ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead spot in steering?

Since I got my tracking done a few days ago ive been having a weird problem with turning left. The wheel is dead center when driving in a straight line but after i take a left bend the wheel seems to return to a slightly wonky angle.

Its a bit hard to explain but its like having a dead spot in the steering from the wheel being exactly straight and it being turned around 20 degrees to the left.

So it ends up going something like this:
Driving in a straight line... steering wheel is dead center
Take sharpish left turn then drive straight again.. steering wheel is in the position below

photo3.jpg

The wheel will only return to the proper position when i take a right hand turn and straighten up again.

Im going to go back to the place to get them to redo it when i get back down there other end of the country unfortunately so i wont be there for a few weeks. Anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

sad.gif

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds to me like your steering rack mount bushes are knackered, so when you are steering it one way the rack moves that way, then when you steer it the other way it moves back to where it was when they tracked it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its a bit of a pain in the arse TBH, took me about an hour in the end just cause of how fiddly it is and cause I wasnt doing it on a ramp.

They are about 50 quid for the bushes as well rather painfully.

Come to think of it the car has a "polybushed front end" according to the lad i bought it off. Perhaps one of them has worn out on me. I presume theyre the same thing?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No, he will be refering to the wishbones not the steering rack, polyflex dont make the rack ones.

Ah i see. Cheers for your help mate would have been faffing around for ages otherwise.

Amazing cars by the way :p