain how a car hitting it could cause multiple deep scratches. But refused to accept it was a tool marking as apparantly i was jumping to wild conclusions.

She said that because the mechanic who worked on the car and the service manager had gone home, there was nothing she could do and my only option was to take the car away and she would call me this morning.

I'm still waiting for the call. I've phoned but she is "unavailble for calls".

Therefore i was wondering what you guys would recommend?

She's got a report that states the headlamp was damaged before the worked on but i do have the pictures.

Where do i go from here?

All help appreciated.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Go as high up the food chain as you can, thats ridiculous!! Don't do it over the phone without backing it up with written correspondence. Thats why I always do a walk around with a member of staff before handing the keys over.

Chelsea tractor
Surely they are insured against any damage occuring on their property?

Last edited:

Owen

ClioSport Admin
I would go back to the garage, and not leave until I got compensation/they admitted fault and agree to fix it.
That is appalling damage. Lucky you took photos, at least you can use them to counter their 'clean inspection' report.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
They're having a laugh causing that kind of damage, trying to take the washer jet off.

You should probably go as high up as you can with the complaint.

BMW bus
Go as high up the food chain as you can, thats ridiculous!! Don't do it over the phone without backing it up with written correspondence. Thats why I always do a walk around with a member of staff before handing the keys over.

Yep, go straight to the top, its the only way they will take any notice of you.

I've had similar problems in the past, the person you need to speak to is always mysteriously in a meeting or unavailable to take your call.

Find out the name of the managing director and demand to speak to him - that usually does the trick.

Fcuking does my head in the way some garages think they can treat paying customers:mad:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
well the bottom pic is pretty dam obvious they have damaged it, they removed the washer jet with a pic axe by the looks of things

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
how the hell did they manage so many scratches?! :S

absolutely gutted for you mate, i would kick off big time and not rest until they have sorted it out!

this sort of customer service/level of care makes me sick, if i ever work on someone elses car i always make sure i take extreme care not to damage/mark it in any way, if anything im more heavy handed with my own cars :rolleyes:

Cupra
It almost looks like dog claw marks.

And you only have to undo a nut on the other side of the bumper and the thing falls off! Must have been one of these working on your car:

muppet_movie_cast.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
i work for a dealer mate and the advise i can give if it helps is refuse to speak to anyone but the dealer princable/brand manager,explain politly how you took pictures before and the state after and how the damage was caused at the garage

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
i work for a dealer mate and the advise i can give if it helps is refuse to speak to anyone but the dealer princable/brand manager,explain politly how you took pictures before and the state after and how the damage was caused at the garage

Start off calm & polite.

Otherwise you may get nowhere!

Print photos from phone as that way they can't delete them;)

If it's a national dealership threaten to go to the top!

ALWAYS, ALWAYS have a member of the service deparment do a walk round with you when you drop it off, and have them mark anything down on one of those sheets.

I refuse to leave my car until they've done that.

I would suggest the "monkey" who worked on your car was a bit thick and thought scratching the headlight magically made the washer fall off. He's obviously put that the damage was already there to cover his ass and will most probably lie to the manager anyway.

I hope you have a date and time on the photos you took, and they also show the car outside the garage!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As said literally go in and demand to speak to someone senior, and just don't leave, start putting of customers in there, talking loudly about how bad the customer service is and how they have damaged you car, really make a fuss.

As said literally go in and demand to speak to someone senior, and just don't leave, start putting of customers in there, talking loudly about how bad the customer service is and how they have damaged you car, really make a fuss.

No, be polite, stay calm.

Shouting in the showroom etc will just get the police called I'd imagine, and you'll not get anywhere.

Ultra Red Megane 225
^^^^^

agreed
stay calm
ask nicely to talk to someone senior
they will listen to you if you talk politely but assertively

failing that a letter or e-mail is good, as you can include pictures

looks to me like the old jet has been removed with a hacksaw or something.

54 astravan 1.7tdci
wow.im shocked.theres something seriously amiss if a mechanic did that.prehaps it was a work experiance person who they thought they'd give an easy job to.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Luckily the photos do have a time and date on the file and you can clearly see the garage in them so there is no disputing that they were taken as the car was dropped off.

Update: The Girl who deals with the service complaints at Arnold Clark has just called me....

She's spoken with the mechanic and he is adamant that the car was brought in to the work area with the damage already on it. Thats why he marked it on the form! (ffs, he marked it on the form to cover himself after he'd destroyed the light!).

In light of what he says the dealership are confident that the damage was not caused by their mechanic. (Can you believe this?)

Instead they are putting it down to an accident in the car park which could have been caused by anyone passing through...

So, as they are covered by an insurance policy for accidents in the car park they are going to replace the driver's headlamp.

I asked about the damage to the paintwork and she said they have a dents and scratch guy on site so when it goes in for them to replace the headlamp they'll have him take care of the scratches.

So: They are repairing the damage. Result.
BUT: They are claiming it was an accident in the car park, when it is blatently clear it was down to their negligence and their incompetent staff.

Meaning: they don't have to spend a penny and instead let their insurance company foot the bill.

I'm obviously happy that everything is going to get fixed at no cost to myself, but the complete lack of any acceptance of responsibility or even an apology is a bit of a kick in the face.

I've told her i'll bring the car in to have the headlamp fitted and she's going to contact me once they have ordered one from their Renault branch. But, i'm wondering whether i should email her the pics, as she has only seen them on the car in the dark last night and point out to her that the damage clearly looks to have occured while someone was working on the car rather than a member of the public.
However, maybe i should just shut up, not cause a fuss and be happy that they are replacing it and not risk them washing their hands of the whole thing when the think they can't get it all neatly tied up courtesy of their insurance company.

What would you do?

Thanks again.

Was this Parks of Hamilton in East Kilbride matey??

No mate, Parks in EK were actually excellent when i had my last car, anything needed was done with no fuss, and importantly, no damage.

This is Arnold Clark Vauxhall at Linwood, Paisley.
Not exactly local, but they were the only dealership with a mint 182 with low miles, hence why i bought from them and not parks.
Won't be going near them again tho......:S

Mini Cooper S sport
That's shocking, can't believe they did that..

At least you're getting it repaired but that's not really the point.

If it was me then I wouldn't want to kick up any more of a fuss until the damage has been fixed. Just be glad they're repairing it and if it makes you feel better write a letter to the managing director afterwards with all the evidence and tell them how appalled you are at their incompetence and lack of responsibilty.

Make sure they know neither you or anyone you know will ever go there for work

Make sure you take plenty of pics before it goes back in again though!

Main dealers are the worst places for care and service.

ST
Was this Parks of Hamilton in East Kilbride matey??

No mate, Parks in EK were actually excellent when i had my last car, anything needed was done with no fuss, and importantly, no damage.

This is Arnold Clark Vauxhall at Linwood, Paisley.
Not exactly local, but they were the only dealership with a mint 182 with low miles, hence why i bought from them and not parks.
Won't be going near them again tho......:S

Ah pisser matey..

Yeah i was gonna say Parks in EK are usually pretty good when it comes to servicing and stuff..

Speak to the dealer manager as said mate, things like this happen far too often!!

B

Brown.

Do you have a police friend?? go to the dealer and threaten criminal charges...it works, trust me!

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
This is quite shocking. I have had problems with a dealer before when having some warranty work done.

Plodwyn

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
That is totally out of order. Get the persons name who worked on the car show the evidence before and after and deal with the Managering Director only.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
Looks like drill with a long bit like a builders foot long one like they were trying to enlarge the hole. but why? aclio comes to bits with a screw driver and elbow greese. mind you its arnold clark so i wouldnt rule out

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
gutted for yuo Davey but I can't believe you went to Arnold Clark - it takes something like this to make you stay away (I've been there).

Can Trading Standards or consumer direct not help

08454040506 (Consumer Direct)