ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-rusting

"Nissan" Sunny 1.6 16v
Firstly Hi all :clown:

I just bought a Clio RT 1.4 and it has a bit of rust on the arches, don't blame it being 14 years old :)

Just wondering how should I do it
sand it down with rough sandpaper
then fine wet and dry?
then primer it

Any advice appreciated :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Anth1234 said:
Firstly Hi all :clown:

I just bought a Clio RT 1.4 and it has a bit of rust on the arches, don't blame it being 14 years old :)

Just wondering how should I do it
sand it down with rough sandpaper
then fine wet and dry?
then primer it

Any advice appreciated :)

You need to stop the rust from coming back . Is it bad enough it needs filling ?
You can get this to paint on before you ,fill or prime it kills rust .

MrBillyUK !

Attachments

• LOCTITE RUST REMEDY.jpg
    LOCTITE RUST REMEDY.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 34
those remedies are only temporary, to do it properly all the affected metal needs removing, putting that stuff over rust will not cure it

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
182_blue said:
those remedies are only temporary, to do it properly all the affected metal needs removing, putting that stuff over rust will not cure it

I've used this stuff loads of times , wrought iron gates , fences etc ... paint it on , paint over it , rust never came back .
But i agree if the rusts that bad , it will need cutting out if its only surface rust this stuffs good enough for me .

MrBillyUK

106 GTi
Most car arches rust inside to out so its more than just surface rust, there is where the problem lies.

MRBILLYUK said:
I've used this stuff loads of times , wrought iron gates , fences etc ... paint it on , paint over it , rust never came back .
But i agree if the rusts that bad , it will need cutting out if its only surface rust this stuffs good enough for me .

MrBillyUK

a gate is slightly different to a car panel though, have you ever tried it on rust on a car panel ?, ps if its surface rust then there is no need for that stuff as you just take the rust of and its no longer there , but im guessing his problem is a bit more deep seated than that, believe me and the best way is to remove the metal of grind it back till its gone, if it coming from the inside then it needs new metal putting in (or new wing) to cure it properly

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
182_blue said:
a gate is slightly different to a car panel though, have you ever tried it on rust on a car panel ?, ps if its surface rust then there is no need for that stuff as you just take the rust of and its no longer there , but im guessing his problem is a bit more deep seated than that, believe me and the best way is to remove the metal of grind it back till its gone, if it coming from the inside then it needs new metal putting in (or new wing) to cure it properly

I've never had a rusty car mate so i wouldn't know . Rust is rust in my book .

MrBillyUK !

Focus RS, 182 gone
i had this problem on my old 1.8 16v, paid to have it cut out and a new arch welded in and sprayed, £500 both sides and that was years ago m8

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
182_blue said:
well stop giving dodgy advice then :clown:

If you read the original post , the rust doesn't sound that bad , he's after advice on rubbing it down and priming , no mention of cutting out arches etc .... If it was rusted through as bad as " you " seem to think then i doubt he would be after advice on sanding down .

So i'm guessin you've used these rust remedies seeing that you know so much about em ?

Maybe a good coating of good old waxoyl would do the trick eh ? Thats if you approve :p

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Hammerite Ancilliary Products&product=13386

You don't need a sledge hammer to crack a nut ya know mate :clown:

I think he was after some sound , constructive advice not a debate on whos right or wrong .

Some people on these forums are quite helpful , others just seem to try and outdo each other with the " i know better " attitude " so you must be wrong "

How sad :headno: !!

MrBillyUK !

In my experience (thankfully not on my own cars) rot will reappear at some point when a rust "cure" is a applied. Either needs grinding or cutting out and any metal removed replaced with new rot free material.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Loony said:
In my experience (thankfully not on my own cars) rot will reappear at some point when a rust "cure" is a applied. Either needs grinding or cutting out and any metal removed replaced with new rot free material.

Thats true . Rust is the enemy of cars . The guy asked a simple question so i gave him a simple answer . His question was just about a simple rubbing down and priming job not , a full blown cutting and out and replacing , which your right , is the best way to combat it .

But then you get some clown's who just don't want to listen to other peoples ideas . Maybe the guy is on a tight budget , or its not as bad as some people think it is .
All advice is welcome i'm sure , non constructive crititicism doesn't really solve any problems in my experience .

MrBillyUK

ahh mate you take yourself far to seriously, take a tablet mate, he is free to follow your advice if he wishes, or mine, im not saying mine is better than yours, you have taken the hump for no reason.
im trying to give him good advice, if he wants it to go away and not come back he can follow my advice, if he wants it to reappear shorly after doing it he can follow your advice :) , i supposed i made an assumption that a 14 year old car will have more than just surface rust, and i assumed that as he didnt want the rust now he wouldnt want it to come back after doing all that work to it

Last edited:
  "Nissan" Sunny 1.6 16v
Cheers for all the advice, I will sand it down.. and if it is worse than I thought then I will go down the route of cutting it out and welding

Anth1234 said:
Cheers for all the advice, I will sand it down.. and if it is worse than I thought then I will go down the route of cutting it out and welding

yeh, good idea, let us know what its like underneath mate, take a picture if you can, bear in mind sometimes it looks like you have removed all the rust but havnt, so look for very fine flecks of rust in the metal too, as rjay says its probably coming from the inside out, so check that too

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
im with MRBILLYUK on this one guys...the rust wont come back if you do it properly. first off, you need the air (humide air at that) to make it rust, if its sanded down, painted with rust remover/preventer and then primed/painted properly the rust wont come back for the simple reason the metal is sealed under the paint. rust isnt an infection... its a reaction.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The Fatty said:
im with MRBILLYUK on this one guys...the rust wont come back if you do it properly. first off, you need the air (humide air at that) to make it rust, if its sanded down, painted with rust remover/preventer and then primed/painted properly the rust wont come back for the simple reason the metal is sealed under the paint. rust isnt an infection... its a reaction.

^^^^^^ Thank you :) ^^^^^^

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
182_blue said:
ahh mate you take yourself far to seriously, take a tablet mate, he is free to follow your advice if he wishes, or mine, im not saying mine is better than yours, you have taken the hump for no reason.
im trying to give him good advice, if he wants it to go away and not come back he can follow my advice, if he wants it to reappear shorly after doing it he can follow your advice :) , i supposed i made an assumption that a 14 year old car will have more than just surface rust, and i assumed that as he didnt want the rust now he wouldnt want it to come back after doing all that work to it

I don't take myself too seriously at all .
Just saying that theres more than one way to skin a cat , to coin a phrase .

Neither way is wrong , all depending on the amount of rust that is present and the amount of money he has to spend . I was merely giving advice on a method that " could " be an easier and cheaper fix for the problem .

I'm always open to other peoples suggestions and never too fast to put other peoples ideas down .

MrBillyUK !

106 GTi
The Fatty said:

This all depends on the severtity of rust which is impossible to tell until you sand down and start giving the suspect area a good proding ... oh er! ;)

Providing it is just suface rust then it may be sortable without any major metal work, unfortunatley in most situations rust goes deeper than this, as cars tend rot inside out. This is when rust appears from under what was before perfectly good undamaged paint. If you remove all the rust properly in this situation a new panel or piece of metal will need to be welded in. This is common for wheel arches and sills etc.

A stone chip that has broken the paint and gone rusty should be sortable with a sand down and rust treatment as this wont have rotted inside to out.

any reports yet ANTH, i personally would still go for removing the rust as i said way up the top (whether it be by a quick sand on surface rust, or angle grinder on deeper rust, or completely removing it on badly effected metal), its the only way you will know it wont come back, i would not rely on just covering it over to cure it.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
182_blue said:
any reports yet ANTH, i personally would still go for removing the rust as i said way up the top (whether it be by a quick sand on surface rust, or angle grinder on deeper rust, or completely removing it on badly effected metal), its the only way you will know it wont come back, i would not rely on just covering it over to cure it.

This is where your ignorance is showing then as its not a covering , but it actually neautralises the rust , killing it dead and preventing the reoccurance of new rust .
Do you really think that a company such as Loctite would release a product into the market place that doesn't actually do what it claims , with the consequence of tarnishing and causing irrepairable damage to the brand name ? I don't really think so !
I work for a large chemical company , and many millions of pounds are spent on research and developement of new products and many thousands of man hours go into the rigorous testing of such products before they are released into the market place . We and i'm sure many other companys such as Loctite would go through a similar process before they are 100% comfortable that the product will do exactly what it claims to do and won't actually fail .

But i guess to the uneducated , this process isn't something that is often thought about .

MrBillyUK !

give it up now, im talking directly to anth as im really to long in the tooth to get in an argument with people like you, im trying to help the bloke, you have your opinion and i have mine.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
182_blue said:
give it up now, im talking directly to anth as im really to long in the tooth to get in an argument with people like you, im trying to help the bloke, you have your opinion and i have mine.

Correct ! We both have our opinions .

End of .

MrBillyUK !

"Nissan" Sunny 1.6 16v
182_blue said:

I'm not starting work on it till tomorrow, but will let you know how I get on.

"Nissan" Sunny 1.6 16v
HeheheheheheheheHHEHEHEHeheehehe..... oh dear lol...

Started sanding off the rust... part the rear arch was marvoulous and the rust went no problem... the bottom part of the arch how ever... well lets just say, are cars suppose too have holes? anyways i've started filling the hole in :| lots of work to be done, it's all good - I think :dead: